206xr Funny engine behavior over 4,000rpm
  • Register
  • Help

Default 206xr Funny engine behavior over 4,000rpm

Hi all,

I have noticed something wierd in my car over the last week. When the revs climb over 4,000rpm (regardless of temp) the engine seems to be struggling or labouring. The revs take much lunger to climb and for some reason the engine almost sounds like it would when it was reaching neear it's rev limit. It almost won't go over 4,800 or 5,000 at the most.

The revs used to bounce off the limiter at about 7,200 if you let them climb that high, but now they really won't climb at all.

The car feels totaly fine however at lower revs, it seems to have the same power and smotheness through the 0-4,000rpm rev range as it always had.

I am wondering if it needs an oil change, or airfilter change?

Maybe the catalytic convertor is on the way out?

Or maybe there is an issue with the timing belt on the engine??

I don't know much mechanially, so any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Advertisement
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

I don't know if this work for you but... A workmate of mine recently went to a Peugeot dealer to service his 206. He got the latest software updates as well as some of the recalls done at that time. He was happy with the car before but after this service he was ecstatic!

The software was an update of his engine control module thingies. The car runs better now and the gear changes are smoother (it's an auto).

Give it a go, I'm sure there are some people in this forum who will recommend one of the better dealerships to go to for the service in your area.

Nick
    You twist and turn like a twist-ey turn-ey thing! - Lord Melchett - Blackadder the 2nd

thanks Dr Nick.

I have actually got the problem(s) looked at and fixed.

The car is running better then ever now. It just needed new spark plugs, injectors, oil change, timing and idle adjusted, etc. Something the the Pug delaers never did.

The mechanic could not believe for instance that my coolant had never EVER beeen changed, and it was a brown thick goop. Alec Mildren (aka the devil) should have done this at it's major 60,000km service, or atleast at the 70,000 service which they also did (or didn't do).

I know many people, many on this forum and many not on this forum who wouldn't piss on mildrens if they were burning. But lets not get into details. Try doing a search for mildren and see some of the quarms ppl have.

The usual quarms are that mildrens have no idea what the problems are, then do a whole lot of unnecessary work and or loads of unnecessary parts to do a half arsed job at fixing it, then charging the national debt for it and thinking that it's the only way.

anyway, enough from me.
    I am just glad the problem wasn't serious, a major service replaceing all fluids and oil filter, air filter, etc.. and the car is honestly running just a well if not better then the day I drove it outa the showroom.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

eeep - dangerous territory bagging mechanics by name on a public forum....

However, glad it was sorted. But a couple of queries. Timing and idle are not adjustable things i would have thought - these days its all computer controled. Plus, new injectors at 70K km? Sounds odd -you sure they wernt just cleaned?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    eeep - dangerous territory bagging mechanics by name on a public forum....

However, glad it was sorted. But a couple of queries. Timing and idle are not adjustable things i would have thought - these days its all computer controled. Plus, new injectors at 70K km? Sounds odd -you sure they wernt just cleaned?
    Indeed. Are you sure you know who's duped you?

It would be a very simple thing to check if the oil and coolant had been changed following a service, for example. Blind trust counts for nothing in the car game, I've found.

And yes, timing and idle speed are not adjustable, and controlled by the ECU.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

NBJ (& all)
    I'm now a beleiver in fuel filter replacement too. You will be suprised at the crap that it catches. So I'm glad your car is running well again but also suggest you have the fuel filter replaced, its cheap and easy and worth while. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    I know many people, many on this forum and many not on this forum who wouldn't piss on ..... if they were burning. But lets not get into details. Try doing a search for ..... and see some of the quarms ppl have.
    Id rather have my arm chewed of by a pack of gummy bears than take my car to a dealer... what were you thinking

Good to see you have seent the light...

P.S. Im not mentioning and dealership by name so dont sue me

P.S.S. Wanna name the mechanic you took your car too? Obviously your pleased with the service share the love with us

Thread Information