Fuel guzzling 205 GTI
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fuel guzzling 205 GTI

Hi Guys.
    The 205 GTI has recently had a second hand engine fitted and runs pretty well. The only issue is that it absolutely drinks the fuel!

It's using 10-11l/100 at a guess... what could be causing it to burn so much fuel? It's like gold

Advertisement

Cheers.
    -- DJ

Fellow Frogger!

10-11l/100km around town or strictly open road?

If you're referring to around town, that doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for an XU9.

Mostly freeway + 10 minutes of mountain each trip (mountain = 100km/h most of the way).

With the previous engine I could be sure that I wasn't putting so much fuel in?
    Next time it's filled I'll keep an accurate costing.

-- DJ

check out to see that the vaccuum advance is connected and is working properly,mine does not work and thats about the my fuel ratio.
    oh yeah,ive noticed that if i drive round calm and contented and put put,i get alot better milage.
    but usually i dont drive that way and get about your estemated milage.
    the hose for the vaccum advance is connected from the bottom of the dome thing on the back of the distributer and goes to a connection under the throttle body which is a bitch to find and access.good luckhttp://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

ive also been told that if the seal on the petrol cap is not a good one,you end up using more fuel.-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Perhaps the engine temp sensor for the computer is defective on your "new" engine and telling the computer it is cold. Lambda sensor is also a possible choice.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    ‘02 and ‘03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    ive also been told that if the seal on the petrol cap is not a good one,you end up using more fuel.-BAZZ
    That's called evaporation.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

My 1989 1.9 205 uses about 9.5L/100km around town. I 2nd the motion, have a look at your efi temp sensor, unplug measure the resistance dead cold and after driving around. Can't remember the exact values it should be, but I would hazard I guess at around 2kohms cold and maybe 400 ohms hot. Mine also ran alot more economically once I had the emissions checked and adjusted using an analyser! Funny that

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Boldy
    My 1989 1.9 205 uses about 9.5L/100km around town. I 2nd the motion, have a look at your efi temp sensor, unplug measure the resistance dead cold and after driving around. Can't remember the exact values it should be, but I would hazard I guess at around 2kohms cold and maybe 400 ohms hot. Mine also ran alot more economically once I had the emissions checked and adjusted using an analyser! Funny that
    My 1.9 GTi measured 5k cold, needed to be to match up with the 5k air temp sensor that I added as part of the Megasquirt conversion.
    This seems to be a standard.
    Graham

al

Graham, i was told you wrote an article on the Megasquirt in the PCCV magazine. This true?

If so, do you have a copy of the article? I would be very interested to see it.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Graham, i was told you wrote an article on the Megasquirt in the PCCV magazine. This true?

If so, do you have a copy of the article? I would be very interested to see it.
    Just a precis of the talk I gave.
    I have attached it (without connection diagram) to this posting. Go to the Megasquirt website for full information.
    Graham
    Attached Files Attached Files

al

Thanks graham. That is very interesting. I have heard of a few people overseas getting into the megasquirt kits, but it seems that the more modern cars systems are adequate. (205gti)

I am also a little lacking in knowledge of how to construct electrical things... Perhaps you should build a few and sell them?
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Thanks heaps guys - lots of things to check on the weekend!

-- DJ

VIP Sponsor

Thanks graham. That is very interesting. I have heard of a few people overseas getting into the megasquirt kits, but it seems that the more modern cars systems are adequate. (205gti)

I am also a little lacking in knowledge of how to construct electrical things... Perhaps you should build a few and sell them?
    No, the 205 GTi can be improved apon. For an improvment from the Series 3 Gti, 405 JAz and Mi16 (which all use Bosch Motronic) on you need either one of the latest Megasquirt systems which include ignition management and more accurate control of fuel or an Autronic/ Motec system.
    I was going to do a Megasquirt system for a 404 rally car but the guy went and bought a Datsun!
    I will use this ECU kit for my 1600cc 404 injection project, I'm presently waiting to see if the (very rare) cylinder head can be rebuilt.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    No, the 205 GTi can be improved apon. For an improvment from the Series 3 Gti, 405 JAz and Mi16 (which all use Bosch Motronic) on you need either one of the latest Megasquirt systems which include ignition management and more accurate control of fuel or an Autronic/ Motec system.
    I was going to do a Megasquirt system for a 404 rally car but the guy went and bought a Datsun!
    I will use this ECU kit for my 1600cc 404 injection project, I'm presently waiting to see if the (very rare) cylinder head can be rebuilt.
    Graham

Hi Guys sorry it is a bit OT but where are you guys sourcing your megasquirt kits from and have you had any luck with the ones that include ignition timing, I am looking to fit one to my duel fuel range rover

Cheers
    Tom
    Last edited by tcns; 13th October 2005 at 03:18 PM.

My series III gets 7.5L/100 km on the highway, and about 10L/100 km around town.

I thought that was par for the course... are you saying that's not normal?!?

Go for it Graham, I'll get one...
    205gti

al

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    Go for it Graham, I'll get one...
    Waiting list:

1. Casnell
    2. Alistair

Go Graham - you know you want to!

Also, back on topic... Apparently the vacumn advance doesn't make that much of a difference to fuel consumption.
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tcns
    Hi Guys sorry it is a bit OT but where are you guys sourcing your megasquirt kits from and have you had any luck with the ones that include ignition timing, I am looking to fit one to my duel fuel range rover

Cheers
    Tom
    I got mine from Glenn's garage, details on Megasquirt site. Glenn takes Pay Pal and sells a complete kit of components.
    $200 Aus landed.
    I have only built the fuel only Mark 1 version.
    See me after the Ampol Rerun in April re. building up kits, although I may be able to find some time beforehand.
    Graham

Thread Information