306 gti6 - cooling fans keep turning on!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 gti6 - cooling fans keep turning on!

Hi there

I have a 98 306gti6. About a seven months ago the cooling fans started turning on for no reason (ie the oil and water temp was fine) whilst driving..at the time I replaced the ecu for around 150 and all seemed fine.

In the past month it's started again... more specifically the stop light comes on, the cooling fans fire up and the temp (both oil and water) remains low at most.

The fault seems to be intermittent, which makes me think it may be a loose connection or something.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Advertisement

Sounds as though the fans are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. Do you have your air con on? The cooling fans will kick in more frequently if the AC is on.
    I don't think you've got anything to worry about really. I would only be concerned if the fans were on constantly and if the temp gauge was abnormally high.
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

1000+ Posts

No, the STOP light isn't supposed to come on.

It actually sounds like the central coolant temperature sensor connector that controls the fans and the stop light needs to be re-seated. On the Mi16 it's on the thermostat housing, a brown plug. I'm not sure which plug it is on the 306, but I'm almost certain this is the issue. Pull all the plugs off in the thermostat housing area, then push them on and off a few times to make good contact. Even better if you can spray contact cleaner in it before doing this.

This happened to me a year ago and the above sorted it.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Default Plugs

Thanks for your advice stuey... you're dead right - the stop light on the dash isn't supposed to come on and as I mentioned before sulley the both oil and water temperature is in the normal zone if not low due to the fans!

I'll have a bit of a search for the plugs... I've been told that they are on the left hand side under the front fender.... I assume we're talking left as I look at the car, opposed to when I'm in it?

Brown plugs... I'll start looking. Sorry to be such a retard!

On another note I dig my gti6!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    No, the STOP light isn't supposed to come on.
    Sorry guys... I thought you meant that the fans were coming on when you were at a STOP light, as in traffic lights! Looks as though you've sorted it all out now though...
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

Quote Originally Posted by nicgti6
    at the time I replaced the ecu for around 150 and all seemed fine.
    You replaced the ECU!? Do you mean something else? It's just that I would've thought the ECU would be extremely expensive to replace i.e more than a thousand bucks?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

Nic, no, the ones under the fender will be the ones on the relays, I assume. I meant the ones on the sensor on the engine, which senses the engine temperature, to switch the fans and warning light on. Although, you should check all of them. It's just that the ones on the engine have a harder life and are subject to vibration and coolant leaks etc. Note that it might not be brown - that's just on the Mi16, but the actual setup is similar.

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 12th October 2005 at 10:02 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

There is a low water level sensor in the expansion chamber on the side of the radiator that will turn on the "stop" light, but another warning light would also be on. The stop light is a master alarm and needs another warning light to be on. Level should be around 2/3 the way up in the expansion chamber.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

1000+ Posts

Yep, from memory, the temperature warning light next to the temperature gauge came on with mine. It's a fail safe I guess - if the temp sensor connector comes off or stops connecting, the fans come on and the STOP light comes on.

Alan, would that turn the fans on as well? I didn't think it would.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    There is a low water level sensor in the expansion chamber on the side of the radiator that will turn on the "stop" light, but another warning light would also be on. The stop light is a master alarm and needs another warning light to be on. Level should be around 2/3 the way up in the expansion chamber.
    Stuey is right. Exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I replaced the brown sensor next to the thermostat housing and the problem was solved.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Tadpole

Thanks gents

It seems to have stopped doing it again since I've had a fiddle with what I think is the correct plug...... The ECU at the front is about 140 bucks if anyone was interested.

Thread Information