504 GL brakes.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 504 GL brakes.

Default 504 GL brakes.

Returning home this morning I felt my 504 losing power.[504 & power? A contradiction in terms, yes I know]. It turns out the rear brakes are coming on. Also the pedal pressure was hard like it had a faulty booster.

Advertisement

Checked the handbrake to make sure it was coming off and also the booster vacuum reserve with engine stopped= 5+ pumps of the pedal. All OK.
    The car still wouldn't roll freely so I released the hydraulic pressure at the master cylinder. This allowed the car to move.
    Im thinking could there be some rubbish in one of the master cylinder ports preventing fluid from returning? I overhauled the master cylinder a few months back, making sure everything was clean.
    Or could it be a faulty brake compensator valve? This has had a slight leak for the 5 years I've owned the car.

Any ideas before I take the plastic out of its cage and order a new compensator?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Returning home this morning I felt my 504 losing power.[504 & power? A contradiction in terms, yes I know]. It turns out the rear brakes are coming on. Also the pedal pressure was hard like it had a faulty booster.

Checked the handbrake to make sure it was coming off and also the booster vacuum reserve with engine stopped= 5+ pumps of the pedal. All OK.
    The car still wouldn't roll freely so I released the hydraulic pressure at the master cylinder. This allowed the car to move.
    Im thinking could there be some rubbish in one of the master cylinder ports preventing fluid from returning? I overhauled the master cylinder a few months back, making sure everything was clean.
    Or could it be a faulty brake compensator valve? This has had a slight leak for the 5 years I've owned the car.

Any ideas before I take the plastic out of its cage and order a new compensator?
    Wilde
    I had this prob. a few months ago, appeared that the handbrakes tensions were not returning after releasing the handbrake, pulled them out a saw rust,dirt..etc in the tubes which stuck them and prevent the master from releasing...bought a brand new set and every thing was well
    If its a master cylinder prob. it will not work at all
    Just check these handbrake tubes
    Amr
    1975 504GL

Default 504 brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by amremarah
    Wilde
    I had this prob. a few months ago, appeared that the handbrakes tensions were not returning after releasing the handbrake, pulled them out a saw rust,dirt..etc in the tubes which stuck them and prevent the master from releasing...bought a brand new set and every thing was well
    If its a master cylinder prob. it will not work at all
    Just check these handbrake tubes
    Amr
    Amr,
    Thanks for your prompt reply. My handbrake operation is OK. The non return of 504 handbrakes is legendary, I've got a 50cent fix for this, posted earlier.

Now that my mind is clearer[?] I think I may have answered my own question in suspecting the master cylinder. Will have a look this morning.

Amr, about your consumption problem. I'm sorry I haven't been able to find the magic fix. Can only suggest previous ideas. Double check the correct fitting of the two main jets and choke flaps.

Default 504 brakes.

Replaced suspect master cylinder with a known unit, everything OK now.
    Dismantled the original cylinder, found some small grit inside, possibly from a not very successful clean out of the reservoir.
    It's good when things turn out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Replaced suspect master cylinder with a known unit, everything OK now.
    Dismantled the original cylinder, found some small grit inside, possibly from a not very successful clean out of the reservoir.
    It's good when things turn out OK.
    So return valve ports blocked? I was stuck once with my Renault 750 due to a flap of rubber that had come off INSIDE a brake hose preventing return flow from the wheel cylinder, leaving one brake locked on after one application. Took a while to think through....

Glad yours was fixed relatively easily.

cheers

JohnW

Thread Information