205 gti electrical prob
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 gti electrical prob

When I put the lights on full, or high beams something triggers a quick engine cut out, and if i keep doing this the dash light (efi or ignition froblem) flashes on then goes off after 30 secs or so.
    Is this a common problem? coz autoelectricians are expensive.

Advertisement

Tadpole

Now the warning light is constantly on, Im thinking this is just a short coz there doesnt seem to be any FI or ignition problem. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by spiral27
    Now the warning light is constantly on, Im thinking this is just a short coz there doesnt seem to be any FI or ignition problem. Any ideas?
    Alternator perhaps? Can you measure the battery voltage while the engine is off, then when the engine is running?

Try pulling a diagnostic code to see whats causing the warning light.

Tadpole

Sorry, this is all new to me, but how do you get a diagnostic code?

whoops my bad, it would appear not all GTi's have a diagnostic fault code capability.

"The Jetronic ECU on most GTIs doesn't give out fault codes, only the later Motronic ECUs in the Cat models do"

can anyone confirm this?

Tadpole

Mine is deffinately pre cat. It is a very strange problem, it only happens every now and then. And since this morning the warning light has gone off.

If your car is a 91, then it will have a cat.

Mine is deffinately pre cat. It is a very strange problem, it only happens every now and then. And since this morning the warning light has gone off.
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

Tadpole

I have found out from the previous owner that it is just an earthing short, but not serious, and that its a character trait. The fuel stopping for the short while during the short causing the engine light to come on. Guess Ill have to drive during the day heh?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B
    If your car is a 91, then it will have a cat.
    all oz delivered gtis had cats.

easiest way to destinguish if yours either runs a jetronic ecu or a motronic ecu, is that your 75kw (s1 & s2 - early tail lights, orange front light indicators, 14" rims pre 91) will run the jetronic, and 90kw (s3 - later tail lights, clear light indicators, 15" rims) will obviously run a motronic ecu.

i thought all series of gti gave out fault codes.

anyone care to elaborate? i'd be interested.

who here has the link to the codes? i lost the link

btw, spiral welcome to af. never thought earthing was a character trait - just bad wiring , actually... but having said that, ive never had any electrical problems with either my gtis.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

This is vaguely similar to a one-off problem I had to my Mi16, where I flashed and it compeltely died. I had to call NRMA, and in a fit of friendliness and efficiency, he quickly traced the fault to bad wiring way under the dash.

It was a couple of the thicker wires under the steering column and above the pedals that had been modified before I got the car, I suspect to fit the after-market cruise control that I had promptly taken off the car when I got it.

The wires had been fairly crudely cut, terminated and rejoined, and he let me know that it was a significant fire risk. They were already blackened, and this was confirmed when I had them professionally repaired.

Why I am relating all this is simply because of the risk. Peugeots and carfires seem to be strange bedfellows for whatever reason. Don't risk it.

Chris

well I got my Vin number, then went here

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/info/techspecs.html

and found out I had a XU9JA-D6B, 90kW which according to that page has a LE2 Jetronic. Mine is a 1989. I thought you could pull fault codes from that, but now I'm not so sure.

Tadpole

easiest way to destinguish if yours either runs a jetronic ecu or a motronic ecu, is that your 75kw (s1 & s2 - early tail lights, orange front light indicators, 14" rims pre 91) will run the jetronic, and 90kw (s3 - later tail lights, clear light indicators, 15" rims) will obviously run a motronic ecu.

OK well then its motronic...
    thanks.
    Now then how do you pull a fault code? sigh..

OK well then its motronic...
    thanks.
    Now then how do you pull a fault code? sigh..
    If you don't have a cat, then you've either got a private import or someone's ripped it out.
    All cars since I think it was '86/7 were fitted with cats as a matter of law which is why the BX16V series one (released 1987) was never imported out here.
    If you know what one looks like, it's just as easy to stick your head under the car and directly under the driver there should be a flat looking muffler that is only about 18" long; that's the cat.

As far as reading the codes; take a look at the common fixes board or do a search. I'll save you the trouble;

Citroen BX TZi ECU diagnostic codes

That's for a BXTZi which should be the same as your car.
    I have the K light on in my 16V at present and when I get around to it I'll do a read out of the codes. Don't panic, it only tells you that something's malfunctioned.
    If you only want to get rid of the light, disconnect the battery for an hour or so and that will clear the memory of the ECU and you start all over again.

Alan S

PS. A word to the wise. Forget taking too much to heart as regards advice on models from overseas. They got a lot of models we never saw so using them as reference can at times be misleading. As an example, the BX was not fitted with the cat in the UK as per regulations until 1993. Prior to that it was optional, yet we had all of our BX past '86 fitted with them and I'm fairly sure the Pugs were the same. They also had a 2 litre BX16V as well as one with a steel bonnet neither of which we saw. I point this out so that you don't start following well meaning but incorrect advice from people very knowledgeable on the 205 in thier region but not as regards our local scene when it comes to models imported.
    Last edited by Alan S; 3rd August 2005 at 10:25 AM.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Sounds to me like the previous owner was just lazy and didn't want to look into the fault!
    All cars electrics will have there own "traits" and tracking a electrical fault will probably be different for everyone. Over the last year or so I have been sanding/adjusting and replacing lots of plugs as the originals are all diseased with surface rust on the connectors, causing failures and shorts.
    The problem you are having happened to me also... and sounds identical. Before I went straight to the auto elec and brought a new alternator, I just ran a few tests. By using a multi-meter I noticed that the Alternator was working intermitedly, therfore not always charging the battery. A couple of times I got caught out with a flat battery... even while driving, the car would lose all it's power, stalling when the engine got to idle speeds. A quick jump start, the alternator is charging again, I get home.
    ANSWER: I pulled the alternator out, sanded/cleaned/tightened the plug on the body of the alternator, re-fitted, never had a problem since. VERY simple! (the French didn't make plugs to last!)
    MayheM

Tadpole

cool thanks i'll give that a try.
    205 GTI '91' Series III - Sorrento Green...Slightly Stock

Thread Information