problems 306xt
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: problems 306xt

Tadpole

Icon5 problems 306xt

hi guys,

i have been experiencing numerous problems with my pug 306 xt 1996 model..
    whilst driving around sometimes my pug looses power and i cannot seem to drive over 3000rpm, the car starts to chug along..so i quikly turn the ignition on and off and the problem seems to dissapear for about 20 mins or so,but for some reason it comes back again, so imy constantly starting and stopiing my car every 20 mins to try and avoid the problem.. i was told it might have been the ecu computer so i have purchased a new one today but the problems are still there..
    also late at night on cold starts theres a bad smell of fuel inside my cabin so i must drive with my windows down, basically i think my car is falling apart and was wondering if other pug owners have experienced these problems and how they were able to fix it..
    thnx guys!!!!

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jonpug
    hi guys,

i have been experiencing numerous problems with my pug 306 xt 1996 model..
    whilst driving around sometimes my pug looses power and i cannot seem to drive over 3000rpm, the car starts to chug along..so i quikly turn the ignition on and off and the problem seems to dissapear for about 20 mins or so,but for some reason it comes back again, so imy constantly starting and stopiing my car every 20 mins to try and avoid the problem.. i was told it might have been the ecu computer so i have purchased a new one today but the problems are still there..
    also late at night on cold starts theres a bad smell of fuel inside my cabin so i must drive with my windows down, basically i think my car is falling apart and was wondering if other pug owners have experienced these problems and how they were able to fix it..
    thnx guys!!!!
    Welcome, Jonpug

I am sure that the collective knowledge in this forum will help you get your car running the way it was meant to. Lots of 306 experts here (I am NOT one of them).

I would return the ECU as I have never heard of one failing, not in Greece anyway. This is the third time I hear that an early 306 has the power loss above 3000 rpm problem you described and I am told their MAP (MAF?) sensors are usually responsible for most of their ailments. I would find someone with the same car and swap all sensors one by one and look for improvements. I believe this is the most logical and cost effective way to pinpoint the problem. I trust you have already changed the fuel filter, leak checked the fuel line and checked the fuel pressure regulator.

Thanos
    Last edited by Thanos; 1st October 2005 at 08:21 PM.

Tadpole

thanos,

thanks for the tip....i will take my car into an autho electrician sumtime in the next coming weeks to try and solve my problems....and i will mention the MAP sensors..

thanks once again....
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Welcome, Jonpug

I am sure that the collective knowledge in this forum will help you get your car running the way it was meant to. Lots of 306 experts here (I am NOT one of them).

I would return the ECU as I have never heard of one failing, not in Greece anyway. This is the third time I hear that an early 306 has the power loss above 3000 rpm problem you described and I am told their MAP (MAF?) sensors are usually responsible for most of their ailments. I would find someone with the same car and swap all sensors one by one and look for improvements. I believe this is the most logical and cost effective way to pinpoint the problem. I trust you have already changed the fuel filter, leak checked the fuel line and checked the fuel pressure regulator.

Thanos

Jonpug, what you describe is a fairly serious problem. I'm sure if you were to explain it to a RTA inspector they would defect your car, with good reason.

All arguements about finances aside, you must take this more seriously than to get it looked at "in next coming weeks".

Your safety and the safety of others is involved here.

ed ge

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

The ECU could be in "limp home" mode. I know that when I first test drove my GTi6 it had about the same amount of power as my old Mazda 929 and the power would drop off after 3-4000rpm. The dealership rectified the problem in 5 minutes by fiddling with the ECU and letting it know that "everything was okay"!
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    The ECU could be in "limp home" mode. I know that when I first test drove my GTi6 it had about the same amount of power as my old Mazda 929 and the power would drop off after 3-4000rpm. The dealership rectified the problem in 5 minutes by fiddling with the ECU and letting it know that "everything was okay"!
    Would that still happen after he changed the ECU?

Thanos

Thread Information