Buying a new 180
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Buying a new 180

Hi Guys,

I'm about to buy a new 206 gti 180 from a dealer.

Advertisement

Can anyone give me some buying tips for making sure I don't get a lemon?
    I've read some stories about all sorts of things being wrong with new ones, so are there any measures I can take to make sure the car's perfect when I get it?

Of course, I'll go over the bodywork etc for scratches/dents, but I will have no clue when it comes to checking out the mechanics etc and don't even know what option you have to get a professional to look at it before taking delivery.

First up... CONGRATULATIONS.

Secondly:

http://www.206gti.net/delivery.shtml

Thirdly:
    Welcome the the club
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

There's not really much you can do. It's not like the car's been running & will show signs of any problems. Just make sure you get anything that goes wrong with it fixed under warranty & ASAP. Mostly, though, the issues with the 180 tend to be electrical ones.

Make sure you put in writing in the contract that the car is 05 build date ie that is has an 05 built plate as well as an 05 compliance plate, so that they don't give you one built last year!

Paltallo

Tadpole

OK.. thanks guys... sounds like there's not too much I can do prior to taking delivery. I will definitely get 05 build date put in writing when I buy. I may still put the sale through carbroker.com.au, so they make sure it's a build date within 90 days anyway.
    I guess I'll just get a good Peugeot mechanic to have a good look over it after I take delivery to make sure everything is all OK.

Just standard stuff,go over it for a good half hour.Look at everything,exterior,interior trim,boot,glovebox etc etc etc.Once you take it they can and will claim it happened after you took it.Take dealer for drive if you can to check for any rattles/noises.Get the dealer to organise tinting if you want it,the black dots surrounding the rear/side windows cause alot of tinters problems and the dealer will give you extra leverage if they **** it up.05 build is just for better resale,no actual difference vs an 04,all that matters is the build plate so its classed as 05.

Warranty work on mine:

driver side window rattled when down
    passenger side mirror would not retract (turn electric mirror button so line is pointing backwards,both mirrors should fold in).

Side note:be careful with the wheels,there is a little plastic thing in the boot for removing the nut covers,tyre techs seem to prefer screwdrivers and scratching the rim.
    Last edited by Mandible; 5th August 2005 at 03:23 PM.

How long do you have warranty on Peugeots in Australia?

In Europe it's now 2 years a least, in the Netherlands it's even 5 years.

If the 206 GTi-180 stands in the showroom for some time, do check everything as maybe quite some dealer-visitors sat in the car. Can't the dealer get a new one straight out of the factory?
    Michel van der Heiden

webstats: 17250+ pug pictures, 5 hours of Pug vids!

Quote Originally Posted by Michel 106GTi
    How long do you have warranty on Peugeots in Australia?

In Europe it's now 2 years a least, in the Netherlands it's even 5 years.

If the 206 GTi-180 stands in the showroom for some time, do check everything as maybe quite some dealer-visitors sat in the car. Can't the dealer get a new one straight out of the factory?
    Sure, but the factory's 18,000km away as the commercial plane flies Anything can happen in that time.

Oh, and the warranty is 3 yrs/100,000km in Australia these days.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information