Tyre size for 505GR Station-wagon
  • Register
  • Help

Default Tyre size for 505GR Station-wagon

I want to replace 14'' standard rims with 15' mag. rims on a 1990 505 GR s/w. What size do you recommend and comments on best brands!

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 wheels

Why go to mags on a vehicle that does not have "performance" characteristics?

I can understand the decision if you live on a dirt road like mine however!

I would suggest the standard 15" steelies from the series 2 wagon

1 They are available.

2 The offsets (I think) are a bit unique. There is bugger all clearance between the tyre and the front suspension upright when using 195x15x70 profile Michelins on the standard 15" rims.

Probably not the response that you're looking for, but I hope that it is practical!

Quote Originally Posted by David M
    Why go to mags on a vehicle that does not have "performance" characteristics?

How do you define "performance"

I clearly remember chasing a 2 door sports car through some very twisty lanes in North Yorkshire in 1992 and he couldn't get away from me. And yes I was driving my Series II 1986 Peugeot 505 GR Estate (station wagon - 1971cc pushrod engine). Now that is performance. It handles corners very well, brakes well, has great pulling power from low revs and with the second barrel open it can be driven pretty quickly. Oh, and in those days I had the standard steel wheels with Michelin 185/14 tyres.

I still have the car and it still performs well. And now I have genuine Peugeot alloy wheels with 195/70/14 tyres and it is an even better car to drive.
    Last edited by Roland; 4th October 2005 at 12:41 AM.

To reduce unsprung weight.

ed ge

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR
    I want to replace 14'' standard rims with 15' mag. rims on a 1990 505 GR s/w. What size do you recommend and comments on best brands!
    I think this would be a really nice upgrade and a 195/60/15 tire will work well with the 15 inch wheels. The car will ride a tad lower (9 mm) than stock and your speedometer will be an additional 3% off. A Michelin Exalto or Bridgestone Potenza would be good choices in my opinion.

Thanos

My two cents worth : having owned an '89 GR wagon, then buying a 1990 (effectively GTi suspension, but with V6 ) on alloys - the difference is phenomenal Get rid of those 80 profile tractor tyres Added bonus, the tyres are easier to find, I'm using 195/60/15. Unfortunately I succumbed to 'trying' the alloys on my 504 - equally impressive, I was hooked and forked out for another set! (Mind you, they do tend to be cheaper over here....)
    Cheers, Jason

Default 505 wheels

After all that, I have gone back to 14" wheels with 185/85/14 tyres. Reason, that I bought a 505 GTI and transferred the wheels to the S/Wagon. I took a tape measure and the difference in circumference was 30mm. As I am struggling on hills, am satisfied with the change. Peter

Thread Information