seats??
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: seats??

al

Default seats??

The front seats in my 205 are pretty average, so i am considering replacing them. Has anyone got any experiences with how impractical aftermarket buckets are for day to day use? As i have ripped the back seats out now due to them being a bit frayed the buckets would definately look the part...

The other thing i was thinking was just getting some seats from something a bit newer. I'm not the biggest fan of the shape of the standard seats, (i don't know why but i get a sore back) so how hard would it be to make something from a newer pug fit? (I had a sit in a s16 the other day - that was pretty comfy)

Advertisement
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by al
    The front seats in my 205 are pretty average, so i am considering replacing them. Has anyone got any experiences with how impractical aftermarket buckets are for day to day use? As i have ripped the back seats out now due to them being a bit frayed the buckets would definately look the part...

The other thing i was thinking was just getting some seats from something a bit newer. I'm not the biggest fan of the shape of the standard seats, (i don't know why but i get a sore back) so how hard would it be to make something from a newer pug fit? (I had a sit in a s16 the other day - that was pretty comfy)
    I've used Velo race seats day-day for years no probs...
    205gti

If you do get aftermarket seats (buckets) make sure you get recliners. I've got a Momo Corse bucket in my 505 and it is very supportive, it's also rock hard and has no adjustment other than forward and back.
    Have you considered Mi16 seats? They'd be getting pretty cheap and should be a bolt in job. Easy to find in leather if you're after a bit of show value too.
    If you do get buckets can you keep us posted on prices, installation etc? I'm looking into doing the same thing fairly soon.
    Chris.

al

I'll let you know if i get the buckets. The Mi16 seats would be better than the current 205 ones, but again i'm not crazy about the shape of them... (Perhaps this could be attributed to me being abnormally tall?)

I might look into some 306 seats this week. I will probably have to get some welding done anyway, so i could easily get some brackets made. Even some other makes have good seats...my mums Mx5 was pretty comfy/sporty...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 505 to the max
    If you do get aftermarket seats (buckets) make sure you get recliners. I've got a Momo Corse bucket in my 505 and it is very supportive, it's also rock hard and has no adjustment other than forward and back.
    Have you considered Mi16 seats? They'd be getting pretty cheap and should be a bolt in job. Easy to find in leather if you're after a bit of show value too.
    If you do get buckets can you keep us posted on prices, installation etc? I'm looking into doing the same thing fairly soon.
    Chris.
    Don't fit reclining seats if you want to fit a roll cage. CAMS regs stipulate that if you fit replacment seats in a roll cage equipped car then they must be fixed back.
    Graham

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The best 'modern car' seats I've sat in for a long time are the seats in my cousins Renault Laguna ... Real french seats like Citroens and Poogoes *used* to have .... Supportive, yet really soft (not like the hard slippery leather things fitted to my Xantia).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Don't fit reclining seats if you want to fit a roll cage. CAMS regs stipulate that if you fit replacment seats in a roll cage equipped car then they must be fixed back.
    Graham
    I'd say in fact if you're doing any motorsport get the fixed back seats.
    205gti

i second that call for fixed back race bucket. A descent Sparco in fribreglass weights less than 6kgs, start at about $500 each plus fitting new or $200 secondhand, so removing the rear seats all together and race buckets in the front will see a weight drop of about 40-50Kg in a 205, and we all know that an improvement in power to weigh does wonders for performance. - Chris
    ... ptui!

al

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    i second that call for fixed back race bucket. A descent Sparco in fribreglass weights less than 6kgs, start at about $500 each plus fitting new or $200 secondhand, so removing the rear seats all together and race buckets in the front will see a weight drop of about 40-50Kg in a 205, and we all know that an improvement in power to weigh does wonders for performance. - Chris
    mmm... tempting. I've already pulled the back seats out so i may as well keep going...

As i doubt the car will see any serious motorsport it may not be worth spending $500 on brand new ones, but if i could get them secondhand it would be reasonable... (considering what i paid for the car)
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Makes up for some of the roll cage weight!
    Graham

Makes up for some of the roll cage weight!
    Graham
    A good genuine alloy cage dosn't weight that much,
    Take my old S16 for example.
    The 2 front seats were 20Kg each
    The rear seats in total was just under 40kg.
    The carpet and underlay/sound mats were nearly 40Kg...
    Thats 120Kg!...

My Sparco (i had only 1 seat in the car for about 8 months), was 8Kg wiht mounts.
    My Bond-Roll Bars cage is 12Kg in total, bolts brakets everything etc....
    So i took out about 120Kg and put in 20Kg.... thats still works in favour and was CAMS aprooved. - Chris
    ... ptui!

mmm... tempting. I've already pulled the back seats out so i may as well keep going...

As i doubt the car will see any serious motorsport it may not be worth spending $500 on brand new ones, but if i could get them secondhand it would be reasonable... (considering what i paid for the car)
    The performance gain is quite startling though, a lighter car; not also does the car go harder, it brakes better, corners better, shifts weight better, has less body roll, changes direction quicker, is more responsive to steering input and removal etc... - Chris
    ... ptui!

VIP Sponsor

A good genuine alloy cage dosn't weight that much,
    Take my old S16 for example.
    The 2 front seats were 20Kg each
    The rear seats in total was just under 40kg.
    The carpet and underlay/sound mats were nearly 40Kg...
    Thats 120Kg!...

My Sparco (i had only 1 seat in the car for about 8 months), was 8Kg wiht mounts.
    My Bond-Roll Bars cage is 12Kg in total, bolts brakets everything etc....
    So i took out about 120Kg and put in 20Kg.... thats still works in favour and was CAMS aprooved. - Chris
    Trouble is that since the year 2000 or so alloy cages are no longer CAMS legal.
    If you have a car which was CAMS logbooked before this date you will be OK but after this date you will need a full steel cage with the latest spec (read heavy) tube.
    If you just want to do circuit sprints or any other events where cages aren't compulsary then the alloy cage will be acceptable but for rallying and racing the steel cage will be needed.
    Worse news is that shortly a much more onerous set of regulations is likely to be adopted making the car unsafe (in my opinion) to drive on the road, particularly in something like a 205 where the myriad bars will be rather close to the occupants.
    I am keeping a very close eye on what is happening as I have to make decisions on whether to cage my 205 GTi, 203 and possibly a 404 before the changes.
    Graham

If you have a car which was CAMS logbooked before this date you will be OK but after this date you will need a full steel cage with the latest spec (read heavy) tube.
    If you just want to do circuit sprints or any other events where cages aren't compulsary then the alloy cage will be acceptable but for rallying and racing the steel cage will be needed.

Graham
    Oh ok thanks mate, my car passed 2002/03 with no probs, but that because I only ever did S2 events so.. i gues that came down to your theory. Either way a steel 4 point cage would weigh at more than 50Kg.... or would it? - Chris

pa, figures why i left tin tops for open wheelers!...
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!

Worse news is that shortly a much more onerous set of regulations is likely to be adopted making the car unsafe (in my opinion) to drive on the road, particularly in something like a 205 where the myriad bars will be rather close to the occupants.
    I am keeping a very close eye on what is happening as I have to make decisions on whether to cage my 205 GTi, 203 and possibly a 404 before the changes.
    Graham
    How much would an FIA approved steel cage weigh in a 4-door 504 or 505? Our builder here said about 40 kilos, but this seems kind of light to me. I have heard weights of 65+ kilos for the Mitsubishi EVO and that sounds pretty heavy.

Tadpole

Al,
    I have a full seat of seats for a 306 here which you could have for very little. Drop me a line if you want them.

The SI seats are much nicer and bolt straight in! I bought front/rear seats and door cards for $300.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    How much would an FIA approved steel cage weigh in a 4-door 504 or 505? Our builder here said about 40 kilos, but this seems kind of light to me. I have heard weights of 65+ kilos for the Mitsubishi EVO and that sounds pretty heavy.
    I think the one in my EVO was about 45kg in Chrome-moly steel, but it's pretty full-on.
    205gti

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    The SI seats are much nicer and bolt straight in! I bought front/rear seats and door cards for $300.
    I'd agree with this, my Si has a much better driving position than (the half leather seats in) the GTi.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

I have been looking into seats for my 205, one to get a seat that sits lower as I have to slouch with a helmet on, the other for more support, have been looking at the Autotecnica range, all ADR approved and start from about $270, which is really good value for a recliner, also OBX but you have to buy them as pairs, and Cobra, Sparco, Velo buckets which are around the $500 mark, I rang TransportSA regarding a fixed back seat in a two door car and their reply was "as long as it's ADR approved it's ok". I have been told that I had to get an engineers report to fit a fixed back seat but obviously not. There is a 205 that was out at a driver training i did, he had two fixed back Sparco's on the orginal seat mounts so the seats flipped forward, did not get a chance to sit in them, but a bucket might give me bit of clearance between the top of my helmet and the roof, let us know how you get on and what you decide.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

pssst al, ive got a spare set (front and back) leather seats from a 205gti.

if youre interested let me know .

no dboubt i'll quote you a ridiculously rip off price.

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

al

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    pssst al, ive got a spare set (front and back) leather seats from a 205gti.

if youre interested let me know .

no dboubt i'll quote you a ridiculously rip off price.

Thanks, but don't particularly want leather or rears... I think i'm going two seater to avoid playing taxi driver.
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

This is probably a 'broken record' style question, but do aftermarket seats on suitable (non OEM) rails/brackets have to be engineered?

Quote Originally Posted by 505 to the max
    This is probably a 'broken record' style question, but do aftermarket seats on suitable (non OEM) rails/brackets have to be engineered?

you usually have to make a bracket for the new seat to fit existing frame so you still have the tilt and slide mechanism-BAZZ

I'm not the biggest fan of the shape of the standard seats, (i don't know why but i get a sore back)
    I agree. There is no lumbar support and so my middle back just sinks too far back into the backrest. I put in a lumber support behind the backrest cussion that I made from 20mm(?) dense foam with edges tapered. You can easily experiment because there is nothing to dismantle - the sides of the backrest cussion are free, so you can just shove the lumbar support into place.

I have since swapped left and right seats and have less of a problem with it as it is less saggy in the backrest and the seat squab but I will still put a thinner lumbar support in.

I lowered my seats (28mm at the bum) by removing the tilt mechanism. My procedure (with photos) is in an older thread.

I wouldn't mind "race" seats on top of the tilt mechanisms at some stage so I am watching this topic with interest.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information