504 Light Problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 504 Light Problem

A pleasant drive through alpine Victoria at dusk turned into something less than enjoyable when I tried to turn on my lights, and I was forced to drive 15km in the near blackness.

The problem:
    Main lights and Highbeam just not working.
    I turn on the parking or side lights - they work fine - dashboard lights work as well. I then turn on the main lights, side lights and dashboard lights go off and the main lights dont function, same with the high beam.

Advertisement

The fuses seem fine and the wiring points that clip into the lights are okay. I am thinking it maybe the switch, its one of the ones that works in a U shape. Pull towards you and the park lights come on, push down for the main and the back towards the dash for high beam.

Does anybody know if this is this a likely cause ? Is there anyway that I can check this ?

Thanks in advance

Nick Hutcheson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

check to see if you have power going in and out of the relay

it is situated near the front of the engine bay on the drivers side

if original it will be a big black box
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Thanks for that.

Do I need a multi meter to do this or is there a quickway to do this?

Nick

Default 504 light problem.

On the later 504's the headlight relay is the small orange one mounted near the battery.
    I experimented with mine by fitting a common Bosch relay in its place. Everything OK. The Bosch relay then became another addition to my on board spares.

Default Headlight relay

Sometimes they're silver, not orange. And sometimes they can be made to work in an emergency (no spare) by whackin' em !!

Tadpole

If the park lights (ones under the main lights) are working is it likely to be the relay?

Do they run off the same circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch
    If the park lights (ones under the main lights) are working is it likely to be the relay?

Do they run off the same circuit?

main beams and high beams on 504's run on relays, parking lights don't
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Okay, thanks for that. One more thing.
    Why would the park lights turn of when the main lights are turned on?

Nick

Tadpole

sugest that you check all earth points on the car especially the two big philips head screws in the engine compartment at the rear of the lights also the gearbox to chassis one.Clean [shiny] contacts at lamps and relays conld help.Faulty earths on older cars can give all the symptoms that you describe .
    Hope this helps cheers Graham.

Regards the parking lights comming on when the head lights are on it appears that in the USA the design standard (like Australia) do not require the (front) parking light to illuminate when head lights are on the Euros do similarly when you drive many Jap cars and the great Aussie monsters and turn the headlights on if they were last left on hi beam they will be on Hi beam again - the euro design rule does not permit that.

You can use a test light instaed of a multimeter - just solder two wires on a parking globe and use them instead... but reasonable multimetes are so inexpensive these days they are really an essential item BUT buy one that reas a decent current say 10 Amps often doing a voltage check is inadequate as poor earth pionts sometimes only show up under load

Hope it malks sense
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy
    Regards the parking lights comming on when the head lights are on it appears that in the USA the design standard (like Australia) do not require the (front) parking light to illuminate when head lights are on the Euros do similarly when you drive many Jap cars and the great Aussie monsters and turn the headlights on if they were last left on hi beam they will be on Hi beam again - the euro design rule does not permit that.Hope it malks sense
    Not really. In Australia, parkers are always on when the headlights are on, and I would have thought the position of the dip switch (or lever) would determine high or low beam if a separate light switch is used. I'm really not sure what you're saying - sorry.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Quote Originally Posted by boodek
    Not really. In Australia, parkers are always on when the headlights are on, and I would have thought the position of the dip switch (or lever) would determine high or low beam if a separate light switch is used. I'm really not sure what you're saying - sorry.

i can understand it

in later model pugs it becomes a lot clearer as you turn the switch to have low beam and then pull it back for high beam and back again back to low beam, if you happen to have the switch in the high beam pos in the car when you turn it off it then reverts back to low beam when you next turn the lights on

this is sort of the same principle with 504/505/604 in that you need to go through the U shape to get to high beam again when you next turn the lights on

this is something the japs have never seemed to grasp and as such i have lost count over the years on how many jap cars running around would put their lights on when it got dark and hit high beam straight up as that was the last position the switch was in
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information