Mi16- Brake master cylinder
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mi16- Brake master cylinder

My late 1992 Mi16 Brake master cylinder is in need of replacement.
    My usual practise is to have cylinders sleeved and then fit a kit.
    BUT
    I am told there is no kit for this cylinder and that I will have to purchase a new unit ($175 + Gst).

Advertisement

My question is - is there a kit available or will I have to get the whole new unit?

Ta
    Roland

Not worth rebuilding these days. Try Carrevelle in Melbourne (03 98909061)for a good price on a newby
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

strangely enough, my early 92 mi16 broke a master cylinder recently and had to be replaced (along with five brake lines due to wear) and no, its not worth reconditioning, a new unit will cost $181.25 from my mechanic, the whole job plus labour was $630 odd

have a look at your brake lines, if they havn't been replaced yet then chances are they should be

'92 405 mi16

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Not worth rebuilding these days. Try Carrevelle in Melbourne (03 98909061)for a good price on a newby

That was the price from Caravelle!

Quote Originally Posted by nick86
    strangely enough, my early 92 mi16 broke a master cylinder recently and had to be replaced (along with five brake lines due to wear) and no, its not worth reconditioning, a new unit will cost $181.25 from my mechanic, the whole job plus labour was $630 odd

have a look at your brake lines, if they havn't been replaced yet then chances are they should be

While I agree with your comments that replacement is better, I have found from experience that a stainless steel sleeve with a new kit, while not much cheaper, will last an awfull lot longer than a new cast iron unit.

In fact I replaced (rather than sleeve and kit) my master and slave clutch cylinders on my '86 505 Estate about 18 months ago with new units only to find that they were pitted allready, wore out the cups and seals within 12 months and needed sleeving and new kits anyway. Now the kind man at the brake shop said to me that often cast iron units have sat on the shelf for a while and because they are "packed" in brake fluid but not neccessarily sealed in an air tight bag then they can absorb moisture and get rusty inside.

I will, however have a good look at the brake lines and replace them if there is any doubt.

Ta
    Roland

Thread Information