Please Help Me... I don't know
  • Register
  • Help

Icon14 Please Help Me... I don't know

Hey guys.

To the point, I know it has been asked before, however there has been no thread dedicated to it and I'm sure some punters out there would like to hear your wise words...

Advertisement

Is there ANY way to lower a Peugeot 206 GTi 180 and get better performance?

Discuss

Thanks for your help...

P.S. I'm not planning on doing this, if I could improve performance, I would however lower it no doubt. It defiantly would give the 180 a tougher stance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please Help Me... I don't know-206-lowerd.jpg  

ANY way??! for sure rusty, but ANY is ussually the equivalent of $$$$$$$$. I'm sure a big tuning firm (ie APEX, SHOWA, OHLINS, etc) in the UK already have a motorsport kit. Since the 206 is raced in the UK in the 1600 cup so do a search there. Racers do things well, and they generally lower the car too. - Chris

ps, chopdaspringzbro!
    ... ptui!

did the rusymunga lubricate the rustymodel?

ed ge

People told me not to lower my s16 as it would compromise the dynamics and ride comfort....

However It has drastically improved the handling. And who cares about ride comfort when you want to go fast anyways

They really aren't that hard to lower... You just need to find someone who is competant with torsion bar systems

Wholesale suspension in penrith did mine. Throughly recommended!

So how is that 180 coming along Rusty? Still be here next week?
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    It defiantly would give the 180 a tougher stance
    The first thing I would do is to get a 4 inch lift kit and some 31" Swamper 4x4 tyres. Then after cutting the fenders and doing a bit of hammer work your 180 will look REAL TOUGH. This setup is very useful especially in Sydney traffic I hear.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 12th October 2005 at 08:13 PM.

Haha, funny stuff malcom

This is great, I really would like to lower it... could anybody advise me where to go (sydney-chatswood) and how much, roughly it would cost... I have no care for ride comfort, I liked the RX7 and you can imagin what that was like

James 504... Peugeot are fluffing me around abit, "it will be here in two weeks",
    "I thought you said one",
    "no, no we are having some trouble because of the 'motor show'"
    "ohh k, k"

"hello, just wondering about my peugeot",
    "oh......."
    "ummmm, hello??? Peugeot man???",
    "oh........... yes yes,, I forgot I was talking to you, what was it you asked again?"
    "when is my puggy pug pug coming to town",
    "Oh.... you mean the 180"
    "YES THE 180, WHEN IS IT ARRIVING!"
    "should be two weeks sir",
    "BUT YOU SAID THAT A WEEK AGO!!!!"
    "sir calm down please"
    "ahhhhhhhhhrg I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE, I WANT MY PEUGEOT"
    "beep beep beep beep"

Oscar goes off and bangs his head on table...

Man the car business is annoying

IMO the '180 looks great at its stock ride height. Gives a rally car look to it. The pic of that lowered '180 looks weird.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    IMO the '180 looks great at its stock ride height. Gives a rally car look to it. The pic of that lowered '180 looks weird.
    Yeah Jude, I am with you on this one, usually I rekon a bit of lowering to most cars is good, but in the case of the 180 I think it's fine the way it is out of the factory. Helps clear speed humps!

Hey rusty, I take it your 180 wont be brand new, but more than likey will stil have some warranty. It may be a good idea to hold off any work until the warranty runs out. Hopefully by then you'll have a better insight into what you want to do after you have had the car for a while.

And if anything does go wrong during the warranty period you will be covered. Mark my words you don't want to have anything go wrong with the car when you have a mod in the close vicinity. What how quickly they'll squirm out of fixing you car.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    Yeah Jude, I am with you on this one, usually I rekon a bit of lowering to most cars is good, but in the case of the 180 I think it's fine the way it is out of the factory. Helps clear speed humps!

Hey rusty, I take it your 180 wont be brand new, but more than likey will stil have some warranty. It may be a good idea to hold off any work until the warranty runs out. Hopefully by then you'll have a better insight into what you want to do after you have had the car for a while.

And if anything does go wrong during the warranty period you will be covered. Mark my words you don't want to have anything go wrong with the car when you have a mod in the close vicinity. What how quickly they'll squirm out of fixing you car.
    Yeah the car is new. I had no idea that lowering it would void the warrenty... Damn! Well when the warrenty runs out, your probably right I will have a good idea of what I want to do to the car. I never said I dont like the look of the car at its normal ride hight, my however is that it looks better lowered. Tougher stance.

Chop Da Springz Braa

After lowering it, add some titanium skid plates underneath so it sparks up when it bottoms out like the old F1 cars
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Install one of these kits on it rusty... (once you chop da springz)

http://www.gotflames.net/

it's shit hot bro.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

From a completely cosmetic point of view, I think the 180 could do with being heaps lower. The big wheels and short overhangs make it look like its on tippy toes. I still say chuck a set of 16's on there, dump it on its azzz

Try these in dark silver...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please Help Me... I don't know-vs103245-gr16.jpg  

That 180 in the pic used to belong to Blu180, if i were you id try pm'ing him and see if he can help you out....

Ive had mine for 1.5 years now and around sydney if it was anylower you'd need a kidney belt

Its very Very Stiff in ride so if your going to lower it kiss your kidneys goodbye
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    Install one of these kits on it rusty... (once you chop da springz)

http://www.gotflames.net/

it's shit hot bro.
    This is the Australian site: http://www.flamethrowers.com.au/

Seriously thinking about it. For only $165 can have flames coming out the rear. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    From a completely cosmetic point of view, I think the 180 could do with being heaps lower. The big wheels and short overhangs make it look like its on tippy toes. I still say chuck a set of 16's on there, dump it on its azzz

Try these in dark silver...
    Hi mmm....corners... I like those wheels... I would probably get them in 17's... Love oz wheels..

qd180... I owned a S2 RX7 and LOVED it, I know what sensation your talking about kidny's that is...

Malcom, what car would you put it on. I would only put it on the 180 if tiny blue flames that came no where near the paint came out and only on command. That would be cool. As long as it affected nothing on the car

DAAAAMMMM check this out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please Help Me... I don't know-porsh%2520flaming.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga

Malcom, what car would you put it on. I would only put it on the 180 if tiny blue flames that came no where near the paint came out and only on command. That would be cool. As long as it affected nothing on the car
    Surely you have come across sarcasm before?
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    ANY way??! for sure rusty, but ANY is ussually the equivalent of $$$$$$$$. I'm sure a big tuning firm (ie APEX, SHOWA, OHLINS, etc) in the UK already have a motorsport kit. Since the 206 is raced in the UK in the 1600 cup so do a search there. Racers do things well, and they generally lower the car too. - Chris

ps, chopdaspringzbro!
    DMS in Albury make coil-overs...
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod
    Surely you have come across sarcasm before?
    oh dear, he thinks I was for real.

err

respecpta Rusty.

P.S. Rusty, If you do actually install the flame thrower kit on your 180..err I gotta see that, I am always in your hood (chatswood)
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

naaa wouldn't bro. I really couldn't be botherd for something I would constantly worry about screwing my painjob/exhaust system/engine.

But you should still come out for a drive

Stiffening the suspension may make it handle better on a race track but it's not going to help it absorb bumps and handle well on real-world twisty roads is it?

Do the royal national park on a stock '180 and do it again on a stiffened version. Get a passenger to note your corner entry and mid-corner speeds. The stiffened one may feel faster because the car feels like it's trying to bounce you off the cliff.

If you lower it and want to keep the handling, lower it slightly and retain the same spring rates as stock. The stock dampers should have enough travel in them to be fine. If you want to go even lower and find the stock dampers don't have the travel, get some custom ones but keep the valving similar.

Peugeot designed the springs, shocks, roll bars to all work cohesively together. Even the stiffenes in the tyres due to their profile comes into play. Changing one or two things will have unknown effects, most likely detrimental, even on the race track. So if you stiffen one thing up, you most probably will have to get the rest of the system to match. Too many forget the roll bars.

There is no magic mantra of bodyroll=bad, therefore reducing bodyroll=good! I've driven plenty of cars that have been stiffened up to reduce bodyroll. Yeah they feel like they are more stable initially, when you're not pushing the car because there's no bodyroll. But try turning in at higher speeds, and where the stock car would roll a little, but the outside front wheel would key into the surface, grip and around the corner she went. The stiffened version with its frankenstein combination of stock and 'sport' suspension parts when turned in hard, ends up with bugger all weight transfer to the outside front wheel and goes off skating understeer.

If you want to modify it, go ahead by all means. Just make sure you have it done properly as the '180 has its suspension designed to a high level to make sure the car handles well, and just stiffening up the springs may make it feel more stable and more 'sporty' during normal driving, but could cause it to handle like a pig. Even if the lowering, stiffening is done properly and matched well, just be aware that reduced ride comfort is only one aspect of stiffened suspension. The other aspect is that when the wheel hits a bump, a larger part of that upwards motion of the wheel is now transferred to the chassis of the car i.e a greater force trying to separate the car from the road. Now imagine that occurring as you're hammering around the twisties and hit a bump mid-corner.

The stiffeness aspect of suspension design is a compromise between limiting unwanted weight transfer and compliance on the roads it's designed for.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    There is no magic mantra of bodyroll=bad, therefore reducing bodyroll=good! I've driven plenty of cars that have been stiffened up to reduce bodyroll. Yeah they feel like they are more stable initially, when you're not pushing the car because there's no bodyroll. But try turning in at higher speeds, and where the stock car would roll a little, but the outside front wheel would key into the surface, grip and around the corner she went. The stiffened version with its frankenstein combination of stock and 'sport' suspension parts when turned in hard, ends up with bugger all weight transfer to the outside front wheel and goes off skating understeer.

If you want to modify it, go ahead by all means. Just make sure you have it done properly as the '180 has its suspension designed to a high level to make sure the car handles well, and just stiffening up the springs may make it feel more stable and more 'sporty' during normal driving, but could cause it to handle like a pig. Even if the lowering, stiffening is done properly and matched well, just be aware that reduced ride comfort is only one aspect of stiffened suspension. The other aspect is that when the wheel hits a bump, a larger part of that upwards motion of the wheel is now transferred to the chassis of the car i.e a greater force trying to separate the car from the road. Now imagine that occurring as you're hammering around the twisties and hit a bump mid-corner.
    Yeah, spot on!!

If you're going to be driving on public 'fun' roads it is rare to find a road that doesn't have at least one of those corners with a bump mid corner at wrong time or the odd corrugations. That's really where the 180's stock suspension is preferable over modified in my opinion. If you did it right, it could turn out to be great but as said before - dollars!

Handling wise - driven properly, with good tyres, they hold their own absolutely stock standard IMO!!
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

Doesn't the 180 just have same torsion bar system as every other 206? Only thing different would be spring rates and shocks, shouldn't be any harder to lower.

Thread Information