Wierd Rattle
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Wierd Rattle

Default Wierd Rattle

Hey Guys,

just checking on what the cause of this rattle could be...

Advertisement

car: 1990 405 Mi16 - XU9J4

i will push my foot down on the clutch the car will be purring nicely, i release the clutch (in nuetral) and i get a slight rattle happening. i put the foot down on the accelarator and the noise will get faster. its enough to get me worried that something isnt exactly right.

also, when i put my foot down and put the car up some sort of load, i will get noise sounding like a million leaves rustling around. this is more noticable in confined areas due to echos. could this be related to a rattle in the gearbox regoin? or something else.

ive got a GreenCotton air filter on the way, as the old one is buggered, and i switched to full synthetic oils, and this quitened down the noisy lifters alot, and im running Synergy8000 and new NGK spark plugs. would old injectors make a wierd noise? certainly new ones cant hurt.

im just rambling no and i can tell... but yeah, if anyone could throw me any possible causes of the wierd rattle id be all ears. if you need me to be more specific, i can try.

Cheers.
    Paul.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    Hey Guys,

just checking on what the cause of this rattle could be...

car: 1990 405 Mi16 - XU9J4

i will push my foot down on the clutch the car will be purring nicely, i release the clutch (in nuetral) and i get a slight rattle happening. i put the foot down on the accelarator and the noise will get faster. its enough to get me worried that something isnt exactly right.

also, when i put my foot down and put the car up some sort of load, i will get noise sounding like a million leaves rustling around. this is more noticable in confined areas due to echos. could this be related to a rattle in the gearbox regoin? or something else.

ive got a GreenCotton air filter on the way, as the old one is buggered, and i switched to full synthetic oils, and this quitened down the noisy lifters alot, and im running Synergy8000 and new NGK spark plugs. would old injectors make a wierd noise? certainly new ones cant hurt.

im just rambling no and i can tell... but yeah, if anyone could throw me any possible causes of the wierd rattle id be all ears. if you need me to be more specific, i can try.

Cheers.
    Paul.
    Hey Paul,
    If the noise only occurs when the clutch is engaged it could be a worn thrust bearing. My car has this problem too but I'm not worrying about replacing it until I need a new clutch...which I think is on its way out too.
    Can you hear it whilst driving?
    As for the other noise...might need a bit more description Sounds like it could be exhaust related...maybe a loose baffle or loose springs on the downpipe flange, stuffed cat...who knows.
    Last edited by JAG80; 3rd August 2005 at 10:38 PM.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

hey jon,

when my clutch dies, im booking it in for a gearbox reco... so i guess theres no huge worries there with the thrust bearing.

now the other noise... it could just be the bearing getting really loud? but i doubt it.

more than likely, my friggen tappets are making the noise. but it almost sounds like an induction noise too, a sorta sucking noise with a tapping noise there as well. ill have a proper listen to whats happening tomorrow, and ill post it up.

paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    hey jon,

when my clutch dies, im booking it in for a gearbox reco... so i guess theres no huge worries there with the thrust bearing.

now the other noise... it could just be the bearing getting really loud? but i doubt it.

more than likely, my friggen tappets are making the noise. but it almost sounds like an induction noise too, a sorta sucking noise with a tapping noise there as well. ill have a proper listen to whats happening tomorrow, and ill post it up.

paul.

Hmmm...yeah it sounds like what mine's doing. Sometimes it's very noticeable at idle, other times hardly noticeable at all. Lately I've been hearing it whilst driving so it must be getting worse. If that noise disappears when you push the clutch in it must be gearbox/clutch related...tappets are usually as the name suggests..a sort of tapping sound.
    Maybe get a professional opinion. Do you still take your car to the boys at autoparis?
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

nah, ive only been to Autoparis once or twice... im currently going to Hartrick European in Surrey Hills. good bloke, not too pricey, good service.

ill be going back to Autoparis when the funds pick up more. ill be getting my gearbox and clutch done there tho. i spoke to Danny(i think) ages ago about it on the phone. i was actually going to get a service and gearbox reco done their afew weeks ago but then i hit that roo/wallaby.

ill get the whole thing checked out soon enough tho, dont want anything huge going amiss.

Thread Information