307 vs 407 Touring
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307 vs 407 Touring

A couple of queries:
    1) The 307 Touring is listed as having 520L of boot volume vs only 420L in the 407 Touring. Is this correct? Is the 407 boot noticably smaller?

2) Any rumours about a 307 touring automatic in the near future? Preferably matched with the 2.0L HDi. Assuming $2200 for the auto, $36190 for the 307 touring 2.0HDi auto is a lot cheaper than >$50k for the 407. Hope they add leather as an option for the 307 touring too, though $3k is a fair bit for some dead cow, but still well over $10k cheaper than the "bigger" car.

Advertisement

3) I have a fairly steep driveway... would I be asking for trouble trying to get the 407's nose up the hill every day? It doesn't have the height adjustable suspension like the C5 does it?

To be honest the C5 estate 2.2HDi is leading the list at the moment... but I'm open to a Pug enter the running... but they don't seem to match my requirements at the moment.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by ThePope
    A couple of queries:
    1) The 307 Touring is listed as having 520L of boot volume vs only 420L in the 407 Touring. Is this correct? Is the 407 boot noticably smaller?
    Absolutely, the 307 is much larger.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

I'm not aware of any plans to attach the auto to the 307 Touring. Peugeot have not had automatic deisels in Australia for a while either, so I'd not necessarily assume it would be the HDi that got it.

Yep that's right. The 307 Touring can swallow an enormous amount of gear, whereas the 407 can't match it.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

3) I have a fairly steep driveway... would I be asking for trouble trying to get the 407's nose up the hill every day? It doesn't have the height adjustable suspension like the C5 does it?
    Take an extended test drive and trial it ... you can usually get 1+ hour drive from most dealers.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Peugeot have not had automatic deisels in Australia for a while either
    But the 407 2.0HDi ONLY comes in auto... that's what I don't understand!

XTC, as I'm in Perth, how are Allpikes when it comes to product knowledge and general service?

As I'm interested in a fair bit of boot space, I think the 407 drops down the list and the 307 remains off the list until they get an automatic gearbox into it. Why can't they make the cars I want!

Tadpole

Default Why do you want an auto?

you'll loose half that stump pulling mega torque as it goes through the converter.

Get a manual. If you d'nt know how to drive one, know is a good time to learn. Besides, you can do chirpies in manuals...
    rear engined boxer mayhem @...
    www.geocities.com/peterwood73

Fellow Frogger!

Does it HAVE to be a diesel?? Can't you get a normal 307 2L and pocket the difference in price? Will buy alot of petrol.

XTC

XTC, as I'm in Perth, how are Allpikes when it comes to product knowledge and general service?
    Allpikes have their moments.

Product knowledge you'll probably find more on AF, depends on who you speak to.

Service never had a real issue, they do as promised, but their fault finding leaves a bit to be desired, had a car that was cutting out all the time ... back to the dealer 5-6 times, plenty of software updates, parts replaced etc etc, then one day it's fine (been fine for 18+ months). Then again I know other cars that still can't be fixed 3+ years later. I don't blame the dealer, more the fact that all PSA cars rely on computers to tell them what's wrong. Just ask about Anti-Polution Faults on some AF members cars. They recently lost the best Service Manager they ever had.

I've had an Allpikes parts guy go out of his way to source some tricky things for me, was very happy with this.

And whenever I've wanted to test drive a car no drama's. Just wish they'd do some proper product launches, maybe with a new showroom in 2006 that'll be possible.

And after consistantly ignoring the local Peugeot and Citroen Clubs, I think finally they have decided a small investment in time may pay benefits.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    Does it HAVE to be a diesel?? Can't you get a normal 307 2L and pocket the difference in price? Will buy alot of petrol.
    Interesting point ...

Peugeot, 307 2.0 Touring XSR $31,690
    Peugeot, 307 2.0 HDi Touring XSR $33,990

$2300 diff (more when all the taxes are put on).

Peugeot, 307 2.0 Touring XSR
    Fuel economy city: 11.5, highway: 6.3 (combined recorded @ 7.4)

Peugeot, 307 2.0 HDi Touring XSR
    Fuel economy city: 7.3, highway: 4.7 (combined average will be about 6.0*)

* don't have "actual" figures for combined.

Ron 95 Petrol in Perth $1.12 (16/08/2005)
    Diesel Petrol in Perth $1.20 (16/08/2005)

Base calculations on 20,000kms per year.

Petrol = 1480ltrs = $1657
    Diesel = 1200ltrs = $1400

A saving of $257 ... into $2300 extra purchase price = 8.9 years to break even

Obviously these calculations change significantly if you're a lead foot, or you only do 10,000kms or conversly 50,000kms per year. But it pays to do the calculations to fit your circumstances.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Tadpole

A couple of queries:
    2) Any rumours about a 307 touring automatic in the near future? Preferably matched with the 2.0L HDi. Assuming $2200 for the auto, $36190 for the 307 touring 2.0HDi auto is a lot cheaper than >$50k for the 407. Hope they add leather as an option for the 307 touring too, though $3k is a fair bit for some dead cow, but still well over $10k cheaper than the "bigger" car.
    In relation to an auto in the 307 diesels, I'm not aware of Peugeot selling the 307 diesel with auto any where in the world, which i find suprising. I've driven the 2.0HDI 407 in auto (which is a nice ride) and like you can't see any reason why the 307 couldn't come as an auto either.

I did see a review recently, however, that mentioned that an auto may be coming next year - I can't find the review right now .. but given that it's the only reference i've seen to the diesel coming out in auto i'm not holding my breath waiting ...

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    Ron 95 Petrol in Perth $1.12 (16/08/2005)
    That's the ULP price, PULP is $1.18, or the PULP avg trend low point is about $1.215, compared to diesel $1.235
    I'd do more like 25000 and closer to 80% highway, 20% city, so that's 7.34L/100km for the petrol, and 5.2 for the HDi.

So, using those numbers I get a $618 difference, or just under 4 years payback. And who knows what the petrol/diesel prices would do over those 4 years, let alone what deals you could get on either model to expand/contract the $2300 difference!

I like the idea of the high torque over raw power. And I like to be different.

XTC

So, using those numbers I get a $618 difference, or just under 4 years payback. And who knows what the petrol/diesel prices would do over those 4 years, let alone what deals you could get on either model to expand/contract the $2300 difference!
    Exactly why you need to do your own calculations ... lucky the difference wasn't $4000 like they used to be in some cases. The other thing is people always focus on petrol prices, and forget the diesels are paying more (remember when it was 1/2?), so when/if prices come down (public outrage and all that) I wouldn't assume diesel was going to follow the same trend always.

Actually I'd like to see a plot of deisel prices v's petrol over the last 10-15 years, anyone ?

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information