205 jack... Where should it live?
  • Register
  • Help
    al

Default 205 jack... Where should it live?

I noticed that there was something odd living under my passengers seat, and i yesterday discovered that it was my jack.

As the carpet has been cut away, and a mounting made for it, i thought that maybe this is where they are meant to be...? Even though it was still almost impossible to remove, even with the seat out of the car. WTF?

Advertisement

Should it live in the boot, or are they secreted under the seat from the factory?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

They were supposed to live in the engine bay on top of the drivers side guard. On the Aust cars which were all delivered with air conditioning this space was not available so the jack became a bit of an orphan. I thought they stuck it inside the spare wheel.

Jarrod

Fellow Frogger!

It was in a plastic box that was shaped to fit inside the spare wheel.It never fitted quite right but thats where it went.
    Regards Dennis

Fellow Frogger!

When I bought my pug I found the same with the jack but had no wheel-brace tho. I bought one and a few week later fiddling with the a/c I found the original wheelbrace on its original brackets and think its never been moved (interesting!). The jack is crappy now tho, need a new one. Puggy.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dalderton
    It was in a plastic box that was shaped to fit inside the spare wheel.It never fitted quite right but thats where it went.
    Regards Dennis
    Wouldn't it bounce around somewhat? Puggy.

my 205 is a UK import so has no aircon. The afermentioned posts are correct, it's meant to go in the engine bay. That said i've heard of oz delivered 205's with the jack either under the seat, or in the spare wheel area. Personally i can't be stuffed with taking it out of the engine bay so mine sits loosely in the boot

Fellow Frogger!

The carpet in mine is cut to fit the feet but theres no mount for it tho. Puggy

al

Thanks guys. After finding this and a killswitch i was concerned that it may have been used a bit hard in the past...

Probably doesn't matter, but i was a bit curious.
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Mine lives under the passenger seat too.
    I thought it didn't have a jack until I stumbled upon it one day!

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    . That said i've heard of oz delivered 205's with the jack either under the seat, or in the spare wheel area.
    Mine an Aussie delivered car with air and the jack is also under the passenger seat and secure. I recently put new tyres on and the spare is the factory recommeded Michy - the problem is it won't go back into the the factory craddle under the car now. How come? - buggared if I know it just wont fit!!!

With 205 Jill!

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    With 205 Jill!
    Good one Edge

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

Mine's under the passenger seat, it has a cut away in the carpet for it and a thread is in the beam under the seat for the jack to bolt to, easy to take out and put in, never had a problem..
    05' Megane 225 Cup

uk imports have the section behind the drivers side headlight for the jack.
    all aussie imports with air either have them under the passengers seat or in the spare wheel cradle.
    i dont recomend putting it in the spare cradle as mine was ruste3d to bits from the p.o having left it there.
    it also rattles around in the spare.
    i got a new similar jack and that lives inder the passengers seat.
    im going to make a bracket for the boot where the jack,crank,crossbrace and wheel spanner can fit without rattling.-BAZZ

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Ours is under the passenger seat too, although have never had the need to get it out. Hope it is not as difficult as you make out Al.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Just thought I'd add my
    When I bought my car, my jack was just sitting in the left hand rear passenger footwell, but I found that it sat quite nicely under the passenger seat so I moved it there.
    I didn't think that I had a wheel brace, so I went and bought one from Auto One, and then asked on Aussiefrogs where I could get (or find) the tool for lowering the spare wheel. I was then kindly pointed in the direction of the engine bay where I discovered the wheel brace/spare wheel tool
    So now I have 2 wheel braces, but the Peugeot one is so short that it's almost useless if the wheel nuts have been tightened with a rattle gun
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Fellow Frogger!

The reason i have been told that the brace is short is so you don't go nuts and over tighten the wheel nuts as this can pull the brake disc out of shape no sure how accurate this is but have heard this from a number of people now...
    05' Megane 225 Cup

al

There is no real need to tighten wheel nuts that much... I think someone said between 65 and 75 nm (or whatever the unit is) is sufficiant.

Overtightening them is sure to cause problems somewhere along the line - plus it is bloody irritating trying to undo them...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by pugsy
    The reason i have been told that the brace is short is so you don't go nuts and over tighten the wheel nuts as this can pull the brake disc out of shape no sure how accurate this is but have heard this from a number of people now...
    Hmm, that does sound a bit worrying but luckily I don't tighten wheelnuts excessively myself, and my discs don't feel like they've warped
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

yah sorry caught this thread a lil late, but yah both my s1 and s3 have jacks under the passenger's seat - and have not had any probs, with them - and the brace found neatly tucked away behind the drivers side headlight.

the reason why its so difficult for al is coz hes such a pussy.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

al

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    the reason why its so difficult for al is coz hes such a pussy.
    Either that, or the fact that it had never been moved before... The thing is brand new!

Also, my 6'4 frame doesn't take well to examining the underside of the seats... (Asanka, how do you find access to the jack...? )
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by al

Also, my 6'4 frame doesn't take well to examining the underside of the seats... (Asanka, how do you find access to jack...? )
    I've never tried to access Jack, Jill is more my thing

Thread Information