Upgrading rear brakes on 306
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Upgrading rear brakes on 306

Is it possible to convert my 306 from rear brake shoes to rear disc pads? Someone please help me

Advertisement

Kevin

Fellow Frogger!

Yes it is, but why bother.

You have a 306 in the US? Thats gotta be a rare sight!!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    You have a 306 in the US? Thats gotta be a rare sight!!
    well i'm from trinidad actually. and i just installed a blacktop 4AGE engine. the sucker is really fast and just have some electrics to sort out before the pug is back on the road.

only thing the car will be too fast for the stock braking system, that's why i need to look at upgrading it if possible...looking for some aftermarket suspension parts to do the trick.

Is that a Toyota engine??!

you could of gotten more power out of the pug engine depending on what model it was...

the pug heads are a much much better design.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL
    you could of gotten more power out of the pug engine depending on what model it was...

the pug heads are a much much better design.

Well, in trinidad the weather is really hot, not good for those alluminium blocks. I had two blocks that leaked water and that is why now i chose to not go pug for engine. Those cars made for cold weather.

I'm going to start back rallying with the pug so the extra juice from the toyota (20 valve 1.6l) will be suitable for handling those off-roads.

Pug engines are nice, but in weather like we have here it's difficult.

They cope with the heat in Africa, Australia and southern Europe just fine . Sounds like you had issues with an individual engine - dont write off Pug engines as a whole.

Fellow Frogger!

I was under the impression that XU9 and XU10 had cast steel blocks and alloy heads

for the guys that dont know, the 20 valve is a screamer of a motor with 120kws 1.6 and the heads were done by yamaha and flow very good.the factory limiter is above the 8000 mark. and there is heaps more performance parts for it than any pug.
    strange too see it in a pug but! congrats on having a go and succeding.
    the rear suspension arms mite need too be replaced too fit discs instead of fitting too youre arms,but give it a go. i just think the bearings mite be diferent cos the discs setup is a later design and the stub axles could be thicker.
    if you want slightly bigger front brakes you can bolt on most 406 brakes. the base 406 item are about 2cms diameter bigger and thicker. if you lucky some of the coupes had 4 spot brembos with big ass dics.just wheel ofsets will be a little bit of a issue cos the stick out a bit.
    gud luck
    i speed up for round abouts,corners and chikanes

Tadpole

Icon14

ahhh someone who knows my engine...i changed the pug engine before so it's not just a matter of one bad engine. in fact the problem with the block leaking water is very common here in trinidad, and of course the company servicing these cars get lots of work!

i must admit that putting the 4AGE in was some work, we had to make over mounts etc but it's looking damn good, like stock!

i'll check out the 406 brakes and see how practical it will be but it sounds like something to give a shot.

once my electricals are ran the pug will be on the road again and better than ever!! i cant wait, and thanks all for your assistance.

i'll let you all know how things go, i dont wanna take the speed limiter off and juice up the engine until i have brakes to match, driving manual is such fun eh

thanks

Fellow Frogger!

the 406 brembo brakes dont bolt straight on.

Thread Information