504 Cabriolet Rear Camber & Track
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 504 Cabriolet Rear Camber & Track

Just joined Aussiefrogs. I live in Boston, Massachusetts USA & have one of the few Peugeot 504 Cabriolets (1975 V6) in this country.

I have some questions regarding the rear suspension of the 504.

Advertisement

Question #1:

There is a fair bit of negative camber at the rear wheels of my car, with the wheels angled in a bit toward the top. I'm curious if this is a common problem on 504's/604's/505's. Does anyone have suggestions about the most likely causes -- and potential fixes?

Question #2:

As you may know, the rear track on 504's is narrower than the front track. Front track on the '75 and later 504CC's is 1490mm, rear is 1430, I believe. These are wider dimensions than the 504 Berline, but identical to the 604 as I understand it.
    I am interested in a possible fix to widen the rear track a bit on my car to bring the rear wheels out further.

First, is this at all advisable -- or am I best leaving well enough alone, to preserve the factory suspension geometry?

Second, assuming that this idea is not completely absurd, I have heard that the rear hubs on 505 Turbos are about 15mm wider than those on the 504's -- and can be installed on the 504 without a problem. I did some checking & I found that the 505 Turbo rear track is indeed about 30mm wider - 15mm per side -- than the '75 and later 504CC's.

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the case, and that replacing the
    504CC's rear hubs with 505 Turbo rear hubs is feasible and would widen the rear track 30mm overall? Are there any caveats (e.g., potential problems or surpises) that I should be aware of?

Best regards

-- Mark Diamond

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by MDiamond504CC
    Just joined Aussiefrogs. I live in Boston, Massachusetts USA & have one of the few Peugeot 504 Cabriolets (1975 V6) in this country.

I have some questions regarding the rear suspension of the 504.

Question #1:

There is a fair bit of negative camber at the rear wheels of my car, with the wheels angled in a bit toward the top. I'm curious if this is a common problem on 504's/604's/505's. Does anyone have suggestions about the most likely causes -- and potential fixes?

Question #2:

As you may know, the rear track on 504's is narrower than the front track. Front track on the '75 and later 504CC's is 1490mm, rear is 1430, I believe. These are wider dimensions than the 504 Berline, but identical to the 604 as I understand it.
    I am interested in a possible fix to widen the rear track a bit on my car to bring the rear wheels out further.

First, is this at all advisable -- or am I best leaving well enough alone, to preserve the factory suspension geometry?

Second, assuming that this idea is not completely absurd, I have heard that the rear hubs on 505 Turbos are about 15mm wider than those on the 504's -- and can be installed on the 504 without a problem. I did some checking & I found that the 505 Turbo rear track is indeed about 30mm wider - 15mm per side -- than the '75 and later 504CC's.

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the case, and that replacing the
    504CC's rear hubs with 505 Turbo rear hubs is feasible and would widen the rear track 30mm overall? Are there any caveats (e.g., potential problems or surpises) that I should be aware of?

Best regards

-- Mark Diamond
    Hi Mark

The rear negative camber is most likely caused by worn rear cross member mounts. It is a very common problem with V6 coupes and cabrios.

You got all your numbers right regarding track, hub thickness etc. 505 hubs are routinely used to widen the rear track of 504's. The question, however, is how much wider is the 505 turbo hub than the one now on your car. As to the handling question, how is your suspension? Brian Holm ([email protected]) has good used turbo springs and new shocks, so you may want to start there before thinking about track width. Inrerestingly, the 4 cylinder cabrio has a different track and handles much better than the V6 (1420 mm front, 1410 mm rear) so reducing the F/R difference in your car is not so far fetched.

Good luck

Thanos

Tadpole

Thanos --

Thanks much for your rapid reply, and your suggestions!

Actually, the handling of my 504 Cab is not too bad (although not quite up to the level of my other "toy", an Alfa GTV6), and there doesn't seem to be any sag in the rear, so I think the springs/shocks are probably OK for now. But I'll check into the crossmember mounts ("silentblocs", n'est-ce pas?) & the 505 hubs.

-- Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Hi Mark

The rear negative camber is most likely caused by worn rear cross member mounts. It is a very common problem with V6 coupes and cabrios.

You got all your numbers right regarding track, hub thickness etc. 505 hubs are routinely used to widen the rear track of 504's. The question, however, is how much wider is the 505 turbo hub than the one now on your car. As to the handling question, how is your suspension? Brian Holm ([email protected]) has good used turbo springs and new shocks, so you may want to start there before thinking about track width. Inrerestingly, the 4 cylinder cabrio has a different track and handles much better than the V6 (1420 mm front, 1410 mm rear) so reducing the F/R difference in your car is not so far fetched.

Good luck

Thanos

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by MDiamond504CC
    Thanos --

Thanks much for your rapid reply, and your suggestions!

Actually, the handling of my 504 Cab is not too bad (although not quite up to the level of my other "toy", an Alfa GTV6), and there doesn't seem to be any sag in the rear, so I think the springs/shocks are probably OK for now. But I'll check into the crossmember mounts ("silentblocs", n'est-ce pas?) & the 505 hubs.

-- Mark
    Mark, the 504 should easily outhandle the GTV if set up properly (at least the coupe does), so, I would get shock function evaluated and measure ride heights. Ground to center of the wheel arch should be 67 cm front, 67 to 68 rear.

You are correct about the silent blocks. However, you can't REALLY check them unless you drop the rear cross member, and once you've done that, you might as well replace them. Even if they are moderately worn they cause sloppy handling and increase the tendency to understeer.

Thanos
    Last edited by Thanos; 8th October 2005 at 07:44 PM.

Thread Information