Hi, 404 heater help!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Hi, 404 heater help!

Hi all, new to this community and must say (after 3 x 404s) I am really happy that the web enables us to get together (or rather I pick your brains!).

I have a late 60's Heildelberg built 404 that I have been slowly rebuilding over the past ten years.

A leak has developed from the heater "valve" - the top heater pipe (from the block) is attached to this, and the valve is actuated by the cable from the heater lever.

Anyway, it's started to leak, and as a result I can't really drive the car.

Advertisement

Questions:

1. Can I replace this valve, or do I need to find a whole heater unit?

2. Where might I find either of the above (I live in Sydney)?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Josh

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bike_13
    Hi all, new to this community and must say (after 3 x 404s) I am really happy that the web enables us to get together (or rather I pick your brains!).

I have a late 60's Heildelberg built 404 that I have been slowly rebuilding over the past ten years.

A leak has developed from the heater "valve" - the top heater pipe (from the block) is attached to this, and the valve is actuated by the cable from the heater lever.

Anyway, it's started to leak, and as a result I can't really drive the car.

Questions:

1. Can I replace this valve, or do I need to find a whole heater unit?

2. Where might I find either of the above (I live in Sydney)?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Josh
    The valve is an individual part which can be sourced separately......even seen some on ebay recently.
    I'd be checking out where the problem really lies....is a leak in the heater core, the valve, the seal between these two or even the rubber hose.

Good luck

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Further advice relayed from a prolific frogger....who is in communicado at the moment

you can bypass the heater by connecting the outlet from the back of the cylinder head to the hose that runs along the rhs of the engine bay.
    In this way your 404 will be driveable.

Cheers

Perfectly advised bahay

aver

n must be next to c

or said sage be hear

and say

and

you see.

e
    d

g
    e

Bike_13,

please write more often of your mad peugeot moments, successes and failures, joys or travails.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs.

Cheers ed ge

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by bahay
    The valve is an individual part which can be sourced separately......even seen some on ebay recently.
    I'd be checking out where the problem really lies....is a leak in the heater core, the valve, the seal between these two or even the rubber hose.

Good luck
    Great news - I am pretty sure it's the valve (though it's hard to get up under there to see - but the drip slows considerably when I close the valve, so I think it's the valve.

I will check again.

Where can I get one of these valves from (just got this Pug back on the road after 9 years, and haven't really need parts lately)?

Thanks again for all you help!

Josh

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bike_13
    Great news - I am pretty sure it's the valve (though it's hard to get up under there to see - but the drip slows considerably when I close the valve, so I think it's the valve.

I will check again.

Where can I get one of these valves from (just got this Pug back on the road after 9 years, and haven't really need parts lately)?

Thanks again for all you help!

Josh
    There are plenty of sources for 404 parts.. Pug wreckers, or Garry from SA who's Aussie frogs post indicate that he's wrecking many Pug models 404, 504,604, you can also check with your local Peugeot car club...they can point you in the right direction.
    If you short cut the heater hoses, you can remove the valve and have a good look at / make sure that it is the offending part.

Good luck!

Thread Information