peugeot 307 up in smoke!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default peugeot 307 up in smoke!

Hi everyone. I have had a disturbing incident with my peugeot 307 yesterday which has left me a little concerned... returning from the beach the car was making squealing (power steering) then about 5kms into the journey I stopped at traffic lights and the warning lights came on and the car was filled with smoke. Within 10 secs the whole car was full of smoke and under the bonnet was spewing smoke. I have since found a couple of posts in yahoo that identify a recall of thousands of vehicles to replace the connection to the power steering pump after 30 cars went up in flames due to the problem... Has anyone heard of any other examples in Australia.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by nathinbris
    Hi everyone. I have had a disturbing incident with my peugeot 307 yesterday which has left me a little concerned... returning from the beach the car was making squealing (power steering) then about 5kms into the journey I stopped at traffic lights and the warning lights came on and the car was filled with smoke. Within 10 secs the whole car was full of smoke and under the bonnet was spewing smoke. I have since found a couple of posts in yahoo that identify a recall of thousands of vehicles to replace the connection to the power steering pump after 30 cars went up in flames due to the problem... Has anyone heard of any other examples in Australia.
    Agh. Must've have been all that salanity from the seaside, eating away at your wires.

Do you live nearby the sea?
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

There was someone with a 407(?) in Brisbane a while back who had the crap frightened out of her with a similar problem. It was more scarey in her instance as she had an infant son strapped in the car and it was in a confined car park.
    Dealer did eventually get it sorted but not until after she had to give him a bit of a kick up the ribs.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

should have bought a honda

The old powersteering fluid on the exhaust trick !

So were the aussie cars recalled for P/S problems ?

Tom

I noticed my 306 power-steering fluid leaking - took it to the PUG Service dudes - all they said to me was "you should think about replacing the clip that holds the rubber pipe to the container !!!!!!!"

Thanks guys ................ no comment about smoke or anything !!!!!
    Quick, to the Poojet

Buzz:

I've just started getting a bunch of those types of leaks... not fun...

The french shouldn't be allowed to sell cars.
    1990 series 1, 405 Mi16 <-- Sold
    1998 Nissan 180sx TypeX, 2lt, rwd Turbo.

It sounds like you had a power steering hose or the like let go, which sprayed nice hot power steering fluid on your exhaust (they are quite close to each other).

The recall you are referring to is something different all together, and was a corroding power steering pump electrical connector (which is in an entirely different position on australian cars, AFAIK) shorting and catching fire. The pump on these cars was mounted down low near the road, and again AFAIK, this is not the case with the Oz models.

This was "common" in northern european countries where they are silly enough to salt the roads due to a little bit of snow now and then.

Despite all the smoke (and the old adage, "where there is smoke, there is fire") it doesn't sound like it's the same thing at all. A nasty, smelly, frightening experience all the same!
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    The french shouldn't be allowed to sell cars.
    Why? Because the French cars have character unlike the ultra dull Japanese, German and Swedish cars?
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

nJm

This might sound stupid, but I thought the 307 had completely electric steering. If that is the case would it even have steering fluid?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    This might sound stupid, but I thought the 307 had completely electric steering. If that is the case would it even have steering fluid?
    No, that's a fair question

I think you will find (though I am no expert on the 307) that it uses an electrically-operated hydraulic pump, as opposed to an engine-driven (belt) hydraulic pump.

Therefore, the fluid and the pressure are all still there, it just uses another source to obtain its pressure.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi gents

I'm the gal with the 407 that went up in smoke in August.

Guess what happened on Saturday night?

...no ...you'll never guess!

My beautiful 407SV is faulty - fire, smoke...

Thread Information