limp wiper on a 405!
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default limp wiper on a 405!

Hi all
    picked up my 405 from having the oil changed this evening, and as I'm wont to do occasionally when I get flustered or excited and turn on the wipers instead of the indicator. The left hand blad became stuck in the middle of the screen and jammed the RHS one. Got out and rotated the passenger side one back to to the bottom, but now it doesn't work at all. RHS still works. There is some movement when the wipers are activated, but when you move the blade physically, there is no resistance, just a clicking noise.
    is this something i can repair myself or has one of the motors gone?

Advertisement

Chris Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sp
    Hi all
    picked up my 405 from having the oil changed this evening, and as I'm wont to do occasionally when I get flustered or excited and turn on the wipers instead of the indicator. The left hand blad became stuck in the middle of the screen and jammed the RHS one. Got out and rotated the passenger side one back to to the bottom, but now it doesn't work at all. RHS still works. There is some movement when the wipers are activated, but when you move the blade physically, there is no resistance, just a clicking noise.
    is this something i can repair myself or has one of the motors gone?

Chris Sp

Flip the little cover at the drive end of the wiper arm up. There is a nut there which holds the wiper arm on a spline on the drive shaft. Either this nut is loose or the spline which locks the arm to the shaft is stuffed.
    The clicking noise is the spline sliping a tooth at a time and wearing the spline out.
    Undo the nut, remove the arm, clean the spline and inside the arm and then replace the arm in the correct position and tighten the nut. If the spline doesn't look to good I would put some lock tite on it.
    If it still slips then the shaft and arm are stuffed - ie no spline to lock the arm to the drive shaft, so a trip to the wreckers is in order.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by Roland; 25th August 2005 at 02:12 AM.

I can get you the spline if that is what you need, check that the wiper arm is not stripped out as well as it has a toothed (for want of a better description) hole that grips the spline.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information