206GTI v GTI180 (seeking buying advice) - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Has your mini been modded? Those wheels look aftermarket

Advertisement

Looks like a great ride with a colour choice too

The wheels are aftermarket, but they're replicas of a two-piece OEM wheel. My cheap ass one piece wheels cost a bit over $2K with 205/45/17 conventional rubber, the heavier OEM two piece wheels with 205/45/17 runflats cost somewhere between $4.5K-5.5K, depending on how nice your dealer is.

I also have a CAI and Milltek cat-back exhaust to go with the Eibach springs. The beauty of forced induction is the ability to get 15-20kW at the wheels with a smaller pulley to drive the supercharger. That'll come in just under 12 months I think.

Zen

Hey Liam,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Really I was just saying that, even though the reviews say this and that, my experience is that the Cooper S and the 180 are very similiar so if your partner loves the Mini, she'll love the 180... and just think, you'll have two of the hotest hot hatches going around.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a good drive of a 206 GTi so I can't say anything about them except that the test drive I had when it first came out wasn't that much better than the S16. Not saying the 206 GTi is bad but I was looking for something a fair way better than the S16 at the time.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by qd180
    And here come the 206 owners

Miss you 306 Chris... when you took me for a few laps at wakefield that thing had me grinning ear to ear
    ... in a way I do. BUT then I go for a ride on the Duke and any car is like nafffghhhh, boring.
    I've only been to Wakefield once since our outing and punted a friends Integra DC5 type R. This is not stock and has a solid 138Kw ATW (that wheels spin in 2nd all the way, much like PeterT's 205). Having said that it handles well too and his R spec tyres (bridgies) and very little inside ment it was a 1:10 car but I could only manage 1:12's... guess I need to brush up a little aye? - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Seriously, I would imagine if he's replacing the wife's Outback, he's after a new car, and the GTi6 is sadly not in that category anymore.
    [/URL]
    Point taken Simon. Don't agree, but your POV is understood. Out of the several Outbacks and late model Subies i drove in my Valet Parking days non really stood out as being anybetter built than a 306. Infact id go as far to say that the last batch of Gti6's felt better, had less rattels (and not the subarus ridiculous easy to break into frameless windows) and were nicer in certain areas, spesh from a driver POV.... however the NEW car is a fact for our Mini driving friend. So like i said point taken. - Chris

ps, The 206 isn't bad but even PSA pitched it as a cheaper car than the 306.
    ... ptui!

Zen... Is that avatar, an actual badge??? If so it looks bloody awsome.

Rich

All is good, I knew what you meant, don't stress.

Cheers Liam

it would be heaven if you had both the 180 and the Cooper S

ohhhhhh that would be bags of fun, you and your wife could have lots of fun

Fellow Frogger!

how much you looking to spend/swap on the gti/180?

if it was a "real" 4wd I would swap ya. how does the outback go on sand?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Now THAT would be a neat solution ... a car swap, shame MrTaxman would still hit you up for stamp duty etc ... but you'd be paying some anyway so not all bad. Do it right (he pays you 15K and you pay him 15K - on paper only) they MAY let it go though (not ping you for the whole 25+K market value of the cars, so long as you're sensible and don't try and swap them for $1. Being in different states may also tip them off less.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by smokey

I've only taken it on sand once and it coped quite well. It goes alright in the mud too ... oops, yeah, it's a one lady owner, careful driver.

Minigolf,

Have a look at saturday's Canberra Times, if you haven't already. New gti (non 180) has been slashed from 30k to 25k retail. They quote almost 3k in addition for "govt. charges and delivery" but I reckon you could sweet talk them down.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, we actually went to Melrose yesterday as it happened. There weren't really any cars there to test drive, so we went to the Volkswagen dealer and now my wife wants a Mk5 GTI. So who knows what will happen now. We need to do some renos to our house as well, so our thinking caps are on.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas so far too.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by minigolf
    Thanks Jamie, we actually went to Melrose yesterday as it happened. There weren't really any cars there to test drive, so we went to the Volkswagen dealer and now my wife wants a Mk5 GTI. So who knows what will happen now.
    Liam,

If you would like to wait until May 2006 for a Golf GTi - they will be all yours......went to a VW dealer in the Mascot the other day, he was trying to get me in one as a clients finance had fell thru. I am NOT going to pay $53K for a hatchback...............It was black, leather, DSG, sunroof etc. Are VW becoming the new "BMW" in terms of costly options............

For me to walk away paying $36K with a car stacked so well with features, it makes me smile so much to own a GTi180!
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

So a couple of years ago I couldn't have interested you in an Audi S3 for $65K. The local Canberra VW dealer also has a "new" 2003 Mk4 R32 (67 of 200) for $55K. Not to mention the fully optioned and John Cooper Works prepped MCS cabrio that sold at Alto in Sydney recently for the tidy sum of $92K.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information