Feedback - 407 HDi (6 speed Man)
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 Feedback - 407 HDi (6 speed Man)

As they say, "Knowledge is Power", for those looking to buy a 407 HDi, I thought I would let the world know about a mercy dash to Gold Coast and back for a family emergency. Virgin and Qantas wanted us to pay $800 for flights!! Stuff that........

We left Sydney on Thursday morning around 930am and hit Chevron Island spot on 730pm. 10hrs door to door inc 5 stops. As the GTi180 would have been a handful on long trips, my parents kindly offered the use of their HDi whilst they are in WA.

Overall, any car I buy know will be with cruise control (CC). I know the GTi180 is not a long distance tourer (can be tho') so PSA did not think that CC would be needed. It is such a saving grace as you can have your eyes on the road at all times. We did see 9 separate police speed and RBT units on the way north!!! If only the Pacific Hwy was dual carriage way the whole way!! This car is a SERIOUS "MILE MUNCHER".

The car was great, seats are well padded and supportive with the bonus of having a chunky headrest. I only started to get a sore "hump" just north of Ballina where the new dual carriage way starts.

All round vision is great - I love the "auto dimming" rear mirror at night time to stop the glare from following trucks/cars.

My only concern was when it came to overtake. I must be used to the instant power of my GTi180 but there is a noticeable delay (2secs) until the turbo spools up and delivers it 320nM. I would not buy an auto for this reason unless you are ready to use the "+/-" gate most of the time. For example, I would bring it back from 6th to 4th on arrival to a slow truck/caravan and then wait for the moment to pull out and overtake. This means you are on boost at the right time and not have to wait for power delivery. Oh yeah, remember to change at 4000rpm, this is something I have to get used to!! As it is so quiet, I look down and then see why the power has dropped off!

Audio - fantastic. I recently bought an m:Robe with a Belkin FM transmitter and as the aerial in the GTi180 is at the rear, I get poor pickup to say the least. As the aerial is built into the rear window on the 407's, there was not one CD used the whole way. Good clear sound thru the speakers, much better than a 206.

Tyres - Pirelli P7's. Very quiet and supportive. I chased a Suby Forester GT onto the beginning of the Brisbane Motorway just north of Tugun in the Gold Coast. For some, you will know it to be a tight left hander and then spits you out heading north. He was a bit of a smart arse so my wife, of all people, egged me on!! She was thankful we were not in the GTi180!!!
    The car tipped in very well, tyres did not give any hint of sqeaul (40psi cold) and gave "Mr Subuaru" a bit of a shock. I read many press reports saying how woeful the 407's suspension is. For me, it never "wollowed" / "bottomed out" and it was great in the roadworks areas of the Highway. 10/10 for a big sedan - leaves the Falcon/Commodores/Camry's for dead. Only comment with tyres is they are noisy when they hit shiny tarmac/glued sections of road. Almost sounds like an eagle screaming and this is quite noticable in the cabin.

Cruise Control Speed and Dash speedo differ in their "showed speeds". If the electric CC speed is set at 110kmh, the needle will show 115kmh etc. Never the same. I always set the CC speed at 5kmh above posted signs rather than relying on the needle. Seemed to give a more relative speed compared to other cars.

Advertisement

Looking at the trip computer, it showed we covered 1985kms at an average speed of 89kmh @ 5.9L/100km. We were 2 up with A/C on the whole time. It was hot on the way up!! We made it all the way to the Gold Coast, plus 2 days of running around and still had 1/4 of a tank left before we came home. I did a manual calculation of 5.6L/100km as I reset the odo also and always fill right up to the lip. Not bad at all!!!

USE BP DIESEL at the moment too. It has the lowest sulphur content and the cleanest you can buy in Oz. Pity it was not so cheap in QLD like the unleaded is!!

OVERALL - I would buy this car, no problem at all. My folks have the Executive model, am not sure what else this has over a standard model. Go the 6 speed manual. It sits at 1900rpm @ 110kmh. Very comfortable!!

You have to be VERY careful of the nose on the car, it does not take much to bottom out coming into driveways.

Thumbs up to the car and to my parents for allowing us to use the DIESEL BEAST. Score - 9/10
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

Default Diesels!

Oh how I love it when people love diesels! Wake up Oz and get buying! Driving a diesel successfully demands being in the right gear at the right time to make best use of the huge torque. Ask any truck driver. (Come on, Diesel Knockers....It's your turn!)
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

I'm about to do the same trip on Friday, but am travelling to Sydney for the motorshow. Oh, yeah, am taking the 180. I've done the return trip to Rockhampton (1400kms round trip) in February. Beforehand I thought that the 180 would be tiring & uncomfortable. It's not!!! The engine & chassis make the drive fun, the seats stop my back from getting sore (used to happen on long trips in the 306) & at highway speeds the ride isn't that bad.

I'm really looking forward to the trip. Especially as I'm running in convoy with a current model Monaro & a 2003 Audi S3. Should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    I'm about to do the same trip on Friday, but am travelling to Sydney for the motorshow.
    Hey Mac you should go via the New England hwy, same distance (BNE to SYD) but way better road and a lot less traffic than the Pacific goat track.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

That's the way I wanna go... Sadly at least one of the other drivers prefers the pacific. Will wait & see what happens. At least I'm coming back by myself, so will definately travel the New England. There are some nice little ranges on the way. mmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    That's the way I wanna go... Sadly at least one of the other drivers prefers the pacific. Will wait & see what happens. At least I'm coming back by myself, so will definately travel the New England. There are some nice little ranges on the way. mmmmmmmm
    One go inland and the other go the coast. Zero your tripmeters at the start and see what average speed you get.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information