Farm find 203
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Farm find 203

Default Farm find 203

I have just returned from the Wimmera region of Victoria and visited a farm purchased by my sister and B-I-L. On the farm there is a virtually complete 203 but very rusty in floor but with engine, box etc. AND Oval window VW AND about a 46 Ford Ute but missing suspension and rear axle, but side valve and box still there AND remains of FX ute AND Ford Consul AND a 30s - 40 truck. I have a feeling there was something else too.
    All been sitting for years - the 203 was towed at some stage to the farm tip and is still standing on rubber but VERY weathered and not a restoration prospect I would think. The best was the Oval window which I am thinking about (but don't know why!)

Advertisement

Just thought I would share!!

1000+ Posts

There are still a few finds to be made but mostly the farms have been picked over. There are a couple of operarors who chase after old Peugeots. They give little or nothing for them but re-market them for big prices. Like a $10 clearing sale 203 resold for $1500! Usually the cars are really worn out but sometimes the mechanicals can be good plus the stainless steel trim, door locks etc. There used to be an SS hiding in a shed in the Wimmera. One day someone will open a shed and find an immaculate early 203 or better still a 202.

If there's a chance that the 203's next home is the tip/scrapyard, I could do with buying a few bits: boot handle, wipers, maybe door handles etc.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall
    There are still a few finds to be made but mostly the farms have been picked over. There are a couple of operarors who chase after old Peugeots. They give little or nothing for them but re-market them for big prices. Like a $10 clearing sale 203 resold for $1500! Usually the cars are really worn out but sometimes the mechanicals can be good plus the stainless steel trim, door locks etc. There used to be an SS hiding in a shed in the Wimmera. One day someone will open a shed and find an immaculate early 203 or better still a 202.
    Russell,
    Iím an ex Wimmera boy (Nhill) and I also have heard about the cars in the farm sheds. But I guess most regions have these stories. (new WLA Harleys in crates etc!) I have a feeling I did hear about a SS and also a Cord. There WAS a magnificent straight 8 Packard Coupe in Nhill driven by an old lady for years - donít know what happened to it after she died.
    I did have a couple of actual experiences though. I found a 500cc Vincent Comet in a shed near Lake Hindmarsh and grovelled, promised, cajoled etc but the framer wouldn't sell. He didn't want to sell because he had a bad experience with a guy (a pommie photographer) who cleaned the region out of bikes back in the early 70s who pestered the farmer to sell him a 1000 cc Vincent Rapide promising he would restore and display in a glass case. The farmer relented and the guy promptly took it to Adelaide and made a killing on it. Prick.
    I also found (and bought) a 1958 Aston Martin in a shed in Geelong so there are some real ones out there. I guess if you think about it, if someone came and bought one of the treasures out of your shed he would then have a story he could relay on how he found this rare something or other jigger in a shed in Casterton. (Known to be a rich grazing area!! Ė had to get that in!!) Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet
    If there's a chance that the 203's next home is the tip/scrapyard, I could do with buying a few bits: boot handle, wipers, maybe door handles etc.

Mike.
    Mike,
    Send me a list. I will be back over that way in a few months. I'm not sure what the B-I-L has in mind but my guess is they will all stay there and turn to dust - I'm hoping not though. I think from memory the tail light was still there complete with lenses but if you give me some specifics I'll see what I can do - can't promise anything though. I took a couple of crappy photos on my phone. David.

Fellow Frogger!

Many years ago some bloke was trying to sell a Comet around Wentworth Avenue in Sydney and no one was interested so he reputedly parked it in the gutter and walked away.My how times have changed.(thankfully)
    Regards Dennis

Hey 350manx, if you don't want the oval I'm VERY interested mate. I've sent you a pm, but you'll be able to guess by looking at my sig
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus
    Hey 350manx, if you don't want the oval I'm VERY interested mate. I've sent you a pm, but you'll be able to guess by looking at my sig
    Yep responded - freaking sig - wot the hell is it??

Sorry just referring to the fact that I've already been sucked in by two beetles!
    Series 1 205 Gti

Sorry just referring to the fact that I've already been sucked in by two beetles!
    OK but I still want to know what the hell that freaky thing is on the left. Mine a photo of me on the Manx - whats yours?

A character from the anime 'Akira' called Tetsuo. I'm a geek, I know
    Series 1 205 Gti

A character from the anime 'Akira' called Tetsuo. I'm a geek, I know
    Did those photos turn up?

Thread Information