Broken Mi16 - is it really worth it?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Broken Mi16 - is it really worth it?

I think my run with FWD Peugeots has just come to a spectacular end.

Whilst away on business in Darwin, my girlfriend was driving my 1992 405 Mi16. She rang me one day, complaining of overheating. I told her to check the coolant, and she told me that it took about 500mls to reach the full mark in the radiator. I accepted that, but it still didn't really explain the overheating. But it seemed to fix the problem. Next day, however, I got another call saying it was overheating much more this time. There was also steam coming from a hole "about the size of a 5 cent piece" on the end of the radiator. Over the phone I was able to deduct that it was the bleed valve on top of the radiator, the plug for which was completely missing. There was a spare at home, and the GF fitted it, let the car cool down completely, and did a bleed of the system with new coolant, started it up.............
    ..........the engine started on 2 cylinders, coolant and masses and masses of blue smoke poured out the exhaust.

Advertisement

I did the head gasket on this car only 7 months ago, at the same time i rebuilt the head, new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, gasket set throughout, new sensors throughout, new radiator, etc, etc.

I've spent a lot on this car.

The question now is if it is worth throwing even more money into it, or should I just dismantle it and cut my losses. Already cashed in the 6 months remaining registration.

From the smoke, either it's seized the rings in the pistons or melted the valve stem seals. Either way, it's going to be a lot more than just a head gasket this time.

I really don't have the money for a proper rebuild at the moment, but I do have a spare Mi16 engine in the shed, freshly rebuilt. Chances are though, the engine itself is probably worth more than the car.

So my questions are....
    1) What is a very late S1 Mi16 worth these days, with a fresh engine in it?
    2) What is a very late S1 Mi16 worth these days, with a dead engine in it?
    3) What is a fresh S1 Mi16 engine worth these days?

4) What should I do?!?!

And yes, I have already decided that when/if I can get the car back on the road, I will be selling it immediately.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu

So my questions are....
    4) What should I do?!?!
    depends on the condition of the car of course.

1. $6-8K
    2. $2-4K
    3. A brand new 16v is 1200GBP from HiFlow, UK.
    4. ???

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

will the head fit a 306 s16?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu
    I think my run with FWD Peugeots has just come to a spectacular end.

Whilst away on business in Darwin, my girlfriend was driving my 1992 405 Mi16. She rang me one day, complaining of overheating. I told her to check the coolant, and she told me that it took about 500mls to reach the full mark in the radiator. I accepted that, but it still didn't really explain the overheating. But it seemed to fix the problem. Next day, however, I got another call saying it was overheating much more this time. There was also steam coming from a hole "about the size of a 5 cent piece" on the end of the radiator. Over the phone I was able to deduct that it was the bleed valve on top of the radiator, the plug for which was completely missing. There was a spare at home, and the GF fitted it, let the car cool down completely, and did a bleed of the system with new coolant, started it up.............
    ..........the engine started on 2 cylinders, coolant and masses and masses of blue smoke poured out the exhaust.

I did the head gasket on this car only 7 months ago, at the same time i rebuilt the head, new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, gasket set throughout, new sensors throughout, new radiator, etc, etc.

I've spent a lot on this car.

The question now is if it is worth throwing even more money into it, or should I just dismantle it and cut my losses. Already cashed in the 6 months remaining registration.

From the smoke, either it's seized the rings in the pistons or melted the valve stem seals. Either way, it's going to be a lot more than just a head gasket this time.

I really don't have the money for a proper rebuild at the moment, but I do have a spare Mi16 engine in the shed, freshly rebuilt. Chances are though, the engine itself is probably worth more than the car.

So my questions are....

4) What should I do?!?!

And yes, I have already decided that when/if I can get the car back on the road, I will be selling it immediately.

I dont know if they are still available but a very good accessory if your car is to be driven by mechanically unaware people is a sensor which screws into the head directly and can be connected to a light or buzzer to tell the driver that the engine has overheated.
    Usually what happens is that the car overheats, then the water dissapears thus the guage drops again "the temperature dropped so I kept driving" is the usual report, the next thing is that the engine seizes!
    My father in law did this to his 505 GR recently.
    Graham

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

They woudn't be so stupid they would put the temperature sender on the radiator ..... That's stupidity in it's highest form. If there's rapid coolant loss, the guage will just drop ... rather than show she's cooking.

Even my old CX has the sender on the head, even with no coolant in there, she reflects the temperature the motor is at .... It's the way temperature guages should be. I do however feel cars should **ALWAYS** have an idiot light as well as a guage. You need the light to prompt to to immediatly look at the guage if there is a problem (this is espeically important where you have an oil pressure gauge fitted... You MUST have a oil pressure 'idiot light' as well).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

It would be a shame if you just bailed out... too much effort, too nice a car...

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    They woudn't be so stupid they would put the temperature sender on the radiator ..... That's stupidity in it's highest form. If there's rapid coolant loss, the guage will just drop ... rather than show she's cooking.

Even my old CX has the sender on the head, even with no coolant in there, she reflects the temperature the motor is at .... It's the way temperature guages should be. I do however feel cars should **ALWAYS** have an idiot light as well as a guage. You need the light to prompt to to immediatly look at the guage if there is a problem (this is espeically important where you have an oil pressure gauge fitted... You MUST have a oil pressure 'idiot light' as well).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    No, the normal sensor in the head will look at the water temp, when the water goes the temp gauge drops.
    This device I'm talking about screws into the head itself and measures the temp of the metal.
    Graham

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    No, the normal sensor in the head will look at the water temp, when the water goes the temp gauge drops.
    This device I'm talking about screws into the head itself and measures the temp of the metal.
    Graham
    That's what mine does ... It tends to measure metal and water temperature. The reason I know this The [email protected] of a thing dropped it's gutts one morning just as I left for work .... The temparture light does two jobs ... warns of overheating, and warns of cold coolant, while the coolant is below 50degrees the light is on to warn against driving the car hard. Above 110 (?? not sure of exact temp) it warns of overheating.

The light was on as it should be and I heard the cooling fans turn on for a few seconds about 1/2way to work, I though "Bloody weird" and glanced at the temperature guage to see oil temp .... to cold to register ... Coolant temp 114degrees

With no coolant in there the guage still worked as it was screwed into the alloy of the head. I just quickly cut the ignition and coasted off the road, allowed her to cool, added water (to see it pouring out nearly as quickly as I added it from the side of the radiator ).

The main thing being the guage worked without coolant in there !!! I think this is criticle. All was well just by replacing the radiator.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

It's actually fairly hard to cook an Mi16 without a lot of warning. They do have independent temp. guage and idiot lights, in addition to a separate sensor for the thermo fans. The whole dash would have lit up like a Christmas tree, well before it was too late.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL
    will the head fit a 306 s16?

Hi the series one MI16 is the XU9J4 engine, The 306 S16 is the XU10J4 engine.

Totally different im afraid, XU9s all alloy construction for a start.
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Thread Information