Mi16 engine cutting out
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mi16 engine cutting out

Hi
    I have a series 2 Mi16.

Went to leave on a holiday last week and only managed to get about 20 minutes out of town. We accelerated out of a T-intersection, K-light came on and the engine started to miss above 3000 revs. The K-light went off again, but the car still only manages to rev to 3000.

Advertisement

The car will pull perfectly up to this point, and then just completely die.

Naturally, we slowly headed home, and headed off in the work car. This is a breed that I certainly not choose to take on a skiing holiday!!!

I am after any ideas possible on how to start finding this problem when I get home.

Thanks, Simon

No big deal really; follow this which is for a BX but I'm pretty sure it's similar for a Pug.

Citroen BX TZi ECU diagnostic codes

That should tell you what the fault is. My initial guess would be possibly crank angle sensor which may need replacing or may just need removing cleaning it and the wiring to it up and refitting.
    It may also be a Lambda sensor (Oxygen) but just use the self diagnostics to find out the source of the problem.
    If the problem isn't reveealed doing this, then you might need to look at the fuel filter or something fuel related, but my guess would be the CAS going on the suddeness of the fault.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
    I think I have found the relevant connector, it is in the plastic fuse & relay box next to the ABS unit. I have followed the instructions provided in the link, ie earth the relevant wire for 3 seconds, but nothing seems to happen.

Unfortunately, I have removed the battery for another reason, and I fear that the codes may have been lost. However, I would still like to give this a try. Do you have any further advice on how to access the codes???

Thanks, Simon

Fellow Frogger!

Default finding codes

Yes they will have been lost, you need to run the car again so the light comes on and the code is stored again. You need two people to test the code. I find the easiest way to do it is to get a 1m or so length of speaker wire (ie two core). At one end, join both cores together, then attach to the negative terminal. Now turn the key in igntion to "on" position, the K light should be permanently illuminated in this position. Get someone to sit in the car and return to the engine bay. Now, put one core of wire into one terminal on the connector, then touch the other core in the other terminal for about 3 seconds then take it out. The k light should flash once, then once again signifying "11". This indicates the start of the test. Repeat the procedure until you get "12" which is the end of the test. If no flashing happens, turn the connector up the other way,you may have been shorting it the wrong way round. hope that helps
    1984 505 STI

months ago i got quote $1200 to fix this problem

Hi Chef,

So what did you do??? And are you refering to my cutting out problem?

Cheers, Simon

well, it cost me too much so I just left the k-light on, and just few weeks ago until now, the light is not showing up so guess i just save some $$$. But I want to find out whats the problem with the light.

Hi,

I managed to get the error codes. Thats a great bit of information to know from Lunchcutter.
    It came up with two codes. One was 41, which going of the XU9J2 sheet is the Engine RPM sensor. The other code is 65, which is not on this sheet (i have a XU10J4 motor). Can anyone help with identifying this error??

Thanks, Simon

I found a list of all the different error codes for different Pugs on the peugeotlogic.com website. Apparently my codes are for the engine speed sensor and the No1 cylinder reference sensor. Where do I find these two sensors on the engine? The workshop manual I have is not very helpful in this regard. Any ideas?

Thanks, Simon

Simon,

Have a scratch around here and see what turns up.

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/Electrical/ (BX16V = Mi16)

http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/bosch.html

At a guess, I would imagine the engine speed sensor would need to be operating on either the crank or camshafts and if the crank, I'd be looking in the vicinity of the flywheel.
    Hopefully one of these links will point you in the right direction.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hey mate,

Error 41 = Is the engine speed sensor
    Error 65 = No 1 Cylinder Ref Sensor i.e Camshaft Position Sensor

I had the error 65 and replaced the sensor...after that it was spot on mate..

Attached is table of fault codes...hope this will help you in future mate...

Attached Files Attached Files
    With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Thanks,
    Now I know what sensors need looking at, but where do I find them on the engine?? Where exactly do I need to look?

Thanks, Simon

Thread Information