405 hesitates when accelerating
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 hesitates when accelerating

Hello can anyone give some advice with my problem. I have noticed recently that my car doesn't accelerate smoothly ususally at speeds in excess of 120kph. it doesn't struggle or anything if i am travelling at a constant speed just when accelerating. it also hiccups when idling sometimes. Its aa 1994 405sr

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default .

I'm not really sure but since no-one has replied i'll try and offer some advice. It sounds like it could be to do with air intake. The computer should have detected any inlet leaks which would show up as a fault. Apparently you can test this by spraying water mist around the engine bay with the car idling. If the idle note changes then there's a leak somewhere. other than that its possible that your air flow meter may be on the way out. I'm not very familiar with the motor in your car but people talk about inlet diaphragms on some of the pug engines always breaking, this could be another lead you want to investigate.
    1984 505 STI

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by ssmikle
    Hello can anyone give some advice with my problem. I have noticed recently that my car doesn't accelerate smoothly ususally at speeds in excess of 120kph. it doesn't struggle or anything if i am travelling at a constant speed just when accelerating. it also hiccups when idling sometimes. Its aa 1994 405sr

Im not sure whether your vehicle is fuel injection or carburettor. But if it is a carburettor engine and it has a two in one carby, Id suspect a problem with the secondary barrel of your carby. Otherwise the breathing problems due to clogged air clearner or poor fuel issues would be worth checking would be my first guesses..

ok thanks. It is a carburetted engine and the air filter wa changed a few months ago. But wouldn't these problems show up if the car is being driven at a constant speed, why only when accelerating?. I will however check the filter and carb. will let you know

my mechanic checked the car over the weekend and said he didn't feel the hesitation. this was after he had done some adjustments with the carb.(cold start capsule not working) so i suspect it had to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmikle
    my mechanic checked the car over the weekend and said he didn't feel the hesitation. this was after he had done some adjustments with the carb.(cold start capsule not working) so i suspect it had to do with that.
    A fiddle with the hoses may have cured an intermittent problem with a poor seal on a vacuume hose or connection.

Failing all else chuck in a bottle of fuel system cleaner, (Red X or similar), and take the car out for some assertiveness training.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

HaHaaa certainly will

Thread Information