One More Road Trip.
  • Register
  • Help

Default One More Road Trip.

“Well there was this 505 Wagon on Ebay” So goes the story.

Problem its in Jan Juc ,. Victoria and its not registered.
    Logical solution, put it on a truck and freight it north.
    Problem by the time I add up Jan Juc to Melb, Melb to Cairns, Cairns to Malanda , freighting is looking a bit expensive.

PlanB: Fly to Melb and drive it home.
    Great timing with fuel prices at record high
    Time will not be a problem as I’m on 8 weeks leave.
    Permit for the trip from Vic Roads is very reasonably priced. Less than it cost me for a one day permit Cairns to Malanda a while back.
    Was planning to use the time off for house/garden and car work, but am in need of an adventure.

Its an ’83 model, automatic, with under 200k on the clock, reportedly in good going condition, regularly used and maintained
    As I will be flying from Cairns to Melbourne, wont be able to take much in the way of spares/tools.
    A lot I can pick up on the way and am planning a pit stop halfway..

List so far.

Plug spanner,
    Set of Points,
    Feeler gauge,
    Timing light?
    Radiator hoses,
    Fan and A/C belts

Suggestions welcome.

Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

Advertisement

Spare alternator and starter motor if available.

Best of luck, sound like fun.

ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller

ed ge
    Thanks edge,
    thats a weighty suggestion, I'm flying down remember, be a bit of serious head scratching from the baggage handlers if they spot those with their radar.

Open to suggestions as to best routes to take, what to watch out for etc.
    Depending on how the car performs might head inland but higher fuel price could be a problem.

Paul,
    504-504-504
    Northern Outpost.

Paul,

Sorry about the weight problem, but I remember guy I respect giving that answer to a similar question about a trip in a 403 and I thought it good advice, maybe starter only since it's an auto.

Having cover part of this but by no means all, I'd look to trak just west of the mountains gives you the option of big open spaces fast driving (well almost) and up the hill towards civilization. Just checked out me map and you gotta wonder how you get to some places, but it all comes back to me now I've travelled most of it from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast it is brilliant too many choices, Give hwy 40 the Olympic way a go, Albury to Bathurst.

then you could go north thru dubbo to bourke, or turn off at cowra to forbes, parkes gilgandra and then the oxley and newell hwys to toowomba or chinchilla, **** this is Australia, to much to see too much fun to be had

good travelling mate, I'm only a bit green

ed ge

Paul, you done any of this sorta stuff before? It's not difficult or particularly dangerous but you need to keep your wits about you.

Travelling inland would break about even on fuel cause there's way less stop start driving and no hills to speak of. Not as much to see but when you do it'll stick with you. Try the mitchell and landborough hwys to the stockmans hall of fame in longreach, absolutely dripping in Aussie history.

The pug wagons eat dirt roads too.

keep writing
    Last edited by edgedweller; 11th October 2005 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller

ed ge
    How about a spare head and diff.

No seriously. Prepaid mobile Phone and RACQ membership. A sleeping bag and insect repellant.

You never know when one may have to kip in the car next to a vermin infested mire.

As for parts. Points everything else is a 25X solution.

Have fun.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

[QUOTE=edgedweller]Paul,

Paul, you done any of this sorta stuff before? It's not difficult or particularly dangerous but you need to keep your wits about you.

Edge have had a fair bit of experience and its the sort of travelling I enjoy.
    404 + caravan across Nullabor about 30 years ago (all dirt road then).
    Sydney to Birdsville in Subaru 4wd wagon with Subaru car club.
    Blue Mtns to Kakadu + Kimberlys for annual holidays ( taking in all the interesting bits in between) Subaru and present Toyota Hilux diesel 4wd dualcab.
    Plenty of outback driving since moving to Atherton Tableland 20 years ago.
    Its the sort of driving I enjoy, this location is a paradise for an observer of nature and nature/wildlife photographer like myself. So many different environments within a few hours drive. Rainforest, Reef, Outback all here.

The routes you mention bring back memories. Would definately prefer inland route it will all depend upon condition of vehicle.
    A one week delivery run could easily stretch out to two weeks or more in that country.
    If I find internet access along the way I will chronicle the journey here.

Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma
    How about a spare head and diff.

No seriously. Prepaid mobile Phone and RACQ membership. A sleeping bag and insect repellant.

You never know when one may have to kip in the car next to a vermin infested mire.
    n't
    As for parts. Points everything else is a 25X solution.

Have fun.
    Thanks Gamma,
    Small tent, sleeping bag definately making the trip, shame the canoe wouldn't class as cabbin luggage for flight down.

Will be getting a car charger for mobile phone.
    RACQ sounds like a good idea, have other vehicles covered. Have to check if they will cover unreg vehicles.
    Insurance wise will go for cover note or third party propperty insurance.

Will be contacting the cars' previous owner today to see what parts/tools come with it. Might even have a plug spanner.

Other items to take could include:
    Workshop manual,
    Multimeter/testlight,
    tyre pump

Time to do some serious planning.

Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

Paul,
    Don't forget to take some lengths of 15 amp cable with conectors, crimping tool etc as 505's in my experience are prone to the infamous Peugeot electrical gremlins. Take a multimeter too, and fuses, especially for the fuel pump!
    You will certainly have an adventure on the outback roads, but a good car for it. I guess tyres will be important - have a size that is easy to replace in the outback.
    Good luck,
    John505

Qld equivalent of Total Care for the RACQ - worth its weight in gold and takes all the stress out of it as they will fly you home and truck your car home for free if you break down terminally.

Quote Originally Posted by John505
    Paul,
    Don't forget to take some lengths of 15 amp cable with conectors, crimping tool etc as 505's in my experience are prone to the infamous Peugeot electrical gremlins. Take a multimeter too, and fuses, especially for the fuel pump!
    You will certainly have an adventure on the outback roads, but a good car for it. I guess tyres will be important - have a size that is easy to replace in the outback.
    Good luck,
    John505
    Thanks John505,
    Cable,connectors,crimper,fuses,multimeter added to the list.
    Think the 83 model will have the mechanical fuel pump so will include one of those.

At this rate this wagon will be as well equiped as an RACQ service van lol.
    The condition of the tyres/spare as well as how the car is running could well decide which route I take. Not worried about the fate of the tyres presently on it as the sister vehicle for it at home has some near new ones on it.
    For sealed road running I will probably bump the tyre pressure up a bit to give better fuel economy on the trip.

What fuel would be best?
    I think this model has the hardened valve seats.
    Will use flashlube anyway.
    Thoughts anybody on using ULP or PULP? Could be quite a difference in price over a trip this long.

Was using PULP and flashlube in the 504 with no problems

Paul.
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

Icon7

Paul,

If you come via the Albury/Wodonga route, why not stop at my place for a brew? It's about 3hrs north of Melbourne on the Hume and you'll be needing one by then. We could have a look and see if everything's tight and still where it should be on your new Pug. I've got all the tools you'll need. I always like meeting fellow AFers.

When are you planning this trip and how long do you reckon it will take you? Petrol is about $1.36/l here in Wodonga at the moment.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Qld equivalent of Total Care for the RACQ - worth its weight in gold and takes all the stress out of it as they will fly you home and truck your car home for free if you break down terminally.
    Ah yes Haakon would have been ideal.
    RACQ has agreed to transfer my membership from the 504 recently deregistered onto the new vehicle. However because it is ungreistered RACQ will only cover it at the basic level even though I have "plus" cover. Still roadside service and towing for 10k metro and 40k country better than nothing plus all for no extra cost above present membership.

AAMI have agreed to cover the car for third party property even though it is on permit. Needed to take out a one year policy but that can be terminated with refund.

Spoke with owner, no tools come with car, not even spark plug spanner. Obviously not a do-it-yourselfer but sounds like he has had it looked after.
    If it will make the drive I can fix any problem it has with parts from a similar Pug which was very well maintained but has rust problems.
    Has service and tune history, sarter motor replaced a little while back. In the last few months the muffler, master cylinder and radiator have been repaired, Its travelled under 200,000K.

Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Paul,

If you come via the Albury/Wodonga route, why not stop at my place for a brew? It's about 3hrs north of Melbourne on the Hume and you'll be needing one by then. We could have a look and see if everything's tight and still where it should be on your new Pug. I've got all the tools you'll need. I always like meeting fellow AFers.

When are you planning this trip and how long do you reckon it will take you? Petrol is about $1.36/l here in Wodonga at the moment.

Matt.
    Thanks for the invite Matt, very generous of you.
    Not sure yet exactly when I will be starting the trip but hopefully will be in the next few weeks.
    Haven't planned my route yet and it will depend on how the wagon goes weather I head inland or not, so probably will stick to the Hume at forst to check it out.
    Used to drive the Hume in my 404 from Blue Mountains to Albury when I worked in the Labs of a Dairy company years ago. Had a great dice one night with a v8 Holden. He had it geared for towing, flat out at 130 kph. He would pass me up the hills, I would fly past him at 180 on the downhill, twisty and flat bits. I pulled into a servo at Yass first, he couldn't believe that there was only a small 4 cylinder under the bonnet.
    Ah days long past.

Paul.
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

it just so happens ..... as this story goes......

I actually had a job interview last week over the phone. The reason it was over the phone? I am in Melbourne the job is in Phosphate Hill, 150km south of Mt Isa. The next stage is if they like the sound of me to get up thee and check them/me out,

If you're prepared to pay for fuel and air flight back and the car has a half decent chance of making it up there I will consider driving it to townsville for the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by ade
    it just so happens ..... as this story goes......

I actually had a job interview last week over the phone. The reason it was over the phone? I am in Melbourne the job is in Phosphate Hill, 150km south of Mt Isa. The next stage is if they like the sound of me to get up thee and check them/me out,

If you're prepared to pay for fuel and air flight back and the car has a half decent chance of making it up there I will consider driving it to townsville for the adventure.
    Ade, thanks for the offer.
    That would still leave me with the problem of getting the car from Townsville to Malanda.
    Right now I'm enjoying the planning of the trip and looking forward to it.
    Thanks again.
    Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 504-504-504
    Ade, thanks for the offer.
    That would still leave me with the problem of getting the car from Townsville to Malanda.
    Right now I'm enjoying the planning of the trip and looking forward to it.
    Thanks again.
    Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

You ungrateful bastard! Seriously, I don't blame you. It was just such a bizarre coincidence. Me in melboure like the car (sort of), need to get to NQ like the car (sort of), and between jobs fiddling my thumbs looking for an adventure (definately). I thought it may have been divine providence!

Anyway, I will have to get my 504 up to Townsville if i take the job, its fly in fly out every 3 weeks, so poor me I will only be doing that drive once. Went up your way for my 1st time this easter, Cairns and tablelands and have just run out of the local Black Moutain coffee. Will have to pick up some more when I am up there!

anyway, have a great trip!

Good stuff Paul,
    the kind of stuff men are made of!!
    Reminds me of my youth and various road stories -like the one about when I blew a diff at Fords Bridge (near Bourke ) in 71-72 , driving my pride & joy an XP Falcon wagon. Anyways I sat there for 2 days living off wild duck & the biggest yabbies you have ever seen.
    A station owner finally came thru & took me in to Bourke, organized another diff with his wrecker mate, loaded it all up , on his series 1 landy, with plenty of extra tools & jacks etc, then it was "Beer O'clock " , so after about 25 Midi's we decide to eat & camp the night in the old pub we now owned ($6 per night ) and head off in the AM. We cooked our own breakfast in the pub kitchen ( the best bacon eggs, snags , what ever you wanted) all include in the 6 Bucks.
    Any how we changed the offending diff over etc. etc. then as it was that time again he invited me to his ranch for the night , well have to say great hospitality , good cooking & cold beer.
    Anyways an overnight stay turned into a week,looking at the country, helping out , relaxing etc,- nearly married one of his daughters,- but that's another story.
    When i finally got back to "SYDLEY TOWN", were I was working in Pitt St I thought it was all a dream- no one in the orifice (Office ) would believe me about the way this bloke helped me & shared his home with a complete stranger broken down on the side of the road.

Have a great time Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ade
    You ungrateful bastard! Seriously, I don't blame you.
    anyway, have a great trip!
    Thanks ade. Could have worked out well for both of us if I didn't have the time available.
    Hope you get the job. Best move I ever made heading north. Not a way of getting rich but a fantastic lifestyle if you enjoy the bush and outdoors.
    Now where did I put those Barra lures?

Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPPERY PIZZA
    Good stuff Paul,
    the kind of stuff men are made of!!
    Reminds me of my youth and various road stories -like the one about when I blew a diff at Fords Bridge (near Bourke ) in 71-72 , driving my pride & joy an XP Falcon wagon. Anyways I sat there for 2 days living off wild duck & the biggest yabbies you have ever seen.
    A station owner finally came thru & took me in to Bourke, organized another diff with his wrecker mate, loaded it all up , on his series 1 landy, with plenty of extra tools & jacks etc, then it was "Beer O'clock " , so after about 25 Midi's we decide to eat & camp the night in the old pub we now owned ($6 per night ) and head off in the AM. We cooked our own breakfast in the pub kitchen ( the best bacon eggs, snags , what ever you wanted) all include in the 6 Bucks.
    Any how we changed the offending diff over etc. etc. then as it was that time again he invited me to his ranch for the night , well have to say great hospitality , good cooking & cold beer.
    Anyways an overnight stay turned into a week,looking at the country, helping out , relaxing etc,- nearly married one of his daughters,- but that's another story.
    When i finally got back to "SYDLEY TOWN", were I was working in Pitt St I thought it was all a dream- no one in the orifice (Office ) would believe me about the way this bloke helped me & shared his home with a complete stranger broken down on the side of the road.

Have a great time Paul
    Great Experiences,
    Whenever I returned from my journeys north it always took a few weeks to readjust.
    Everyone said I was just getting used to the "real world" again, but I knew where the real world was.

Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

Default Here we go.

ok here we go, fly out of Cairns on the "red-eye" flight 6:10 am. Tuesday 25th.
    Aussi Frogs stickers have arrived, my thanks to supplier of such things.
    The wagon will be wearing one for its trip north. Was considering mounting a "Peugeot" plate on the back but it might attract too much unwanted attention from "officious" sources.
    Tullamarine to Geelong by train.
    Meet owner of vehicle at station for handover.
    Owners father has a collection of Peugeots 404's 504's and 505's so fair chance this one has been treated as it should.
    Will give them an Aussie Frogs sticker in case he doesn't know about the site.
    Ex ( Ex number 2 that is) is living down that way and reports cool, rainy weather, going to seem funny packing jumpers and track suits in weather here that sees me wearing my nudist club uniform.
    Sight seeing will probably be confined to Victoria and southern NSW. Going to be too hot in outback NSW and Qld unfortunately.
    First stopover will be Ballarat at Ex no. 2. Her new hubby has a shed full of Simcas so he is an alright bloke.
    Ralph if your offer still stands I would like to call by your place for you to cast an expert eye over the wagon.

Paul.
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost- infiltrating the south.
    Last edited by 504-504-504; 22nd October 2005 at 01:33 PM.

Icon7

Paul,

Looking forward to meeting you. Just give me a day or two's notice. I don't know about the "expert eye" bit though, I'm still learning and have a long way to go! I've sent you a pm re phone numbers and directions.

Matt
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Well the trip is over, sob. Car and driver safely in Malanda.
    A fantastic experience glad I took the gamble.
    Started with the car catching fire and almost ended sleeping at a closed servo with an almost empty fuel tank just 20 min from home.

Will write more later, just didn't have time to internet on the way.

Sorry we didn't get to meet up Ralph but contacts just didn't get through.

Paul,
    504-504-504,
    once more at northern outpost.

Thread Information