Gti 180 Rocket cover oil loss
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Gti 180 Rocket cover oil loss

This afternoon I decided to pull off the plastic cover ontop of rocket cover. The last two plastic cork like hooks gave me hell trying to take them off.

Inspected the rocket cover sealing, after it was brought up in another thread, and i felt a little oil smuge towards the back right of the cover. Im not sure if they used a rocket cover gasket for the 180 all i could see was this red selastic type of goo between the rocket cover and the block.

Advertisement

Didnt realise the 206 uses a plastic rocket cover (cheapskates) until i pulled off plastic heat insulated cover.

Anyway I didnt fiddle around with the rocker cover.

Gonna book it in and get it looked at under warranty.
    Last edited by WRC180; 4th October 2005 at 12:03 AM.
    04' GTi 180

If by right rear you mean the passenger side (ie. near the brake booster) then I'm pretty sure there is a breather pipe there, and it obviously will produce some oil in its time.

Sealant has been used as gasket material for a long time. As for the plastic, isn't that a much lighter substance than metal? Also I would think it would be better method of isolating the electrical stuff there (ie. coil packs, etc.).
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Think, earthbound, contemporary, popular, musician...............

Chuck Berry was a
    Roy Orbison was a
    Buddy Holly was a

clue in second last sentence of original post

ed ge

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller

Chuck Berry was a
    Roy Orbison was a
    Buddy Holly was a

ed ge

Torque wrench??????

Dont **** with it.

Dealer decided for some reason to pull the rear heatshield (exhaust manifold one) during 20k service.Shook itself loose at 22k,repaired,shook itself loose at 24k,repaired again,currently at 25k ive got a suspicion its shaking itself loose again.

Your really not helping yourself,if there IS a problem,and they work out youve removed it yourself,they will just turn around and blame any problem you.

Unless your losing oil badly,the fact youve removed the rocker cover will work against you,not for you.They will blame any problem on your tinkering,(i.e. its stuffed because you removed the cover,you removed the cover to perform an aftermarket mod then removed the mod before you brought it here and thats why its stuffed,etc etc.).

The absolute WORSE thing you can do is tell the dealer youve pulled the heat shields/rocker cover off,your not a qualified mechanic.The red stuff is a conductive paste that transfers heat from the block to the shields,the simple fact you messed with it is all they need to void your warranty.

THINK about what your doing.NEVER tell a dealer youve removed or altered any parts on your engine.Act dumb,be vague,let them identify problems.They can and will blame you for anything they possibly can.
    Last edited by Mandible; 3rd October 2005 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible
    Dont **** with it.

Dealer decided for some reason to pull the rear heatshield (exhaust manifold one) during 20k service.Shook itself loose at 22k,repaired,shook itself loose at 24k,repaired again,currently at 25k ive got a suspicion its shaking itself loose again.

Your really not helping yourself,if there IS a problem,and they work out youve removed it yourself,they will just turn around and blame any problem you.

Unless your losing oil badly,the fact youve removed the rocker cover will work against you,not for you.They will blame any problem on your tinkering,(i.e. its stuffed because you removed the cover,you removed the cover to perform an aftermarket mod then removed the mod before you brought it here and thats why its stuffed,etc etc.).

The absolute WORSE thing you can do is tell the dealer youve pulled the heat shields/rocker cover off,your not a qualified mechanic.The red stuff is a conductive paste that transfers heat from the block to the shields,the simple fact you messed with it is all they need to void your warranty.

THINK about what your doing.NEVER tell a dealer youve removed or altered any parts on your engine.Act dumb,be vague,let them identify problems.They can and will blame you for anything they possibly can.
    I think you have misunderstood I never pulled off the rocket cover, there is a second plastic cover, ontop of the rocket cover that unclips via plastic hook type bolts.

How on earth is it interfering with integrity if its removed. If you happen to spill excess oil onto the block, how would you clean it? The plastic cover needs to be removed. Just like its your responsibility to maintain adequate oil coolant etc between services, how is that different.

Of course if you pulled off your rocket cover, that would have significant bearing on your warranty.

Sounds like your dealer is giving you alot of problems.
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    If by right rear you mean the passenger side (ie. near the brake booster) then I'm pretty sure there is a breather pipe there, and it obviously will produce some oil in its time.

Sealant has been used as gasket material for a long time. As for the plastic, isn't that a much lighter substance than metal? Also I would think it would be better method of isolating the electrical stuff there (ie. coil packs, etc.).
    Yes its on the passanger side, by running my fingers along right rear of the block there is a little smuge of oil.
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller

Chuck Berry was a
    Roy Orbison was a
    Buddy Holly was a

ed ge
    Ahh, but Frank Sinatra did ask of his audience to "fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars". He was hardly a "rocker" though.

Perhaps though a more appropriate name for the automotive component in question would be a "Cam Cover". Since the GTi180 has no rocker gear, merely a camshaft with a hydraulic tappet operating directly on the valve stem, the term "Rocker Cover" seems redundant.

In the dictionary, under redundant, it reads:
    "See redundant "

Signed, Elton John (Rocketman)

Quote Originally Posted by blackster
    Yes its on the passanger side, by running my fingers along right rear of the block there is a little smuge of oil.

Same issue, I had booked for inspection this friday, but now, only God knows when (waiting on smash repairers )

In Australia: 05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: 09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

I had the same issue. Was found by the dealer though, & fixed on the spot. Seems to be a bit of an issue with the 180.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Was found by the dealer though, & fixed on the spot.
    Say they didn't just silicon up the leak, did they?

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Icon13

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    I had the same issue. Was found by the dealer though, & fixed on the spot. Seems to be a bit of an issue with the 180.
    Same, had mine fixed at the 10K kms service. Guess what, the oil is back again!!! Did they really replace it........................

Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man
    Same, had mine fixed at the 10K kms service. Guess what, the oil is back again!!! Did they really replace it........................
    Stu,

What did they fix, and what did they replace?
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Stu,

What did they fix, and what did they replace?
    From memory, it was "Remove cam cover, replace gasket, replace cam cover, degrease" . I should have a good look at the bolt heads to see if there are any marks i.e. signs of removal.

Admittedly, it is only SEEPING oil from the far corner. I am wiping the back of the head with my hand and cannot feel oil there at all. It is not a huge issue but I can see a complete lack of quality here outta the factory..............

I got the service work done @ ALEC MILDREN in Artarmon.

Ta,

It was definitely a problem on my old 138, and this was the fix for it - which never reoccurred up to the time I sold it at 92k or so.

Obviously the head is a "little" different on the 180, but I haven't noticed it on the 180 yet.

Unfortunately there is lots of stuff there from memory - a breather pipe, cam angle sensor, etc. that can also leak if the seals go bad/pipe cracks.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi,

Look, I am sorry for being a pain in the bum here but I would really like to understand the point of discussion here. I find it hard as you are referring to many things that I have never heard of, (think 17yr old )

Would anyone mind explaining to me what this common problem is (in 17yr old I only know a little about cars words)

Thanks so much if you can, its great to learn!!

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    Hi,

Look, I am sorry for being a pain in the bum here but I would really like to understand the point of discussion here. I find it hard as you are referring to many things that I have never heard of, (think 17yr old )

Would anyone mind explaining to me what this common problem is (in 17yr old I only know a little about cars words)

Thanks so much if you can, its great to learn!!

Just sounds like oil is leaking out from between the rocker/cam cover (the bit that bolts onto the top of the head over the top of the camshafts) and the head.

Someone take a photo so rusty can understand.

Dave

Rocket cover gasket: it seals the rocket cover and top head. This section usually contains the overhead cam shaft, along with lifters/valves.

Breather pipe: from my understanding, it helps 'relief'/balance the oil pressure building at the top.

Cam angle sensor: used to detect the position of cams in respect to valves, in order to get the 'spark' happening in the combustion chamber at the right moment (ie, all inlet/outlet valves closed -> spark-> boom->etc)

Depending on engine (and I haven't been in around the 180 engine yet), sesnor's are the type of plug ins/screw in, and thus have seals that wear off with time, ie leading to leaks. The breather pipe (which I think has a valve in it) could dry out and wear off too.

As for the rcg, high differences in heat lead to anomalities in the metal, making it bend, and since the gasket is locked tight between the two surfaces, any deformations will lead to leaks. Also gaskets (over long periods) just wear off letting a leak (ever seen overheated engines, where gaskets have decomposed and glue stuck to either sides of the metal)

That's the limit to my knoweldge, building many assumptions

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

I am sorry guys. I realise I am still being a pain in the bum.

I am not getting you. Firstly all your talk, I mostly do not understand. Your references to heads, gaskets, valves... I don't fully understand it?? You need to explain it to me in 17yr old I don't know anything about engine mode.

Then I will understand.

If you don't have the time to do this then don't worry about it, I realise I am a pain in the ass

ok this is a single cam engine (8 Valve) but here we go.

From bottom to top - dirty bit - the block then head gasket then head. Now you see the numbered bits, in there is where the cam sits and ontop of that you put the cam cover on with a gasket between it and the head - note the cam cover and gasket are not present in the photo. So the problem is oil dripping out from that numbered area down the back of the head.
    I might find more pics to explain better later.

Dave

THANKS DAVE

I am starting to understand it abit better now

So what problems does this pose for the 180??

Ok and here is that same engine with its cam cover attached:

And here is a 16V cam cover (greenbloods I believe):

As for risks, a bit of smoke here and there if it burns on the exhaust and possible fire so probably best not to let them leak too much.

Dave

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    I am sorry guys. I realise I am still being a pain in the bum.

I am not getting you. Firstly all your talk, I mostly do not understand. Your references to heads, gaskets, valves... I don't fully understand it?? You need to explain it to me in 17yr old I don't know anything about engine mode.

Then I will understand.

If you don't have the time to do this then don't worry about it, I realise I am a pain in the ass
    Rusty,by the sounds of it, you neet to buy yourself a good book which explanes all the basic stuff.A good reference book is one called '21st century performance.' price $69.99 @ www.techbooks.com.au. If you want to save the bucks, get your local lib. to borrow it from mona vale lib, or just get them to buy it for you.
    Jo

Haha I pity the dial up users checking this thread now

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information