l0ocation and bypass of 504 detent(?) switch
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default l0ocation and bypass of 504 detent(?) switch

I've finally (i think) traced the non start electrical problem to a detent switch that (finally) died after the mechanic had replaced the starter motor at my request after chasing the intermittent problem and not finding one....

Naturally, the car died permanently 2 days after the starter motor was replaced. I've since changed the ignition switch to another and back again without changing the situation.

Where is it (the switch) and can it be easily replaced or even temporarily/permanently bypassed?

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BarryC
    I've finally (i think) traced the non start electrical problem to a detent switch that (finally) died after the mechanic had replaced the starter motor at my request after chasing the intermittent problem and not finding one....

Naturally, the car died permanently 2 days after the starter motor was replaced. I've since changed the ignition switch to another and back again without changing the situation.

Where is it (the switch) and can it be easily replaced or even temporarily/permanently bypassed?

the switch should be underneath the car and mounted on the tranny where the selector goes

you can by pass them

you will have 4 wires

2 wires are for the reverse lights and the other 2 are for the lockout

from memory the 2 larger ones are the ones you need to bridge but just check your wireing

hope that helps
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default 504 detent.

Barry C,
    You will find the detent/start inhibitor relay between the battery tray and screen wash bottle. Will have the brand "Mixo" on it.
    If the gearbox switch is faulty it may affect your reverse lights as well.
    Servicing a new 504 years ago with a ZF auto we had a lot of strife with these. I think it was cured with an auxilliary relay.

Fellow Frogger!

Default ON a BW as well?

I assume this relay and diagnosis also works with a BW 35 as well? I'll go outside and have a look

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Barry C,
    You will find the detent/start inhibitor relay between the battery tray and screen wash bottle. Will have the brand "Mixo" on it.
    Servicing a new 504 years ago with a ZF auto we had a lot of strife with these. I think it was cured with an auxilliary relay.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Detent capers

I knew a guy once who removed the detent and one day started his car standing outside of it with one foot on the accelerator.

Result it took off around the BigW car Park in Bunbury with his right leg emulating a skate board rider pushing for more speed.

They towed eight other cars away by the time it was brought to a halt center punching a car and pushing it into another 2.

One of the written off cars had just been picked up brand new from the dealer 500 mts down the road!

I guess they are there for a reason.

Graelin

Default 504 detent/relay

Quote Originally Posted by BarryC
    I assume this relay and diagnosis also works with a BW 35 as well? I'll go outside and have a look

Thanks
    BarryC.
    Sorry, I thought, for no reason, you meant BW 35.
    Graelin's post re by passed inhibitor switches. Burn It Into Your Brain!

Fellow Frogger!

Default Found the relay

Found the relay

Will get the mechanic (not me) to investigate - no I don't think it's a good idea to bypass it. They're not cheap to replace, but hopefully it's the relay and not the switch itself

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Barry C,

Thread Information