306 gti general questions
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon5 306 gti general questions

Hi guys,

Advertisement

A few questions regarding the 306-gti-6. Have had my car for a couple of months now & loving every minute of it. Only hard aspect is adjusting from my wifes E34 535i from time to time, but its fun owning two very different & interesting cars.
    - Would anyone be interested in a 306gti day in Melbourne in December? Would be great to see other peoples cars in person
    - Has anyone replaced their front speakers without altering the door cavity & keeping the standard Audiovox stereo. If so, what did you use & are they any good. (If anyone wants to swap the Audiovox for another type of head-unit, or the stock rear shelf for one with some decent 6x9's, let me know)
    - Are the dodgy windows beyond economic repair? Basically i can hear metal-on metal as they go down plus the juddering. Also a little 'loose' when shut.
    - Roughly how much is my clutch job going to cost me at Regan motors?
    - Is the front drivers seat supposed to have a 'spring' back into position, or just a manual push (mine has no spring-back)
    - what car polish should i use (paintwork China blue in good-nik)

Thanks

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by strada
    Hi guys,

A few questions regarding the 306-gti-6. Have had my car for a couple of months now & loving every minute of it. Only hard aspect is adjusting from my wifes E34 535i from time to time, but its fun owning two very different & interesting cars.
    - Would anyone be interested in a 306gti day in Melbourne in December? Would be great to see other peoples cars in person
    - Has anyone replaced their front speakers without altering the door cavity & keeping the standard Audiovox stereo. If so, what did you use & are they any good. (If anyone wants to swap the Audiovox for another type of head-unit, or the stock rear shelf for one with some decent 6x9's, let me know)
    - Are the dodgy windows beyond economic repair? Basically i can hear metal-on metal as they go down plus the juddering. Also a little 'loose' when shut.
    - Is the front drivers seat supposed to have a 'spring' back into position, or just a manual push (mine has no spring-back)

Thanks
    Can't help with too many of these questions but best bet when looking at a job like a clutch is to look around the local pug workshops. Regans no doubt do good work but there may be better prices around and these other workshops have some great mechanics too. Try places like AutoParis, Justin Fisher, Alpine Affaire, Spencer St Automobiles, French connection, etc.

There's a bit of labour involved but it should be under a grand inc the parts.

Good Luck

Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

congrats on the car. i havent changed the speakers but changed the headunit. im not really that fussy on the sound, just wanted a cd player.
    when i bought my car a few years ago, the drv side power window thingo had to be replaced, i remember it wasnt cheap. luckily i wasnt paying for it.

how many km's has yours got?
    mine just ticked over 150

im not really sure what you mean by springback for the seat.

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Welcome to AF!

I've got some Blaupunkt splits up the front. I did have to cut into the little plastic bit on the A-pillar for the tweeters but the whole thing looks OEM. The crossover was mounted under the door trim, and lower speaker grill is untouched.

I've got that little judder with my windows as well. Not as smooth as my old 206 in that regard.

Yep and my seat doesn't springback. Maybe you can get the ball rolling on a 306 meet in december.
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Default 306 gti

Mines got 125000 ks, previosuly owned by a older lady insurance rep who clocked around 10,000 k's per service by got it serviced bang-on every 6-months at Regans. Kept it garaged so looks great! Have seen the window replacement kits for sale on e-bay UK but still sounds like it might be too hard for the home-jobber. The spring bit refers to the way some 3-door cars have the front seat that 'spring' back into position after use.

Cheers

Default Blaupunkts

Thanks - what size are your speakers ? And worth the money?

Might look at morning of Dec 12 in Newport Park perhaps (by the golf course) - lots of room & close to motorway. I wonder how many 306 gtis there actually are in Melbourne?

Mothers and Meguires are good polishes... would highly recommend them...

Are you very machanical? you might want to have a look at taking the door trim off and looking to see if the windows is catching or rubbing on the door opening rods and cables...

the Blaupunkt are very good i had a set in my old 205, you can get them in 5 and 6 inch.... and they will usually fit behind the factory grills. i got mine for about 150 (NZD) about 5 yrs ago....

Icon6 Blaupunts

Thanks - i saw you are from Auckland. Being a 'woolly jumper' i was looking at the NZ Herald classifieds the other day & saw a lot of cheap 306-gtis for around $12000 NZD ex-Japan, but they were badged S-16 even though they were six-speeders. What a bargain !

in japan the gti-6 was labeled as the s16.... don't know why..

they are normally about 14+ (nzd) you can pick up a few trashed ones for under that but they can have a few probs....

they have dropped a fair bit in the last nine months... i got my s16 (5 speeder) for 10...

In Regards to audio, obviously any DIN 1 unit will fit, the good thing is the better quality ones tend to maintain that dark grey/black colour scheme that fits in , not like cheaper units with fake silver, and blue LED's ect.

Speakers wise, you can fit 6" speakers in the door as long as the magnet is not too large in diametre as it will foul the window rails. Also mounting depth of no more than 54mm. Just make sure they are mounted really well.
    Unfortunately, the 306 was not designed with audio in mind.

Dont bother with expensive gear in the parcel shelf. The foam is too thin and hollow to provide a good base for any speaker to work with. Any 6" 2-way will be better than the OEM ones. Try JBL for cheap effective speakers that fit. If your serious, build a new shelf out of MDF.

Because of the terrible acoustics in a 306, $100 speakers tend to sound as good as $400 ones unles you spend lots of time customising things.

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

The problem with the front door speakers is the fact that they are so shallow. You need to find 6.5" speakers that fit right in. I found some JVC ones that do the job nicely and have them in the parcel shelf as well. If you have problems man, all I'd do is just buy them and go to JB Hi Fi to fit them for $50. I got them to fit my stereo 'cos I wasn't that comfortable in doing it. The speakers were easy except for the parcel shelf with all that plastic surrounding rubbish they used. I pulled all mine out; much easier.

My windows are super smooth, have had no problems. I would seriously warn against taking the interior trim off 'cos it is notoriously hard to get back on.

I don't understand what you mean by "springback". If you mean so people can get in the back seat, then no, there is no spring back. But if you want to adjust your seat then it should spring forward in that regard with the lever at the bottom on the outer side of the seat.

Servicing from the dealership is just highway robbery. My mechanic is well ace; had the car for 4 days, couldn't fix the problem and charged me nothing.

Good to have another gti6 in Melbourne!
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Icon7 corners

Great stuff, thanks - good info re speaker size

Icon7 Stone Free

Re the spring-back - you know how some 3-doors have a 'spring' in the actual seat-railings, so that the moment you click the top part of the seat back in place the seat automatically 'springs' back to its pre-set position.

I hear the 206 has this feature.

Yep re the doors, ill wait for an insurance repair & try to claim this one !!

H

Hi guys,

Thanks
    My Clutch cost $1800 with oil and everything checked cleaned greased and my thottle intakes cleaned etc. Car back to new. Also new clutch cable

Quote Originally Posted by dhaw
    My Clutch cost $1800 with oil and everything checked cleaned greased and my thottle intakes cleaned etc. Car back to new. Also new clutch cable
    $1800!!!! Oh My God! Surely not that much. Was that at a Pug dealer? I'm glad it's running well now though.

Strada,
    I had a look at your car I think. She had spent a fortune at Regans! Nice service record! Just what you want. She worked for Catholic Car Insurance!! Does that mean you have to be Catholic to get insurance with them! I joked with her that because I was Cathoilc then maybe I could get a discount on the car's price and insurance. No Response. I found a black Gti6 about 2 weeks ago. Awesome cars aren't they! Is your one China blue or black? Can't remember. Black looks awesome but oh my God does it show EVERY scratch/swirl/chip. Will get the car professionally detailed, they think that most of the superficial stuff can be buffed out.
    Hope we can organise a meeting between all of us in December

The window regulator on my S16 had to be replaced, and the part alone was about $360 from memory. I think window regulators are a problem in 306's in general.

I'm still looking for a GTi6 myself. Am having trouble finding one, cause I only want a 99/00 model, with lowish km's and immaculate. If anybody knows of one, please let me know. Have cash waiting.

cheers

Default irrossiter

Mate - did you get the black one from Warrandyte? That was a goodie as well !

Chef

Yeah saw that one, thanks. Nice car, trouble is I don't like white or black, hehe. There's a low km 99 model in Adelaide in China Blue, looks the goods, but no sunroof, and alas I want a roof too! (I'm not asking for much I know!).

I'm really limiting my options, but I'll just keep looking, and if it takes me 6 months to find the right car so be it.

It's annoying, cause a few months ago before I was looking I saw a couple of perfect 2000 models with low k's, and now that I'm ready to buy I can't find one! Murphy's Law I spose!

Tadpole

Hi guys,

....- Has anyone replaced their front speakers without altering the door cavity & keeping the standard Audiovox stereo. If so, what did you use & are they any good. (If anyone wants to swap the Audiovox for another type of head-unit, or the stock rear shelf for one with some decent 6x9's, let me know)....
    I replaced the Eurovox head unit with a Kenwood and got HUGE improvment in sound quality.
    Wouldn't change speakers unless you really want to blow your eardrums out.

Quote Originally Posted by frogslegs
    I replaced the Eurovox head unit with a Kenwood and got HUGE improvment in sound quality.
    Wouldn't change speakers unless you really want to blow your eardrums out.
    I'd disagree here ... i think you'd get more improvement in sound quality from changing just the speakers. Have you ever seen the factory speakers??? They're cheap paper things with tiny magnets.
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Default Adelaide 306

Pugrat - i read somewhere else on the forum that that Adelaide one had been in a big smash. Re the sunroof, i wouldnt bother, its reduces the structural integrety of the car & makes it heavier. Still, if i found one with a sunroof i probably would have got it...

GTI6 doesn't have "springback" like the 206 and 307.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

yea pugrat, my choice i like white or black possibly with sunroof too, but i can compromise by winding down the window glad our color choice didn't clash

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information