504 tappets
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 504 tappets

Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 tappets

Just put the head back on, what are the tappet clearances on the 5o4 engine regards cane toad still haven't recovered the work shop manual

Advertisement

Icon4 504 tappet clearence

Hi cane toad,

0.10 mm inlet
    0.25mm exhaust cold.
    You will find more info at http://www.504.org/general_GB.htm
    select technical info then the us owners handbook save page 62. it has a small chart of which valves to adjust when which other valve is fully open.

Cheers Ranger
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

if you check the inside bonnet there may be a factory label that gives the clearances. Mine does, its a '79 GL. The clearances are given as follows:

Exhaust: 0.25mm

Outer Inlet (cylinders 1 & 4): 0.20mm

Inner Inlet (cylinders 2 &3): 0.10mm

I am pretty sure earlier references do not discriminate between the clearance for inner and outer inlet valves. Whether this was due to knowledge gained during the engines development or simply a variation between versions/generations I do not know.

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Hi ade,
    I must admit that in my years assosiated with pugs, I have not heard of a different valve clearance for the inner cylinders of an engine, sounds

can you post a photo of your under bonnet sticker?

do you have any other reference/s?

or are you pulling our legs?

Cheers ranger.

hi ranger

I don't blame you for being cynical. I even went out to check the sticker in the middle of writing just to be sure. It may have something to do with variation in temp, who knows.

As for taking a photo, I dont have a digital camera so can't help you there. I know get with the times etc. Plus after 26 years under a hot bonnet it aint the clearest piece of literature.

It just occurred to me that it may have been added after production during a service.

Anyway, for general interest I will add this private correspondance to the thread, there must be somebody else out there able to confirm for you and give you piece of mind.

ade

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

I just checked the haynes manual for both 504 and 505. Both give 0.25mm for exhaust and 0.10mm for inlet (only). Will check the sticker again in the daylight just make sure it is actually for a 504/XN!

Default 504 tappets

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Hi cane toad,

0.10 mm inlet
    0.25mm exhaust cold.
    You will find more info at http://www.504.org/general_GB.htm
    select technical info then the us owners handbook save page 62. it has a small chart of which valves to adjust when which other valve is fully open.

Cheers Ranger
    I believe that the addition of Exhaust Gas Recirculation made for the odd variation in valve clearance.

Even though I've removed all the EGR gear from my '79 504 I still set the clearances as per the yellow underbonnet label. No extra noise evident.

Adj. valve clearances.ENGINE COLD. Cyl No 1 at rear [flywheel]

Inlet...0.10 [0.004"] for cylinders 2 & 3.
    Inlet...0.20 [0.008"] for cylinders 1 & 4.

Exhaust...0.25 [0.010"]

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    I believe that the addition of Exhaust Gas Recirculation made for the odd variation in valve clearance.

Even though I've removed all the EGR gear from my '79 504 I still set the clearances as per the yellow underbonnet label. No extra noise evident.

Adj. valve clearances.ENGINE COLD. Cyl No 1 at rear [flywheel]

Inlet...0.10 [0.004"] for cylinders 2 & 3.
    Inlet...0.20 [0.008"] for cylinders 1 & 4.

Exhaust...0.25 [0.010"]

Why was the difference in clearnace not in the Haynes manual, atleast for the 505? Or is the EGR unique to Australia? By the way, removing all the EGR crap, did it make much difference?

Default 504 tappets

Quote Originally Posted by ade
    Why was the difference in clearnace not in the Haynes manual, atleast for the 505? Or is the EGR unique to Australia? By the way, removing all the EGR crap, did it make much difference?
    ade,
    Why the difference?? Because it's a Haynes manual!
    I don't think that Haynes bothered to update, also cars sold in the UK were devoid of most emission gear up to the early "80's.

The only difference removing the EGR made was to give a tidy engine bay.
    The EGR was working prior to removal so performance seems identical.

I have a '78 edition 504 glovebox manual in my library. It shows the "odd" clearance details.

PS. To be fair to Mr Haynes I have a later version of his 504 manual. It has info on emission gear and the BW 35 auto trans. Possibly done for the Aus. market?

ade,
    I don't think that Haynes bothered to update, also cars sold in the UK were devoid of most emission gear up to the early "80's.

I have a '78 edition 504 glovebox manual in my library. It shows the "odd" clearance details.

PS. To be fair to Mr Haynes I have a later version of his 504 manual. It has info on emission gear and the BW 35 auto trans. Possibly done for the Aus. market?
    Only 4 thou eh? That's not exactly a lot of clearance. Obviously it works though.

JohnW

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the replys and information, even a simple question can open a small can of worms well one or two worms anyway regards cane toad

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

ade,

if the only benefit of removing the EGR was a cleaner engine bay then i am in. One of the great things about the 504 is its balace between sophistication and simplicity. That bowl of engine bay spaghetti is just not in the 504 spirit.

And cane toad, yep, one simply question can open up a can of worms in this place. There is a dozen opinions for every question but its a better alternative than say 10 or more years ago when there was only typically one opinion, Mr Hayes! Viva la informacion revolution!

Fellow Frogger!

Not wrong one of the best things that has happened for me in regards to owning Pugs shame it didn't hs\appen 20 years ago regards cane toad

Thread Information