Assorted 306 GTi Questions
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Assorted 306 GTi Questions

Hey - I'm new here, and wondering if you guys could help me (people seem to have experience with just about everything you could think of!! It's great!).

I'm having problems with my 1997 306 GTi I bought privately about a year ago. It test drove very well, but after taking it for my first long run as owner through the Adelaide hills, I noticed some problems. The airbag alert light began flashing, finally settling to stay on permanently.

I then noticed that under heavy acceleration, at higher speeds (say, winding it up in the 4000-6000 rpm range in 3rd), there was some shuddering through the front end. Hmm. I was worried with my new purchase!

Taylor's in Adelaide fixed the air bag light (wiring problem), and suggested a wheel alignment for the shudder. This took the edge off it; Brakes were due anyway, so I had them done next, along with another alignment. Slightly better, but still noticeable shuddering. Taylor's had a thorough inspection of the front end, but could detect no problem. I explained it only really happened under load at 100+ speeds - but of course they can't test for that.

I read someone commenting that clutches and pressure plates can wear - some said that a plate can go "blue" - does this mean that it'll warp? I've noticed that if I take it out for a run through the hills, sometimes winding it through the rev range, taking off from the lights etc afterwards gives severe shudder. This'll gradually dissipate.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. I am dreading asking Taylor's to do a clutch etc - they seem very expensive. Anyone in Adelaide who knows of another good pug mechanic? And what would you expect to pay for possible fixes?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Welcome to the forum blackpug. I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean by the shuddering. Could you give more detail of what the steering wheel does in your hands..i.e does it vibrate or pull from side to side? It could be that your wheels weren't balanced properly when the tyres were replaced. If so, this is easily solved. Beaurepaires on Pultney st in the City can balance our centreless pug wheels properly. I'm in Adelaide also and own a gti6 (white). If you wish, could meet up one weekend and I could see the problem for myself.

There are a couple of really reputable pug mechanics here that don't charge unfairly. I take my car to Mark at Lion Auto, now located in Enfield. The other reputable mechanic is Stuart at Charles st Autos, located in Unley.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    Welcome to the forum blackpug. I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean by the shuddering. Could you give more detail of what the steering wheel does in your hands..i.e does it vibrate or pull from side to side? I'm in Adelaide also and own a gti6 (white). If you wish, could meet up one weekend and I could see the problem for myself.

There are a couple of really reputable pug mechanics here that don't charge unfairly. I take my car to Mark at Lion Auto, now located in Enfield. The other reputable mechanic is Stuart at Charles st Autos, located in Unley.
    I to have a GTI6. I have experienced shuddering as well. I found that I would get it at speed around 100+kph so I got the wheels balanced by someone who knew what they were doing and the problem disappeared. Apparently the standard wheels are a little tougher to balance as they do not have a hole through the centre like most wheels, that is, you must have the right equipment.

I have also experienced shuddering under brakes which were worn and warped front disks. New disks and pads sorted that problem.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

By the way the airbag fault is a very common problem. Also if it hasn't been fixed properly it will happen again. The wire under the seat fatigues under use (when you move the seat backward and forward) and will eventually go open circuit. REALLY bad design. Probably an oversite that was fixed with later models.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Is the shuddering through the steering wheel, or is it the entire front end of the car. If it's the latter then it may be an engine mount.

Tadpole

thanks for the responses everyone.

U-Turn, I might take you up on that! The first time the shuddering happened, I was coming back on to the freeway from handorf, heading towards adelaide. It was the first time I'd really revved it...by the time I'd hit 6000rpm in 3rd, i kid you not the whole dash was shaking, and it felt (and sounded like) the whole front of the car was "bouncing". Since then I've had the wheels balanced and aligned three times (twice by Bob jane Pulteney St, once by beaurepairs Gouger St), the rotors machined and pads changed. It's better, but now the shuddering is different. If I go for a run on the back roads, and attack the twisties in low gears/high revs, afterwards it feels like the clutch has got hot, and that there is inconsistent "grab" between it and the flywheel. the shudder is now more pronounced when i move off from the lights in first (regardless of how quickly/how many revs are on board). It slowly goes after some sedate city driving, only to remerge should the tacho swing past 4000 in a session of spirited driving...

One time it is constantly there is when I'm driving up the freeway at 100ish kph, esp on incline - so really when the engine is under load. The engine mount issue is one I hadn't thought of, either. Have any of you guys had to have that done?

I've been a bit surprised at times about taylor's. No doubt they are a very impressive service centre, but I've asked them to fix the airbag light three times; each time I get the car back it's fine for a few weeks, then it plays up again. Couldn't it just be rewired?
    Has anyone had to have a clutch done? What would you expect to pay?

Thanks again for the responses, i really appreciate the help!
    Last edited by blackpug; 9th October 2005 at 11:29 PM.

Had the engine mount replaced in my 206 last week. Before that, when i turned my ignition there was a shudder through the car. There was also a slight knocking sound when i went around a corner with the engine loaded up. The moving of the engine did affect clutch take up too!

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpug

I then noticed that under heavy acceleration, at higher speeds (say, winding it up in the 4000-6000 rpm range in 3rd), there was some shuddering through the front end. Hmm. I was worried with my new purchase!

welcome blackpug! Good to see another GTi6 here.

Your vibrations that you are experiencing sound the same as mine, although mine kick in at lower speeds but still only under load. My mechanic has checked every single thing under the front end and came to the conclusion that it is one of the driveshafts (in my case the LH one). Forums in the UK back me up on this as well. Problem being that GTi6 driveshafts are unique to the 306 range so it is really fricken hard to get hold of a 2nd hand one and new ones cost around $500! I've lived with mine shaking like this for 6 months now as I am still trying to get hold of a 2nd hand driveshaft.

Anyway, despite this the car is amazing.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

to me, it sounds like an engine mount. the n5 306s had this issue where the engine mount bolts to the body of the car, the chassis itself cracks, making the mount loose. bit of welding is required here. get them to check it out

i also had a drive shaft replaced, but this created a knocking sound when turning more than shuddering under power.

Tadpole

Thanks for your responses!

I'll think I'll have a go at taking it to Charles St, and see what they say re engine mount/driveshaft...these ceratinly sound easier on the wallet than a clutch!!
    It has been bugging me - this is certainly the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. Not only does it handle soooo well, but the ride is so socmfortable. I've never even been tempted in to invest in different shocks springs (unless, you guys know of a way of improving them without Lowering/killing the stock look!!).Although I'm not into driving stupidly, there nothing like pulling away through a sharp bend from my friend in his stock wrx... even if I do get a pounding on the straights!

Two other questions - have any of you guys had to have you heater core replaced? Mine is starting to leak (only a little, just next to where the steering column meets the firewall). Taylor's quoted me over $1k, as the dash has to come out. Ouch!
    Second - after buying my car, I tried to contact the Peugeot Car Club of SA. I think it must be defunct - 10 months on and no repsonse from an email i sent to pccsa. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by pase
    to me, it sounds like an engine mount. the n5 306s had this issue where the engine mount bolts to the body of the car, the chassis itself cracks, making the mount loose. bit of welding is required here. get them to check it out

i also had a drive shaft replaced, but this created a knocking sound when turning more than shuddering under power.
    My engine and gearbox mounts were all replaced and it still vibrates under power. The car was put on a hoist and run up to 80 kph and there was definitely a wobble in the LH driveshaft. What is causing it I have no idea. I'll be well glad when it is fixed!

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Hi all, another 306gti6 question... My 306gti6 search will possibly ends here has anyone seen this 306 from following link? also shown in carsales.com.au

http://www.drive.com.au/used/search/...#DealerDetails

... bit pricey for the age? Any comments? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    Hi all, another 306gti6 question... My 306gti6 search will possibly ends here has anyone seen this 306 from following link? also shown in carsales.com.au

Yeah, dunno about $25000. You can get a brand new 206gti for that price these days and a near new 2nd hand 180 for $29K.

Default $25k 306

Mate you would be insane to buy a 306 for that price. If you have that money, why not a Clio Cup??

Take a punt, and buy higher milage & be very pickey about the service history. 306's that have major problems tend to have them due to lack of service, irrespective of milage. Looks great i white though.

Have you had a look at that black one in Warrandyte Victoria for sale? I took it for a drive, was in good nik but found a cheaper one in the end. Worth a test drive for sure

Good luck !

Called the dealer just 10min ago, ask him why the price is so much above market value (www.drive.com.au), he replied because of the custom made sheep skin seat covers,no accident, low mileage, serviced every 5000km, cam belt changed, and he also add probably the best condition gti6 around that's all for $6000++ extra on top of market value. Well, let's wait around until he figures out that's too overpriced.

I need a gti6 or gti sooner or later as I already mentioned in other gti6 topic, I bought a personalised plate sitting in my room and it gotta be a PUG grrr

Strada,

yea, I test drive the black gti6 in Warrandyte, was a good car at 115000++km, very clean, everything is fine, just need to replace front disc rotor, that's all. Then I went getting myself a plate, went back and it was sold for $17k a day before I rang up the owner grrr

[QUOTE=blackpug]thanks for the responses everyone.

U-Turn, I might take you up on that! The first time the shuddering happened, I was coming back on to the freeway from handorf, heading towards adelaide. It was the first time I'd really revved it...by the time I'd hit 6000rpm in 3rd, i kid you not the whole dash was shaking, and it felt (and sounded like) the whole front of the car was "bouncing". Since then I've had the wheels balanced and aligned three times (twice by Bob jane Pulteney St, once by beaurepairs Gouger St), the rotors machined and pads changed. It's better, but now the shuddering is different. If I go for a run on the back roads, and attack the twisties in low gears/high revs, afterwards it feels like the clutch has got hot, and that there is inconsistent "grab" between it and the flywheel. the shudder is now more pronounced when i move off from the lights in first (regardless of how quickly/how many revs are on board). It slowly goes after some sedate city driving, only to remerge should the tacho swing past 4000 in a session of spirited driving...

One time it is constantly there is when I'm driving up the freeway at 100ish kph, esp on incline - so really when the engine is under load. The engine mount issue is one I hadn't thought of, either. Have any of you guys had to have that done?

I've been a bit surprised at times about taylor's. No doubt they are a very impressive service centre, but I've asked them to fix the airbag light three times; each time I get the car back it's fine for a few weeks, then it plays up again. Couldn't it just be rewired?
    Has anyone had to have a clutch done? What would you expect to pay?

$1500 to $1800 for a clutch job

Quote Originally Posted by Chef

I don't care how good it is... Thats at least $5,000 over market and a rip
    off!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    welcome blackpug! Good to see another GTi6 here.

Your vibrations that you are experiencing sound the same as mine, although mine kick in at lower speeds but still only under load. My mechanic has checked every single thing under the front end and came to the conclusion that it is one of the driveshafts (in my case the LH one). Forums in the UK back me up on this as well. Problem being that GTi6 driveshafts are unique to the 306 range so it is really fricken hard to get hold of a 2nd hand one and new ones cost around $500! I've lived with mine shaking like this for 6 months now as I am still trying to get hold of a 2nd hand driveshaft.

Anyway, despite this the car is amazing.
    I'd just like to Boast that MY award winning Cherry Red 1997 GTI6 accelerates like a demon to red line thru all the gears up and down hill and NEVER shakes, vibrates or shudders..... do I feel good... ? YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by dhaw
    I'd just like to Boast that MY award winning Cherry Red 1997 GTI6 accelerates like a demon to red line thru all the gears up and down hill and NEVER shakes, vibrates or shudders..... do I feel good... ? YEAH!
    not yet....

- 306 gti6

off!
    I think I know this car. I definately know the dealer & I think the car is owned by a mate of mine. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it will have been maintained to a very high standard.

Anyway, I'll try and find out some info tomorrow. PM me if you're interested. I'll see if i can get you something that you can use.

Edit: It was pointed out to me that the final line sounds a bit evil. It should read more "I'll see if I can get any extra useful information". Saw the guy today & it is the car I was thinking of. I don't think you'll find another one in as good condition. They are very particular about how they keep their cars & it hasn't been thrashed.
    Last edited by Industrie; 11th October 2005 at 04:54 PM.

Tadpole

off!
    A nice Gti6 just sold for $24K. '98, 2 airbag with 64,000km through a dealer.
    There is one for sale in Qld '98 with 140,000km for $18K privately.

Wouldn't you pay extra for a '99 build and plate, 4 airbag, with only 54,000Km, with extras in perfect condition, and a warranty?

Redbook lists average km's for a '99 Gti6 as 110,000km and average private sale price as $19,200. So, one with half the km's with extras, in best condition from an accountable dealer could well be worth $25K.
    n'est-ce pas?

Hard to believe that they are holding their price so well! I got mine 18 months ago with 64000km on it for $18990 through a Pug dealership.

Tadpole

Just to update you guys on the problems I was having with vibrations in the front end - as it turns out, it looks like almost all of you were right!!

I took it into Stuart at Charles St autos (thanks for the referral U-Turn!), and he quickly diagnosed the lower engine mount and the wishbone bushes as needing replacement. I'm hoping to have these done in the next couple of weeks - hopefully that will provide a cure for the vibration.

Can I just put in a plug for Stuart at Charles St autos - am very impressed with the service thus far. I won't be driving out to Taylor's anymore!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpug
    Just to update you guys on the problems I was having with vibrations in the front end - as it turns out, it looks like almost all of you were right!!

I took it into Stuart at Charles St autos (thanks for the referral U-Turn!), and he quickly diagnosed the lower engine mount and the wishbone bushes as needing replacement. I'm hoping to have these done in the next couple of weeks - hopefully that will provide a cure for the vibration.

Can I just put in a plug for Stuart at Charles St autos - am very impressed with the service thus far. I won't be driving out to Taylor's anymore!

Thanks again for all the advice!
    Good to hear it's sorted out mate! Let us know how it goes. Yeah both Stuart from Charles st, and Mark from Lion Auto are excellent and fair. In all fairness I think Taylors have a quality mechanic in Greg, but I guess as a dealership they tend to inflate service prices. We're quite lucky to have such a good choice for pug mechs' down here.

On the side, did Stuart mention anything to you regarding the wishbones? My lower front wishbone bushes are coming up for replacement in the next few months. I've spoken to both Mark and Stuart and they've informed me that the current run of bushes they've been getting aren't as reliable and long lasting as the original ones. They've been trying to get some from other sources and I think have even tried to get them made out of nolathane somewhere. Could you do me a big favour and ask Stuart what the status of this is? Thanks.

- 306 gti6

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information