205 gti running hot?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 gti running hot?

Over the last couple of months i seem to be having cooling problems with my 205. If i am sitting in traffic the needle will climb to the second last marker and sit there, or just slightly cooler untill i start moving over 70 odd kmh. i have had the radiator checked for blockages, and the fan "seems" to be working, so i am not sure whether this is a normal idling temperature for the car.... once i start going though, the temperature will drop by about 2-3 markers, so it does make a big difference.... and even though i cannot find a leak in my cooling system, i have to top it up every month.........
    i really don't want the head to go, so am unsure what to do

Advertisement

I think that your relais does not function wel (or not at all).
    The fan should be working between 86-92 degrees Celcius.

Does the fan work?
    205 1.9 GTI Griffe (1991)

Check my website: WWW.205GRIFFE.TK

Either that, or it might be your thermostat. Putting a new thermostat in made a massive difference to my 205. It is easy to access yourself, or you can get someone to do it for you for about $100-150 including the part.
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:
    R19RT; 1979 504GL Berline with Factory Air; S3 205GTi; 206GTi; 505STi; R4

Tadpole

fan does work because i can hear it kick in, but it only kicks in once the car is quite hot, and stops working as soon as the gauge gets to the third last bar

Fellow Frogger!

The fans kick in at very high temps the first speed kicks in at 92.3 and the second speed at 97.5 these are the numbers on the old thermostat switch I pulled out and they were the same on the new one I put in, in stop start traffic the 205 suffers from massive heat soak which causes the temp to rise as long as it not overheating then it is ok, if you have to top the coolant up check the cap on the radiator on the passengers side, the seal on this goes hard and causes coolant to weep out, the cap is cheap to replace so this might be worth a look.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Icon11

It sounds to me like the thermo fan switch. I had the same problem a couple of years ago. The fan would only start when it was REALLY hot, which it should do, as it will override the fan switch. The giveaway for me was when I turned the car off after she was running warm, the fan turned off with the car... when it should run for a few minutes until the temperature lowers.
    I replaced mine in the UK so the temperature settings are a little low for the Oz climate. When I turn off the car and she is really warm, the fan will continue to run for sometimes up to 10 mins to cool the water down.
    As pugsy mentioned there will be 2 fan speeds set between 2 temperatures, the higher one is what you will be hearing...

From memory it only cost me 10 pounds, so I would expect it to cost around $30. It easy to change also... just pull the wiring plug off, undo from rad (It won't leak water) and put the new one in. Mine was a plastic thread so it only needed to be tightened by hand. It might pay to check the blades on the plug.. I think they have 2 types, one type with the blades both parrallell, and the other type with one blade hoz and the earth vertical. Nothing worse than rocking up to Peugeot to buy the part, only to have them say "we have to types here on our system... what's the VIN no of your car?"
    Last edited by MayheM; 4th August 2005 at 09:44 PM.
    MayheM

Fellow Frogger!

From memory a new thermostat switch cost between $40-50, if you have a later model with all the power steering and fuses boxes on the passenger side of the engine you have to do a bit of looseing and pushing bits aside and it's easy to do, I had a little bit of coolant come out but if you are quick you wont loose much, easy!
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Thread Information