405s, tow-bars and the law?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405s, tow-bars and the law?

I have just spoken to a guy selling a 405 SRDT wagon. He tells me they don't make tow-bars for them anymore.
    I was a little perplexed by this but more so when he told me that if I imported one form England for it, I'd have no recourse if the towbar failed and caused an accident???
    I figure, If I did fit a bar to one, who in the insurance/motor industry would really know where it came from.
    Apparently, Haymen-Reece used to supply them. Surely any good welder/engineering workshop etc could fit one successfully because I can't see how just because H-R don't make them anymore they could be illegal.
    Any 405 wagon owners with towbars here?? The guy says he has searched aus-wide for one and even has wreckers looking out for one for him.

Chris

Advertisement
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

jgp

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    I have just spoken to a guy selling a 405 SRDT wagon. He tells me they don't make tow-bars for them anymore.
    I was a little perplexed by this but more so when he told me that if I imported one form England for it, I'd have no recourse if the towbar failed and caused an accident???
    I figure, If I did fit a bar to one, who in the insurance/motor industry would really know where it came from.
    Apparently, Haymen-Reece used to supply them. Surely any good welder/engineering workshop etc could fit one successfully because I can't see how just because H-R don't make them anymore they could be illegal.
    Any 405 wagon owners with towbars here?? The guy says he has searched aus-wide for one and even has wreckers looking out for one for him.

Chris
    Hey chris its joe here. i have a hayman reece towbar on mine, don't know how long ago it was installed, came with the car, but i had a towbar made to fit on my alfasud years ago from aranda towbars on moss street. don't know if they are still there. all certified. i gather a sedan and wagon towbar to be the same.
    90 405 MI16
    96 406 ST

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Surely any good welder/engineering workshop etc could fit one successfully because I can't see how just because H-R don't make them anymore they could be illegal.
    There are places around that will make one-off towbars, a friend had one done for a Fiat Regata in Bendigo Vic a few years ago. From memory it cost around $4-500. You might ask at some old-style garages where you could have one made, if you canít find any advertising in the yellow pages.

I took this off the 405 a few months back, it was on the car when we bought it 2nd hand. Not sure if it is what you are after, (see photos). (also dont know if my dad will sell it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 405s, tow-bars and the law?-dscf0050.jpg   405s, tow-bars and the law?-dscf0051.jpg   405s, tow-bars and the law?-dscf0052.jpg  

Thanks Jo, and others. I was certain there would be plenty of places able to make tow-bars. My question really was about how this guy was told that an import tow-bar particularly could be almost illegal. I have had several things made up for different vehicles over the years including an anchorage bar for child seats in an R20TS hatch that had to pass engineers inspection before I culduse it. I will psot more if I buy the wagon and have to find a towbar for it.
    Apparently the sedan and wagon t/bs are different and not interchangable, but I haven't seen a sedan one yet and anything is possible when a grinder and welder become involved.
    Cheers, Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

I would expect the sedan and wagon towbars to be different due to the vastly different bumper arrangements. A UK towbar would be illegal I think because they tend to have an integral ball whereas they have to be separate out here.

Tadpole

Default 405 tow bar

Hi.. Thanks for posting the photo's of your tow bar. Was it a wagon that the bar was taken from?... If so do you recall the year model?

Cheers & thanks

Tadpole

Default 405 tow-bar - Mid-West West.Aus.

Likewise, have been looking for a tow bar for a 405 over here in W.A. and finding that manufacturers are not keen and none seem to be available privately. The market over here for imported cars and parts is limited. I would be very keen to know of any tow bar for a 2/95 model 405 sedan that is available. Happy to arrange postage/courier.
    Regards
    Peter

I'm chasing one in SA for my '92 Mi16 if anyone has one for sale!!

Anthony.
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by R10S FAN View Post
    I'm chasing one in SA for my '92 Mi16 if anyone has one for sale!!

Anthony.
    Melbourne's 'French Connection' as at least one still bolted to a series 2 Mi16 sedan. He charges about $150.00 for one.....
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    he told me that if I imported one form England for it, I'd have no recourse if the towbar failed and caused an accident???
    The guy says he has searched aus-wide for one and even has wreckers looking out for one for him.
    surely if you get a towbar from a wreckers you would not have any recourse either.

If you buy a new towbar from the UK and fit it properly it won't fail. The EU standards for towbars are very strict though I can't remember whether they apply to something as old as a 405. Quality makes in the UK are Witter, Brink and York.

You might want to to
    a: figure out if it is legal
    b: figure out how the police would be able to tell

Thread Information