Wet Brakes
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Wet Brakes

mlb

Default Wet Brakes

Does anyone know of a way to keep brake disks reasonably dry when driving in the rain. Wet day here today and after driving 20 mins on the highway without touching the brakes, I found that they weren't there when I needed them. A couple of touches on the pedal dried things up - well a little. From then on the car pulled to the left when I braked, so obviously the right hand wheels weren't biting as they should.

It wasn't until I reached town and started using them again did things work as they should. Very disconcerting to apply the brakes at 120km/h and nothing happens or the car pulls off to the side.

Advertisement

Any solutions would be good, or is it something we have to live with?

Thanks

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

I don't see any way you can do anything other than occasionally letting the brakes drag with light pressure on the pedal as you keep your foot on the accelerator to keep up speed...

Can't say that I've ever experienced this, though that might just mean my lack of use of brakes means I simply don't notice. Or maybe it's the type of pads.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mlb
    Does anyone know of a way to keep brake disks reasonably dry when driving in the rain. Wet day here today and after driving 20 mins on the highway without touching the brakes, I found that they weren't there when I needed them. A couple of touches on the pedal dried things up - well a little. From then on the car pulled to the left when I braked, so obviously the right hand wheels weren't biting as they should.

It wasn't until I reached town and started using them again did things work as they should. Very disconcerting to apply the brakes at 120km/h and nothing happens or the car pulls off to the side.

Any solutions would be good, or is it something we have to live with?

Thanks

Matt
    I can't see how discs can hold water at speed. Unless the pads are binding due to a leaky wheel cylinder.

And what are you doing speeds of 120km/h for? Is that legal? Every K over is a Killer.

Well, mine certainly do that...

Discs will still get wet and remain wet to some extent. As for the last bit of nonsense, well, he's a Tasmanian, they learned to drive there.

Default Wet brakes..

Matt,
    Check your front wheel bearings for excess play, if for instance once side is loose it will tend to "kick off" the pad. This will cause pulling to one side.
    Wet brakes? Do as Ray does, ride the pedal for a short distance. Left foot braking?

or maybe sloppy/worn caliper or pads on that side.
    it may be that they were cold from not using them.
    my 205 has mintex 1144's pads.they dont like cold weather and will react similar to what you describe bar the pulling to the side.
    first aplication in the morning sometimes fell like its not working at all.
    second application and they bite like a bullterrier.
    -BAZZ

Were you driving the Liberty? Mine also does this when it is wet. Just takes about a second to start working though. I can only imagine it would be a problem if you were very close to the person in front.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

1000+ Posts

I've always dried the brakes of my cars by left foot application in heavy rain/puddles. I thought it was standard practice. Anyway, it works.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Standard practice after fording swollen rivers or driving through water a foot deep... not mere puddles...

Fellow Frogger!

Default My Invention

On my Yamaha '74 RD350 I had this problem so being somewhat inventive young chap at the time took a VW Beetle windsceen wiper blade modified it to fit so it rubbed on the disc.

Yes it worked real well until I did a high speed stop and it melted.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Graelin

It seems that there are few out there who remember drum brakes on the front. (Spoilt French car drivers who have had discs longer than most others).

Drive to the conditions. When it is wet, the braking distance greatly increases, as a result you slow down and brake earlier.

Be very careful of the left foot braking, it can be a fine line between "padding out" the water and cooking the discs.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Originally posted by Gamma
    It seems that there are few out there who remember drum brakes on the front. (Spoilt French car drivers who have had discs longer than most others).....
    Actually, I remember a conversation with Mike Kable (Motoring Editor of The Australian FWIW) on this subject... that conversation dating back to when all Pugs were still all drum-braked.

"Mercedes went over to discs (about 1964?) and that left Alfa with the best drum brakes in the world... now Alfa have discs, so it's Peugeot who have the best drum brakes in the world!"

So Peugeot drivers haven't been 'spoiled' for all that long with discs!

mlb

Thanks for the help guys.

I have only had it happen to me once before and that way first thing on a cold wet morning at the first corner 100m from my house. As for yesterday it was cold, wet and windy, so it could have been a mixture of the water and the brakes not being at a good enough temperature. It was pulling towards the wind when I braked, so it could be that the downwind wheels were accumulating all the carp being blown across and hence were not working effectively. On the way home in the dry and warmer weather it wasn't an issue, brakes worked and the car didn't pull, so it's definately a weather thing.

I'm not that concerned about it personally, but with my wife driving the Pug normally, loss of brakes wouldn't do the 'Save My Pug' campaign any favours.

And in my defence, I did have adequate stopping distance between myself and the car infront, but when you apply the brakes and they don't work, that distance rapidly decreases, especially when you're approaching a slower car. As for the 120km/h, we still have 10% in Tassie, so it's ok. Mind you I got done for 123km/h the other week - missed by that much

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Standard practice after fording swollen rivers or driving through water a foot deep... not mere puddles...
    In my experience there is no doubt that the excess water on one side of the lane because of camber can drench the brakes on one side and cause a momentary pull. If I go through a splash of a puddle, I always dab the brakes immediately, before they're needed again.

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 30th July 2005 at 04:48 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Default Wet brakes,

Matt,
    Your last comment reminded me of two constants that are forever related to motoring.
    [1] Your car will have a never before experienced burst of acceleration just as your brakes fail!
    [2] Your engine will have an incredible increase in power seconds before it spreads its innards all over the track/road.

Quote Originally Posted by mlb
    so it could be that the downwind wheels were accumulating all the carp being blown across and hence were not working effectively.Matt
    It must have been raining really heavily, and mighty windy as well.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by XM Mechanic
    It must have been raining really heavily, and mighty windy as well.
    It was pretty wet, but as windy as hell! You know, typical Tassie day

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin
    On my Yamaha '74 RD350 I had this problem so being somewhat inventive young chap at the time took a VW Beetle windsceen wiper blade modified it to fit so it rubbed on the disc.

Yes it worked real well until I did a high speed stop and it melted.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Graelin
    Yeah, I was going to mention bikes. Graelin, remember when they first came out with 'stainless' discs - and they wouldn't stop in the rain? You had to ride with one finger on the lever in heavy rain, occasionally applying pressure. I guess the RD had this problem. I vaguely remember Hondas - CB350, CB750 from memory - had the problem.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default They looked good

Yes Stuey those new discs (Early 70s) on the Japanese bikes looked good while the Dukes went all rusty. Smiles on the Duke rider face tho when raining.
    Graelin

Thread Information