306 GTI6 Fuel Smell
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 GTI6 Fuel Smell

I have a N5 306 GTI6. I am getting a very strong fuel smell when I drive the car. It smells like its coming from the rear drivers side (filler cap side). I have had the car 3 years and this is not the first time I have smelt fuel this strongly. Fortunately I have tracked the leak down on the previous 2 occasions.

First time was the elbows for the fuel line going into injection rail on top of the engine. Replaced the hose and the clamps and problem fixed (Approx 2 years ago).

Second time as the gas vapour line to the activated charcoal canister in the front drivers side guard. Reattached the fitting and the problem was gone (also about 2 years ago).

This time I have checked each of these faults and still can't find it. Could this be related the recall that I see people talking about?

Could the exhaust sensor be faulty and thus cause a constant overfueling scenario? Don't get to drive the car very often these days so can't really comment on fuel consumption. Have only done about 3,000 km in the last year! but will monitor usage on this tank.

Advertisement

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

3K in the last year

bah

i have done around 100km's yes you read it right in the 306 this year

i might take it for a spin in the next couple of weeks and put another 20-30 km's on it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    3K in the last year

bah

i have done around 100km's yes you read it right in the 306 this year

i might take it for a spin in the next couple of weeks and put another 20-30 km's on it
    Is that by choice? I had to work overseas and interstate for 10 months last year. I was driving a camry, various Fords and Nissans while I was away. Really missed driving the GTI6.

1000+ Posts

I think the fuel pump and filter are at the back near the tank. If so, I'd slide under the car on stands and check all the fuel hoses around the pump.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning
    Is that by choice? I had to work overseas and interstate for 10 months last year. I was driving a camry, various Fords and Nissans while I was away. Really missed driving the GTI6.

yes and no

i don't like to run it around town, turning it off cold and that type of thing plus it had a flat battery for a while and i didn't have any time to get another one for it

it also needs a new power steer cylinder so i tend not to use it till i get another one to put in it as it leaks pretty bad and tends to smoke up everywhere from the oil hitting the exhaust so i just leave it in the garage covered up

i miss it for it's great to drive but on a trip it gets tiresome and i always feel like i have travelled in it where as the 604 i get out nice a refreshed as it is more comfortable

short drives for around an hour each way aren't too bad though but anymore than that and the stiff ride starts to get to me

the 604 has made me soft
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

did you get the recall on the fuel filler done recently? It was to replace the pipe between the fuel filler neck and the fuel tank (which purportedly could deteriorate leading to fuel smells or in rare cases, seepage). This recall applied ot all N5 306's (hence all gti6's)
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Lightning:

Does the smell get stronger after a fill-up?? cos I had a similar problem on my '6 anf track it down to a cracked breather

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Was there not a thread some months ago where the problem was found under a rubber bung, under the rear seat? worth a look!

ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Was there not a thread some months ago where the problem was found under a rubber bung, under the rear seat? worth a look!

ed ge
    Thanks everyone. I called the dealer about the recall but din't have my VIN number so I have not been able to confirm whether mine is affected. Will find out tomorrow. Otherwise I will have a decent squiz next time I am at home during daylight (on the weekend!).

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    short drives for around an hour each way aren't too bad though but anymore than that and the stiff ride starts to get to me

the 604 has made me soft
    yes it has!
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    yes it has!
    Called Peugeot today, gave them my VIN number and they said they would call me back. I heard from them later on in the day only to hear that my car did not have an Australian VIN Number which I told them when I called them the first time (as it is a personal import). Taking it in tomorrow for them to have a look at it and to determine whether the recall applies. Will advise what happens.

Thread Information