Mystery Solex needs I.D. 'ing
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Mystery Solex needs I.D. 'ing

I have picked up a few brand new twin Solexes that the seller claimed were used on a Peugeot model but was not certain which. They are twin upright 35 mm, the butterflies open at the same time as they are connected via a tooth set-up, and the following is punched on the I.D. tag:

Solex

Advertisement

F 13294 000
    35 CEI
    REN 839

They will not fit the XN1 manifold as the carby base is about 10 mm wider than the plate, but an adaptor was easily fashioned. I am considering mounting two of them on a custom manifold made for an XN2 head. As my digicam has declared a strike, a photo cannot be posted. If someone knows what they are, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanos
    Last edited by Thanos; 1st October 2005 at 11:37 PM.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    I have picked up a few brand new twin Solexes that the seller claimed were used on a Peugeot model but was not certain which. They are 35 mm the butterflies open at the same time as they are connected via a tooth set-up and the following is punched on the I.D. tag:

Solex

F 13294 000
    35 CEI
    REN 839

As my digicam has declared a strike, a photo cannot be posted. If someone knows what they are, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanos
    Could be 604, are they downdraft?
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Could be 604, are they downdraft?
    Graham
    Yes they are Graham, I just edited my post. Oh no, 604 nightmare carbies!

Thanos

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

they sound like 604 carbs

they are vacuum operated ones

i may be interested in them if they are the right price

he didn't have any of the single throat ones that go with them did he ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    they sound like 604 carbs

they are vacuum operated ones

i may be interested in them if they are the right price

he didn't have any of the single throat ones that go with them did he ?
    Rambo

They do look vacuum operated to me, but I can't be sure. I will check about the single throat ones, but here is the problem: He did not even know the twins are (if indeed they are) from a 604, so how would he know about the single one? If you send me a photo I will check for you. As for the price, I think courier freight to Australia is too expensive, I just checked with DHL and it will cost around $125 to send ONE carby to Melburn, $205 for two. (I live in Athens, Greece). I will look into it anyway as I am looking for low cost freight companies, lots of great things in Australia for my 504's. Insured mail is also another possibility.

What do you think about using two of these Solexes on an XN2? Has anyone tried it?

Thanos

Fellow Frogger!

Default Going sideways?

Well, here is another question about these Solexes: They are meant to be mounted with both butterflies looking towards the front of the car. If two of these carbs are mounted on a four branch intake manifold of equal branch lenghts, they will have to be turned by 90 degrees and the arrangement of the butterflies will be front to back rather than side by side. Would this make a difference when inertia (for lack of a better word) comes into play? Should the tubing of the manifold be arranged so the butterflies end up side by side? Is it obvious that I have NO CLUE?

Thanos

Thread Information