404 steering rack
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    bega
    Posts
    158

    Default 404 steering rack

    The old 404 ute is up for rego and I ran into some trouble with the rego inspection mechanic.
    1) he considered that the LPG tank was out of date since he couldn't decipher the marks. The fact that the same inspection station passed the tank last year was irrelevant........... Had it properly inspected / re-certified yeaterday with the question by the inspector why I needed to do it 5 years early. He could see the markings clearly. It was done in 2000.

    2) the rego inspection mechanic wants a steering rack adjustment for the car. He showed me, with the front off the floor, that there is a bit of play on the driver's side, when moving the rim&tyre sideways (left / right).
    Have the car booked in with another mechanical workshop / steering specialist for tomorrow to do that job and a wheel allignment, but with the fantastic knowledge of all things Peugeot here in this district, it might be useful if I could give the mechanic some hints. ANYONE??

    Thanks in anticipation.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wouter
    The old 404 ute is up for rego and I ran into some trouble with the rego inspection mechanic.
    1) he considered that the LPG tank was out of date since he couldn't decipher the marks. The fact that the same inspection station passed the tank last year was irrelevant........... Had it properly inspected / re-certified yeaterday with the question by the inspector why I needed to do it 5 years early. He could see the markings clearly. It was done in 2000.

    2) the rego inspection mechanic wants a steering rack adjustment for the car. He showed me, with the front off the floor, that there is a bit of play on the driver's side, when moving the rim&tyre sideways (left / right).
    Have the car booked in with another mechanical workshop / steering specialist for tomorrow to do that job and a wheel allignment, but with the fantastic knowledge of all things Peugeot here in this district, it might be useful if I could give the mechanic some hints. ANYONE??

    Thanks in anticipation.

    Let me know if he succeeds!
    AFAIK you would need to resleeve the rack housing. I usually replace the rack but they are getting scarcer, most cars for wrecking have worn out racks.
    Graham

  3. #3
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wouter
    The old 404 ute is up for rego and I ran into some trouble with the rego inspection mechanic.
    1) he considered that the LPG tank was out of date since he couldn't decipher the marks. The fact that the same inspection station passed the tank last year was irrelevant........... Had it properly inspected / re-certified yeaterday with the question by the inspector why I needed to do it 5 years early. He could see the markings clearly. It was done in 2000.

    2) the rego inspection mechanic wants a steering rack adjustment for the car. He showed me, with the front off the floor, that there is a bit of play on the driver's side, when moving the rim&tyre sideways (left / right).
    Have the car booked in with another mechanical workshop / steering specialist for tomorrow to do that job and a wheel allignment, but with the fantastic knowledge of all things Peugeot here in this district, it might be useful if I could give the mechanic some hints. ANYONE??

    Thanks in anticipation.
    check bushes and ball joints first
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,694

    Default 404 steering rack?

    The thrust/damper adjustment may need a shim or two taken out.
    Check for condition of thrust pad and spring. 25x

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    bega
    Posts
    158

    Default 404 steering rack

    Thanks All for the replies.
    I've printed them out and passed on to the mechanic; he may even take notice.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    bega
    Posts
    158

    Default who is wrong??

    As mentioned before, I took the ute to a local steering / wheel alignment specialist on Friday. He had no time till about 4 pm to look at it. When I next spoke to him he said that he couldn't find anything wrong and that he would certainly pass the steering. Drove to the rego mechanic but he was closed (4:35 pm)

    What is going on?? Is my rego checker incompetent, or did I do something wrong to him and he's getting back at me (I'm not aware of anything like that) OR
    does the steering specialist see something wrong, but doesn't feel like fixing it because (a) he doesn't know how to or (b) doesn't have the parts or a combination of the 2?

    Of course with the rego checker being wrong with the LPG tank in the first place he might want to stick to his opinion re the steering in order not to loose to much face.....

    What can one do in NSW if you find that the rego mechanic is wrong apart from running to the RTA and then having the chance to have the vehicle checked with a fine tooth comb (risky for a 33 years old car)

    Opinions please.

  7. #7
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Get a slip from both of them... one with the steering showing as dud, the other with it as okay. Tell them you're taking them to the RTA and you're going to pressure them to allow the car back on the road.

    Pretty soon the guy will cave in and pass it... he doesn't want to be audited by the department.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,694

    Default 404 steering rack.

    Wouter,
    I'm surprised to find the owner of a 404 "bachie" who doesn't do his own maintenance. It's not rocket science. My previous suggested fix would only require raising the front wheels from the ground, remove the thrust pad cover and remove a shim, replace cover. Have someone move the steering while you observe for any play. Also after carrying out further adjustment make sure the steering moves from lock to lock without binding.

    A small tip. Make sure everything is cleaned up around the rack cover, the inspector will see that you've made an attempt and may even be impressed.

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! Filldebin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Wouter,
    I'm surprised to find the owner of a 404 "bachie" who doesn't do his own maintenance. It's not rocket science. My previous suggested fix would only require raising the front wheels from the ground, remove the thrust pad cover and remove a shim, replace cover. Have someone move the steering while you observe for any play. Also after carrying out further adjustment make sure the steering moves from lock to lock without binding.

    A small tip. Make sure everything is cleaned up around the rack cover, the inspector will see that you've made an attempt and may even be impressed.

    Too true, but I suppose time could be a problem. I have often wondered what the situation is on roadworthy checks in WA. Are there annual ones or only when selling or buying vehicles?

    Phil

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    bega
    Posts
    158

    Default satisfactory ending

    Thanks for the suggestions Wildebeest, but Phil is right, its is a matter of time plus with my very old bones I do need assistance. The wizzard who usually assists me is sick at the moment.
    The play is so minor, that two "experts" told me not to worry and that they certainly wouldn't fault the vehicle for it.
    Ray, your suggestion worked! I went back to the rego mechanic this morning and explained that we had a problem, that a steering specialist saw no fault and a mechanic I saw this week-end neither. A few mutterings along the line of your suggestion, Ray, quickly produced the pink slip.

    Meanwhile I'll keep a close look on the situation and adjust the rack pre-load as soon as possible.

    Thanks everyone for the contributions

    Wouter

  11. #11
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Glad to hear it...

    Hey, what's this about 'very old bones'? Don't give up!

    Remind me when I'm next in the area to drop in and say hello...

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    bega
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Glad to hear it...

    Hey, what's this about 'very old bones'? Don't give up!

    Remind me when I'm next in the area to drop in and say hello...
    No Ray, I won't give up, but crawling under a car with two new knees and arthritis in lower back and right hip IS definitely difficult.

  13. #13
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Don't tell me your hoist has failed you and your son didn't return your car ramps!

    I suppose he has the creeper too...

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,694

    Default 404 rack and inspection.

    Quote Originally Posted by Filldebin
    Too true, but I suppose time could be a problem. I have often wondered what the situation is on roadworthy checks in WA. Are there annual ones or only when selling or buying vehicles?

    Phil
    Phil,
    The situation in WA is that we don't have annual or selling buying /
    inspections.
    However a very thorough inspection is done when a vehicle licence has expired. Random roadside inspections are also a fact of life here in WA. Red and Yellow [canaries] stickers are issued for faults, inspections followed.

    I love to repeat the following item.
    "The authorities in WA have decided that because of the incidence of road crashes, both fatal and injurious, caused by unroadworthy vehicles is minimal. To set up a whole new bureaucracy to carry out annual inspections was not worthwhile".

    The above was the thinking of a few years ago, things may change, let us hope not!
    The thought of ex pommy MOT inspectors armed with ice picks fills me with dread.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •