Flushing differentials out
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 Flushing differentials out

I am in the process of changing the oil in the 505's diff in preparation for a trip to Adelaide at the end of the month. The oil that was in the diff was very old and gluggy. It still smelt like transmission oil though. It is sort of coming out in clumps an I thought it might be a good idea to flush out the old oil from the diff. Has anyone had to do this and what did you use? I could imagne the flushing fluid would have to be fairly thin, dissolve the old oil/crap and not affect the new oil when it is replaced. Could you use engine oil, take the car for a short run and then drain it out? I'm putting in Valvoline HP 80W/90.

Thanks,

Matt.

Advertisement
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Default Flushing diff oil.

Matt,
    I would run the car with a refill of new gear oil for a week or two then drain and refill before the trip.
    If your car is an auto the diff oil can be diluted by a leaking trans rear seal.
    When you removed the fill plug before draining did oil run out? This is an indication of the above. Don't worry, some dilution won't harm.

A little tip I would pass onto apprentices. Never remove the drain plug first. If you have difficulty or can't remove the filler plug you're in the 'nure
    Also, if you are called away from the job someone seeing the filler plug in place may assume it has been refilled. Pugrambo would be aware of this from his HD days?

Just a little bit on this that *may* be worthy of consideration.
    I often suggest to guys with notchy gear changes on BXs and 405s to run a tube of Nulon G70 in with the VMX80 Castrol gear oil when they do a transmission oil change based on the results I had with it.
    As an additional bit of info to that, I also do two changes and others have also found this, due to the fact that when the transmission oil is drained after a short perion running G70 in it, the oil comes out absolutely full of all kinds of crap, so the conclusion I have come to is that either by accident or design, this Nulon G70 seems to either have a high detergent value or it homogenises with the oil so well that it really flushes all the crap out of ever nook and cranny in the gearbox, so even if you don't intend using it in the diff as an additive once the oil is changed for the second time, it might be worthy of dumping the recommended dose (125ml from memory) in there if you follow wildebeast suggestion of giving it a straight out change to rid it of all the garbage that's in there.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Icon7

Thanks Wildebeest. That's probably the easiest/simplest approach. I have 20l of MEK sitting up in the shed, I thought, hmmm, that'd dissolve anything. I quickly put that thought out of my head.

It did occur to me to get the filler undone first for exactly the reasons you stated. It is the hardest to remove as it sits behind the spare wheel with limited space. These plugs can be buggers to remove.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Thread Information