Another Mi16 blows a plug out!
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Another Mi16 blows a plug out!

Howdy home mechanics,

A while back Lunchcutter mentioned his Mi16 had blown a plug out. Well, it happened to me today. Just driving along at 80km/h and changed down to accelerate - BANG! Then a great misfire and fuel smell...

I knew what it was straight away. Stopped, and the plastic cover that goes over the plugs was all warped. Confirmed.

Thinking the worst (thread stripped clean) I got home and checked. The top 3 or 4 threads are pretty bad, but the rest looks OK, so I think it might be fine. However, the Bougicord is stuffed - the force snapped the metal sleeve that goes around the plug connector tip.

The thing is, I've had this car a year now, and as I'd been told it just had new plugs, I just didn't think about them. I literally have never looked under the cover, despite thinking over and over that I should have a check of the plugs...

I'd like to add that 'bloody Alan S' was right yet again on that other thread of Lunch's. The description of the engine sounding tappety when it has a loose plug was on the money. I thought it was because the injectors were noisier after their cleaning, but I did a 160km round trip yesterday (frighteningly for the health of the head, very briefly at speeds of up to 190km/h) and I'd noticed a slighly more tappety sound when I stopped at lights... Spot on, Alan.

Anyway, a couple of questions:

• what is the correct Bosch plug for the Mi16? Ordinary ones are fine. The Bosch site doesn't say for the XU9J4Z engine.
    • someone on here mentioned a good source for Bougicord plug leads (Peter T?) - can anyone enlighten me?
    Here's hoping the plug thread holds, or I'm up for a head off job.

Cheers

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hey Stuey,

EAI In Melbourne have the sets of leads for a good price.

I have also found that the only plugs that have worked really well in the Mi16 are the genuine Peugeot articles, they are an Equem *Spelling* with 3 electrodes. They are pretty well priced I got a set for $22 from my dealer.

I used to have missing problems with both NGK and Bosch.

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

1000+ Posts

Thanks Ben - I just spotted that EAI had them on their website. They don't mention specifically that they're Bougicord, but they have the logo on their webpage. I'll give them a call.

Oh, and if anyone has the black plastic spark plug lead cover available, do tell...

Cheers

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

al

Stuey, i replaced my leads recently with the bougicord ones... From memory they were $125 through my mechanic, so i would imagine they could be obtained cheaper.

I've actually left my plug cover off as it was causing some kinks in the old leads, and i can't see any reason why this would cause problems. (the 205 ones aren't covered in any way)
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Hey,

Just replaced the leads on mine. The Bougicord leads i got through Alpine Motors here in Canberra cost me $105. As for the cover leave it off. It's only there for asthetics and the only thing i can see it doing is trapping heat around the leads.

Cheers

Alex

Fellow Frogger!

Default bad luck

bad luck stuey, which plug was it? mine was number one.
    1984 505 STI

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Thanks Ben - I just spotted that EAI had them on their website. They don't mention specifically that they're Bougicord, but they have the logo on their webpage. I'll give them a call.

Oh, and if anyone has the black plastic spark plug lead cover available, do tell...

Cheers

Stu

Stuey,
    Bougicord leads - right here in Perth - Eurocare - $94.50 (ex gst)

Also I have Bosch Super 4 plugs - $53 a set - (FR78 is the spark plug code - Mi16).
    These plugs have been perfect since I put them in 6 months ago.
    In fact I have put them in all my Pugs, 505GTI, 505 Estate and 405 Mi16
    I got them from Gibbo's in South St.

Fellow Perth Pugger
    Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 10th October 2005 at 03:10 PM.

Last time I bought plugs for my 405 SRi, Bill McNamee of Pug club in Canberra
    sold me "BERU Ultra-X" plugs instead of the normal Valeo or Equem he normally has.

These plugs looked odd in that they had 4 earthing electrodes surrounding the centre electrode. similar to what I imagine racing or aircraft plugs are like. They are made in France. part no is UXF79. cost was same as normal plugs.

They have done 40,000k and have given no trouble.

According to link.. http://www.beru.com/english/produkte...zen/ultrax.php
    they are self cleaning. so will check how they have worn as they are due for replacement according to the service schedule but may be ok for another stint

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Quote Originally Posted by Decca
    "BERU Ultra-X" plugs . . . These plugs looked odd in that they had 4 earthing electrodes surrounding the centre electrode. They have done 40,000k and have given no trouble.

Decca
    The Bosch Super 4 plugs are of the 4 earthing electrode configuration.

4 times the life!

Roland

1000+ Posts

Hey guys, for what it's worth, good old Caravelle have Bougicord leads for the Mi16 for $69 + GST.

Lunch, mine was #4 from the flywheel. Doesn't matter though - I'm sure it's just that it wasn't tightened properly. It'd take a year to loosen with that plug cap holding it tight. I reckon it was done hand tight and left. Anyway, it seems OK - the plug tightened up firmly...
    Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default same plug

yeah mine was #4 from the flywheel, I wasn't aware of the convention of numbering, but yeh mine was the same one
    1984 505 STI

Thread Information