205Gti radiator light is on..
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205Gti radiator light is on..

Hi guys,

My radiator light comes on and stays on after around 15 minutes of driving. I've checke the coolant level and it's normal, the engine temp doesn't seem to gothat high up either, what can this be?

thanks,

joey

Advertisement

I've learnt to ignore mine, it's always on.
    I haven't bothered looking at it, but i'd guess the connection is dirty or the plugs faulty.

Fellow Frogger!

My coolant level light will come on occasionally, sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes for a few minutes, and if you go over a bump it'll probably go out.

It seems that generation of Peugeots can have fairly dodgy connections on the coolant level connections.

The first day I bought my 405 it came on and I got a little freaked out but opened up the radiator cap and there was clearly plenty on coolant there, so eventually you just learn to live with the dodgy connection.

Tadpole

I have a 93 Si and the same thing happened to me. I practically stripped out my entire cooling system on the side of the road one day it freaked me out so much.

What it ends up being is the low coolant warning sensor which is mounted on the left hand side of the radiator. Mine had obviously died after 160,000k's which is about right so it just stayed on all day.

All i've done is pulled the plug from the sensor rather than remove it and hey presto, no more warning light.

Before you do it though be careful that you don't actually have something wrong in there or something easy like an air pocket. Once the sensor is off its off, but i've covered 20,000k's without it and no dramas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsly
    Hi guys,

My radiator light comes on and stays on after around 15 minutes of driving. I've checke the coolant level and it's normal, the engine temp doesn't seem to gothat high up either, what can this be?

thanks,

joey

hey joey

this has happened to me years ago when i first got the car... and just about everyone it seems! i ended up replacing the sensor fitting. as suggested here i checked the connections, they were fine. the sensor was clogged, which meant the bits and pieces that needed to move couldn't.

i'm not sure about the sensor ZAD205 is talking about but the sensor i had trouble with is located in the coolant reservoir bottle, just to the side of the filler cap. it has a plug and wires going onto the top of it. you can simply take it out and try cleaning the plugs both on the sensor itself and the receiver.

if that doesn't work, give it shake up and down, you should here something rattling inside. shouldn't take to much to move it. that's the bit of the sensor that measures the coolant level in the reservoir bottle. if it isn't rattling its all clogged and rusted up inside, and i don't think you can open them to clean them. if not best to buy a new one. thats what i did, well second hand. but see what it is new...

hope this helps. i reckon its pretty important to have the coolant warning light, its not like its beeping or anything! maybe it should!!
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Whilst it is ideal to have the coolant warning level light operating, at the end of the day I would've thought a working temperature gauge is still sufficient, if you really do lose a lot of coolant the temperature is going to rise and the STOP sign will come on.

I'm probably a bit too paranoid, looking at my coolant temperature relatively often.

Fellow Frogger!

thanks everyone and renn. I will try the sensor in the coolant bottle. I've given it a clean before, lots of what looked like rust came out! I'll give it another clean and if that don't fix it, see if i can locate another one (assuming that's the problem hehe). I've got a feeling it is because after i cleaned it hte first time, the radiator light did come on briefly but went away soon after.

too scared to leave it unplugged altogether hehe

thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsly
    Hi guys,

thanks,

joey
    mayb its the thermostat is the engine temp higher than 80

Thread Information