Peugeot Alloy Wheels
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Peugeot Alloy Wheels

Guys,

What's the go with Peugeot alloy wheels .... ??

I recently had a set of Michelin MXV8's 205/60R15 fitted to OEM 15" alloy wheels from a 406SV.

Balancing proved to be a challenge. On further inspection all the rims exhibited some slight out-of-roundness/wobble. First thought was that the balancing plate could be dodgy..... using the spanking new spare as a 'control' proved this theory to be incorrect. Second theory was that the MXV8's (manufactured in China) could be a little less than perfect. The pevious set Michelin Primacy tyres felt great right to the end.... Third theory was incorrect tension on the wheel bolts.. these were all torqued by hand... so...

The very helpful young chap in the tyre shop asked if the car had been dropped ... and wait for it... "when was the last time you had the vehicle airborne?" )

Has anyone experienced similar problems with alloy wheels?

Paul

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tiggercl
    Guys,

What's the go with Peugeot alloy wheels .... ??

I recently had a set of Michelin MXV8's 205/60R15 fitted to OEM 15" alloy wheels from a 406SV.

Balancing proved to be a challenge. On further inspection all the rims exhibited some slight out-of-roundness/wobble. First thought was that the balancing plate could be dodgy..... using the spanking new spare as a 'control' proved this theory to be incorrect. Second theory was that the MXV8's (manufactured in China) could be a little less than perfect. The pevious set Michelin Primacy tyres felt great right to the end.... Third theory was incorrect tension on the wheel bolts.. these were all torqued by hand... so...

The very helpful young chap in the tyre shop asked if the car had been dropped ... and wait for it... "when was the last time you had the vehicle airborne?" )

Has anyone experienced similar problems with alloy wheels?

Paul
    Paul,
    I had an interesting day with my late '92 405Mi16 today. While shopping for a Hard Disk Drive for my computer I noticed a screw embedded in the front right tyre.
    Dropped into a tyre place a few yards down the road. They did a great job in pulling the screw out and fixing a patch to the inside etc. As the wheel now needed balancing I was especially vigilant to see if it was straight - it was perfect. And as I had some time to spare I asked for the other three wheels to be balanced as well. All perfectly straight as well. So no problems until the rear right. He couldn't get the wheel of the locating hub. It had corroded onto the hub and was stuck - a bit of banging and forcing and it came off. While he was balancing the wheel he detailed me to clean the corrosion off with a wire brush. He then told me the story that with a Commode it was apparently possible to "not seat the wheel" properly, tighten one nut up fully, then tighten the rest and actually have the wheel out of line and wobbling. He went on to say that most cars get dirt between the wheels and the axles and most people don't clean this off. He considered it very important to make sure the wheel seats properly.
    So maybe the problem you experienced was partly related to dirt on the mating surfaces.
    Otherwise I have alloys on my 505 GTI, 505 Estate and the Mi16 and none are bent or are out of round as I always watch the balancing process to make sure thay get it right.

The puncture repair cost $20 and the balance (4 wheels) was also $20. Then the new brake pads I discovered I needed were $120!

all the best
    Roland

Default Alloy wheels

You have to be very careful when seating wheels that have a flat surface mating with the axle or hub flange. Theoretically, because the wheel is done up tight on the car, no dirt should get between flange and wheel. But it can when in the tyre fitting shop or in your shed. Old steel wheels generally don't have this problem as the mating surface doesn't have such a large surface area. Best to clean them, and then tighten diagonally (4 stud) or as near as possible to diagonally (5 stud). Had this problem on a Land Rover when I had to change a wheel in mud in the pouring rain. I got some crud under the rim when I tightened it and eventually the crud came out. The result was 5 out-of-round stud holes in the rim and 5 ruined studs. But I lived!
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

I had much trouble with getting mine done correctly a large well known tyre place very near a city based Peugeot dealer just could not get mine right, I can recommend two places that can do it properly ie they have the correct adapter, Continental Tyres, City RD South Melbourne and TruTrack North Melbourne.

The problem with these wheels of course is that they do not have a large centre hole, there are some universal adapters around which are simply not good enough.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Thread Information