S16 Wheel Alignment settings
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! Atan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    261

    Default S16 Wheel Alignment settings

    I am getting some new tyres for my 94 S16 (Potenza G3) and am wondering what the recommended wheel alignment settings are for Front and Rear so that I can give it to the tyre guys incase they stuff it up
    Can anyone help with this information?

    Advertisement
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

    2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts brenno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    2035
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Hi Atan,

    This thread may be of help;

    Wheel alignment specs for 306

    Also try this link;

    http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop...n/align306.htm

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Did you ever find what a thrust aligment was Brenno? - Chris
    ... ptui!

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts brenno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    2035
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    No, but there is an explanation here;

    http://www.bobjane.com.au/Services/WheelAlignment.asp

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts U Turn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    I am getting some new tyres for my 94 S16 (Potenza G3) and am wondering what the recommended wheel alignment settings are for Front and Rear so that I can give it to the tyre guys incase they stuff it up
    Can anyone help with this information?
    From what I was told, the S16 has the same suspension as the gti6. If so, you'll find that the only alignment that is adjustable is Toe, and that only on the front wheels. The others (camber, castor, king pin incl.,) can't be adjusted at all. I was informed this by 4 different alignment/tyre places after I'd asked for a 'full wheel alignment' and they looked under the car and came back with the info. Since then I just specify a toe alignment. As for the setting, I use 2mm toe out (2mm total between the wheels, NOT per wheel, or you could also ask for 1mm per wheel). Turn in feels excellent and I haven't noticed any extra tyre wear with this setting.
    Take the long way home....

    - 306 gti6

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    From what I was told, the S16 has the same suspension as the gti6.
    Unfortunately the A arms on the N3/N5 and the Gti-6 are slightly different. I thought that too until I had them shown to me side by side. This alone makes the settings different too. - Chris
    ... ptui!

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts U Turn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Unfortunately the A arms on the N3/N5 and the Gti-6 are slightly different. I thought that too until I had them shown to me side by side. This alone makes the settings different too. - Chris
    Thanks for the info Chris. I didn't know that. Are you sure the dimensions are different as well though? Noting that I haven't seen them, just wondering whether the gti6 wishbone is just beefed up more? A couple of mag articles I've read said the S16 and gti6 susp are exactly the same, but then again, we all know how reliable those mags are I certainly noticed a difference in the way the two cars handle when I drove an S16, but I put it down to just difference between tyres/chassis stiffness/age of the car. Anyway, it's good info because I know with the wishbone bushes, some places do a straight swap i.e you hand in your wishbone with the stuffed bushes and they'll replace it with a wishbone that they've rebushed earlier. So I better make sure they don't replace the gti6 wishbone with the S16 one in that case.
    Take the long way home....

    - 306 gti6

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    Thanks for the info Chris. I didn't know that. Are you sure the dimensions are different as well though? Noting that I haven't seen them, just wondering whether the gti6 wishbone is just beefed up more? A couple of mag articles I've read said the S16 and gti6 susp are exactly the same, but then again, we all know how reliable those mags are I certainly noticed a difference in the way the two cars handle when I drove an S16, but I put it down to just difference between tyres/chassis stiffness/age of the car. Anyway, it's good info because I know with the wishbone bushes, some places do a straight swap i.e you hand in your wishbone with the stuffed bushes and they'll replace it with a wishbone that they've rebushed earlier. So I better make sure they don't replace the gti6 wishbone with the S16 one in that case.
    Were talking mm's nothing huge, but when the 2 were side by side it is visible. Plus there was other changes from the N3's to the N5's that were more than just cosmetic. I'm sure the struts are different too as when Eibach sells springs the Gti-6 are different from the S16 units, but that just could be down to marketing.
    I don't know if you know off/remember David Warner automotive? But thats who showed me the difference. - Chris
    ... ptui!

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! Atan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    261

    Default

    So are the alignments the same for both S16 and GTi6 i.e toe out +1mm L+R fronts or does someone have a bit more information?
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

    2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    So are the alignments the same for both S16 and GTi6 i.e toe out +1mm L+R fronts or does someone have a bit more information?
    Sorry mate we carried away, lucky that never happens on AF..... lol.
    But when I had my alignments done the (7day wheel & tyre was the last place) computer had (N3) XSi as a listed car so we used those settings. I don't have the figures but the car always steered well, wore its tyres correctly and didn't pull under braking/acceleration. - Chris
    ... ptui!

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! Atan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    261

    Default

    So would all N3 have the same settings? and if the tyre place had them on their alignment machines, one "assumes" that things could be set up more or less correctly
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

    2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    So would all N3 have the same settings? and if the tyre place had them on their alignment machines, one "assumes" that things could be set up more or less correctly
    In a nutshell, YES. Thats what i did. There was very little alternative. Have you given any of the pug service centers a call to see if there is a diff??
    The fact that the car behaved a little better than before on the same tyres is a variable given, but true for the 3 sets of tyres i had fitted over the 6 years I had the S16. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •