205 gti Gearbox
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 gti Gearbox

Tadpole

Default 205 gti Gearbox

I have just purchased my first 205 in very nice condition.
    It is a 91 model.
    Do they have any gearbox weaknesses as mine seems to be loose in accelerating and decellerating. Its not the stick just seems loose. Can this be tightened or will something need to be replaced?
    Also i have another post regarding a small electrical problem if anyone is good with this stuff before i take it to someone and pay a packet.
    thanks guys
    matt

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by spiral27
    I have just purchased my first 205 in very nice condition.
    It is a 91 model.
    Do they have any gearbox weaknesses as mine seems to be loose in accelerating and decellerating. Its not the stick just seems loose. Can this be tightened or will something need to be replaced?
    Also i have another post regarding a small electrical problem if anyone is good with this stuff before i take it to someone and pay a packet.
    thanks guys
    matt
    Check all the engine mounts and replace if necessary. Also check the bolts from the gearbox to the engine. One of mine had a stripped thread. If your gearshift is sloppy check the bolt on linkage plate (under exhaust manifold) and tighten if necessary.

Jarrod

Tadpole

from what i can see as a novice, replacing them and even finding them looks ridiculously impossible. and even if i find them how to tell if any are broken.I guess i should just pay the money as im not famillair with the car.

Please dont just pay someone to have a look at your car as not many Mechanics seem to have time for Peugeots. Either take it to someone who you know and trust or buy a manual and get amongst it yourself and youll be amazed at how quick you will lern with a bit of time. Thats how i lerent.
    There are a few places that you can takeit to that alot of the guys use on here. Paul Vasarlo spelling) i think is in Gladesville. Someone might be able to tell you more about him. I got stung a few time even by peugeot when i took mine there for the first time and wont do that again.

Anyway i would have a look as i live in sydney but am in france at the moment.

Regards Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I'd second Cam's comments and suggest you at least get someone like Paul or one of the other 'recommended through experience' type Pug repairers to at least give a diagnosis on it to pin point where the problem lies.
    It could be engine mounts, driveshaft, exhaust or as we found recenly on a BX (same mechanicals) that it was the clutch beginning to fall apart.
    Of course being your first 205, there's also the possibility that it may just be the nature of the beast and there's nothing wrong at all, but take it to a dodgy mechanic and he's not going to tell you this, rather he'll get you to "drop it in" tell you a tale of woe using a lot of big words and hand you a king size account whilst assuring you that what was wrong has now been fixed even though it still feels the same.
    Learning to avoid that kind of treatment is the first thing you learn as an owner of a French car.
    If there's any chance of some of the longer term 205 drivers getting together in the next few days, might be a good chance to tag along, get to know some of the other owners and also get a 2nd and 3rd opinion on it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

That sounds good, let me know and ill try and make it.
    Im a bit broke seeing as i just bought the car, and these problems arent major ath the mom, but i would eventually like to get everything up to scratch.

This could be your answer.

205/206 Cruze Survey...

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information