306 1.8 8v-How much oil??
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 1.8 8v-How much oil??

Haakon's thread in the toad pond got me thinking.

Can anyone please tell me how much oil is reccommended when doing an oil change for this motor (1.8 8v)?

I too have been using the 'fill till it reaches the top of the dipstick' method, but this doesnt seem to be the right way.

Cheers

Advertisement

Where I have apprently slipped up (according to that rather detailed article Alan posted) is checking the level straight after engine shut down, when all the oil is still in the galleries, cam case etc etc.

If you check it after its been sitting for a while, or in the morning, you should have a full reading.

If I check mine like I have been doing, its on the full mark. Check it again after its sat for a while, and all the oil has settled down out of the motor and I get 6 mm overfull...

Have you got the handbook? Should tell you in there (like mine does... ) I got a good ribbing from a female friend - something about men and not reading instructions...
    Last edited by Haakon; 12th August 2005 at 09:57 AM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Have you got the handbook? Should tell you in there (like mine does... ) I got a good ribbing from a female friend - something about men and not reading instructions...
    Thanks mate, we can always rely on you to make mistakes, so we can learn from them.

I havent got a manual for the 306, so yeah anyone that does do you mind having a quick look for me. Will exchange camels & donkeys for information

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Thanks mate, we can always rely on you to make mistakes, so we can learn from them.
    Oi! I resemble that remark
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

On the BX engines, they have this thing about it taking 5 litres when the filter is changed.
    I make it a habit when I get a car in the family, to give it an oil and filter change at the first opportunity. Use as recommended, 5 litres, check the dipstick, start the engine, check as soon as turned off and then check again say a half hour or so later.
    This way, I have a clue on exactly what it should show at any time I need to check the oil.
    Just a tip.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information