identifying that thingy on the 405
  • Register
  • Help

Default identifying that thingy on the 405

Hi there,
    I have a recently acquired '90 405 SRI that doesnt run too well at all when cold, but fine when it warms up.
    I have found a small electronic widget that is hanging off the end of a wire, and am wondering whether this widget is some sort of heat sensor.
    The car has a Bosch Motronic system - I think it is an mp3.1 from the illustrations I have got hold of from the Haynes manual. (It has a bright metal plate mounted vertically beside the battery with 2 electronic multi plugs attached to it. A major part of the electronics is under a plastic cover behind the firewall (precariously placed above the rain drainage hole)- this electronic unit is identified as Bosch Motronic 0261 200 205)
    The widget that is hanging loose is connected to the single blue wire that comes out of the electronic unit attached under the arch of the inlet manifold pipes - this unit has a thick black plug and cable, but also a single blue wire. The blue wire is short (about 20cm). Hanging off the end of the blue wire is a short green wire (also about 20 cm) and on the end is the unknown widget. - it is black rubbery plastic, about 2.5cm x 2 cmx .5 cm with the words Facon and Made in France on it, and also 2022 and 2.2up (this letter 'u' looks more like a Greek letter, and suspiciously like an electrical symbol.) on the free end it has a metal tab which appears to have broken off - I cant see where it should be attached, and no idea what it is called to get another one.
    (Sorry about about the lengthy description - I dont have a digital camera !!)

Advertisement

Any advice on name and function of this little beastie would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers
    Cabbage Tree

hi cabbage

i got that too, just cable tied it to one of the hose. Don't know what it does too some noise cancellation thingy? Just guessing

That will be a noise supressor, 'u' with a longer stroke represents micro. it might have an f after the u... which would mean microfarad.

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting how your 1990 SRi is Motronic. My '90 SRi is L3.1 Jetronic.

Yours is still English assembled I take it?

"That will be a noise supressor, 'u' with a longer stroke represents micro. it might have an f after the u... which would mean microfarad."

Yes its a bit scratched up but in fact it looks more like an "F" than a P - thanks to you both - oh well -I'll carry on looking for the real cause of the poor cold running.
    Cheers

"Interesting how your 1990 SRi is Motronic. My '90 SRi is L3.1 Jetronic.

Yours is still English assembled I take it?"

Yes mine in English assembled - a guy who wrecks them told me that about 1 in 5 he's wrecked have been like mine - Motronic with the shiny metallic plate next to the battery - perhaps just in the same way some have Bosch distributor -others Ducellier (mine incidentally has the Bosch Motronic system, but Ducellier distributor with no vacuum advance (or anything else) in the distributor -just a rotor, cap and high tension leads.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbage tree
    "That will be a noise supressor, 'u' with a longer stroke represents micro. it might have an f after the u... which would mean microfarad."

Yes its a bit scratched up but in fact it looks more like an "F" than a P - thanks to you both - oh well -I'll carry on looking for the real cause of the poor cold running.
    Cheers
    It could be a P which would be picofarads, even smaller than microfarads.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information