[206 GTi] Gauges just stopped working!?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 [206 GTi] Gauges just stopped working!?

Hey all,

I own a 2002 206 GTi and the other day i made a trip to the post office, parked my car, went into the PO, came back out, started my car, drove off ... and about 20 metres up the road i notice none of my gauges work!

All of the lights worked fine, and the car looked as if it was starting as per usual, except the gauges (petrol, tacho, speedo, temps etc) didnt move from the 0 position.

I parked on the side somewhere and started the car again a few times but nothing. I remember that a while ago i had a problem with all the lights and the radio just staying on and not responding at all, and when the guy came out to fix it it was just a case of disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it.

So, i did that and then things worked fine.

Its just a bit scary that things like this can happen. I love my pug but if things are going to happen, i may be forced to switch to something more reliable.

Also, as a side question to all you 206 owners. Is it worth the upgrade to the 180? I have been thinking about it for ages, but i dont know if the extra money will be worth the extra's in the 180. I really do want the 180, and will probably get one in the near future .. but id like to hear anything from any 180 owners who came from regular GTi's and their stories.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance guys!

Tadpole

It sounds as if you have a problem with the BSI in your car, maybe the fault log is full. You should take it to your dealer for the latest software download via internet. Sometimes the 'shunt' fuse comes loose causing no gauges to work, either way should get your respected dealer to look at it.

As for my opinion on the 180, not a bad little car. You can chuck it around quite well and it has a nice raspy sound to it, nice seats etc. However, no offence to anyone, but I think they should drop the standard GTI and call the 180 just a GTI. Then they could offer something better on top of that. I still have question mark over the extra 10k or so over a GTI for the 180. Once again, no offence just my opinion. I would like to see a higher spec 206 with turbo charged engine, 6 speed, all wheel drive. What ya reckon?

XTC

Yep a mux issue that usually solves itself (happened to me too). Get the dealer to reflash the ECU with the latest software.

As for the 180 .. it's the GTi they should have done from day 1 (I was 2 years too early for it), there is NO doubt it's quicker straight line, but a little rougher (17" and stiffer suspension) the engine is a cracker from 4500RPM upwards, where as the 138 feels more torque low down. RRP $29,990 GTi138 RRP $34,990 GTi180, $5K for better engine, nice seats, fake carbon, one less seatbelt, 17" rims, slightly upgraded suspension. Worth it? .... hard to say, when a Golf GTi starts at $39,990. But the 138/180 car is a great little drive and I don't think anyone who upgraded form 138 to 180 has regreted a single cent.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    Yep a mux issue that usually solves itself (happened to me too). Get the dealer to reflash the ECU with the latest software.

As for the 180 .. it's the GTi they should have done from day 1 (I was 2 years too early for it), there is NO doubt it's quicker straight line, but a little rougher (17" and stiffer suspension) the engine is a cracker from 4500RPM upwards, where as the 138 feels more torque low down. RRP $29,990 GTi138 RRP $34,990 GTi180, $5K for better engine, nice seats, fake carbon, one less seatbelt, 17" rims, slightly upgraded suspension. Worth it? .... hard to say, when a Golf GTi starts at $39,990. But the 138/180 car is a great little drive and I don't think anyone who upgraded form 138 to 180 has regreted a single cent.

- xTc -
    Agree with XTC - I had the gagues die on mine several times - Had the BSI updated and it's been good as gold ever since.

Personally I wouldnt upgrade to a new 180 as I dont want to get stung by the depreciation on my car However a 2nd hand Mk V GTI golf may be on the cards (in a year or two when the mortgage isnt out of control!)
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by kangfu
    Also, as a side question to all you 206 owners. Is it worth the upgrade to the 180? I have been thinking about it for ages, but i dont know if the extra money will be worth the extra's in the 180. I really do want the 180, and will probably get one in the near future .. but id like to hear anything from any 180 owners who came from regular GTi's and their stories.
    I upgraded to a 180 after 4 years with a 138, and I'm more than happy with it. In a few ways it's a similar car, but in a lot of ways it's quite different (depending on what model 138 you had of course - mine was a '00 model).

The 180 has a much more "aggressive" feel to it in my opinion, from the induction/exhaust to its firmer steering and suspension feel.

The 138 is a little easier to drive in a "lazy" fashion as its engine seems a little torquier down low, but the 180 really shines when you give it some herbs (whereas the 138 just makes more noise).

I quite like both cars, and I would be quite happy to "downgrade" to a regular GTi if my circumstances warranted it. At $29,990 I think it's a bit of a bargain, but that seems to be a controversial opinion on this forum
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks for the replies.

My next service isnt too far away so i'll ask them to do that when i go in for the service. I am just glad it isnt anything too serious.

As for upgrading to the 180. Well, its actually not so much a case of if i think its worth it .. its more about going to all the trouble to upgrade to the 180 when the 138 is a superb car as it is. Id have to first sell my car, then look for a good example of a 2nd hand 180 (if i bought new it would be a little out of my price range unfortunately), or juggle selling/buying at the same time. It'd be a bit of a hassle.

If i want the car though, guess i gotta go through all that!

Fellow Frogger!

This exact thing happened to me just this morning, got a 2002 as well.

First thing I check when i turn on my car are my idle revs. I noticed everything was at 0. I parked the car on the side, turned it on and nothing. So i drove to work with it not working. Going to give the battery trick a go now, hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by kangfu View Post
    Hey all,

I own a 2002 206 GTi and the other day i made a trip to the post office, parked my car, went into the PO, came back out, started my car, drove off ... and about 20 metres up the road i notice none of my gauges work!

All of the lights worked fine, and the car looked as if it was starting as per usual, except the gauges (petrol, tacho, speedo, temps etc) didnt move from the 0 position.

I parked on the side somewhere and started the car again a few times but nothing. I remember that a while ago i had a problem with all the lights and the radio just staying on and not responding at all, and when the guy came out to fix it it was just a case of disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it.

So, i did that and then things worked fine.

Its just a bit scary that things like this can happen. I love my pug but if things are going to happen, i may be forced to switch to something more reliable.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sounds like you need a 205gti

Dazz

Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post
    This exact thing happened to me just this morning, got a 2002 as well.

First thing I check when i turn on my car are my idle revs. I noticed everything was at 0. I parked the car on the side, turned it on and nothing. So i drove to work with it not working. Going to give the battery trick a go now, hope it works.
    Did it?
    405 Mi16 series one SILVER
    406 D8 V6 manual

Thread Information