Breaking 505 Steering Lock
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 Breaking 505 Steering Lock

My brother (Boodek) and I have just bought a 505 GTi that was an impounded vehicle from Wodonga Council. The problem is that it comes with no keys and to tow it home we will need the steering to be functional. Has anyone had any luck removing the steering lock without damaging the mechanism? If so, how?

It's going to be a parts car due to rust (and colour) but we want to cause as little damage as possible. Any ideas on hot wiring the car after the lock has been disabled would be appreciated. This would save me from trying to decipher the (bloody) diagrams in the Haynes manual!

Matt.

Advertisement
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

no idea on how to break the lock but to hot wire it is easy

run a wire from the coil to the battery and jump the starter
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I think you'll have to look at something like taking another steering column and fitting it to the car... lay the old one to one side with the electricals still attached, fit the replacement in so you can steer it. Use the ignition lock and switch on the replacement, of course, just plug it in instead of the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    My brother (Boodek) and I have just bought a 505 GTi that was an impounded vehicle from Wodonga Council. The problem is that it comes with no keys and to tow it home we will need the steering to be functional. Has anyone had any luck removing the steering lock without damaging the mechanism? If so, how?

It's going to be a parts car due to rust (and colour) but we want to cause as little damage as possible. Any ideas on hot wiring the car after the lock has been disabled would be appreciated. This would save me from trying to decipher the (bloody) diagrams in the Haynes manual!

Matt.
    The easiest way would be to change the whole steering column with with one that has a key or one with the lock removed. Its not that big a job probably take about 20 mins. The lock in the column can only removed with the key and the pin on the steering column is big and you wont force it. If you can't get hold of a steering column you could try to smash it by driving a pin punch / small cold chisel in where the key goes. BUT if you are not a professional car thief (and if you were you wouldn't have asked the question) you may well just stuff it.

BTW with the steering column out of the car a locksmith may be able to remove it for you with less or no damage.

Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    My brother (Boodek) and I have just bought a 505 GTi
    Show me your money, Matt!! Anyway, my 84 GTi has serious rust around the back window so will used be a parts car (complete with 5 15" alloys), we are going to pick it up tomorrow arvo. It might be towed around to Ralph's place to pull to bits so I need to break the steering lock to turn the six corners necessary. The last Peugeot lock I broke gave up without a whimper after I hammered a bloody great screwdriver into it, I imagine this one will do the same. Is there another method with more finesse?
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

As both jarrods and I have posted already, unbolt this steering column and fit another... easy!

Frankly, I think it would be nothing short of dangerous to try and break the lock and then drive the car like that. You only need to have a broken piece get jammed in there among the turning bits (have you seen how solidly the lumps that make up the lock are welded to the inner column?) and you'll be speering one of those precious 15" wheels into a gutter... or the car into another one.

There is another way of doing it if you have access to 240v power(generator), and an angle grinder. Just cut a slot across the tube the lock is in on top of the pin and grind the pin off.
    There are only 4 wires going to the switch, power, ign, starter and accessories so its not hard to bridge them out and get it going.

Regards, LynCliff

Icon7

Thanks all for your help. I have just removed the steering column from my spare parts 505SR and it took me less than 10 minutes. As I have keys for this I will swap it for the GTi's one so we can get it home.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Just take a trip down to the local highschool and ask for advice there, no doubt there will be a few local experts at your disposal
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information