what battery do you have in your 205gti /frenchy?
  • Register
  • Help

Default what battery do you have in your 205gti /frenchy?

my s1 is running an exide pdin55 battery that set me back 130 odd dollars a few years back. i havent had any trouble with it. it has a visible indicator for its charge status.

i am shopping around for a battery for the s3, as its battery warning light has been flashing.

im considering purchasing another exide pdin55 battery as it has given me trouble free motoring, for the last 3 years in the s1. it also came with a 2 year warranty.

i know the "oem" batteries are about $125 when i last looked but dont have a visible charge indicator, and cant remember if it had a warranty.

what brand/type of battery are you running in your 205gti? or other frenchy.

what battery do you recommend?

all advice, considered, cautiously

i

Advertisement
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i run an exide DIN55 in the 306 and it has chewed it up in 2 years flat as the last one before that and before that, in fact each battery has lasted 2 years

exide make a pretty good battery but then again i deliver enough of them just about everyday as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

i am using cheapo Century cost me about $80, plus $7 for custom made battery holder I think the top of the line bosch is quite good or just go back to OEM for peace of mind

Mine's not french but I have an equivalent exide battery by the sounds of it (with fold-up carry handle).

Re your battery light coming on - is it the battery or the alternator?

Pugrambo, 2yrs isn't very good life for a battery, are 306's notorious for eating them? I know my uncles HJ75 Landcruiser would go through them quick.

Quote Originally Posted by johnh875
    Mine's not french but I have an equivalent exide battery by the sounds of it (with fold-up carry handle).

Re your battery light coming on - is it the battery or the alternator?

Pugrambo, 2yrs isn't very good life for a battery, are 306's notorious for eating them? I know my uncles HJ75 Landcruiser would go through them quick.

a few 306's i know of have eaten them up pretty quick

heat and vibrations are their greatest enemies

if you can fit a DIN66 in there go for it as they have around 600CCA over the 460CCA of the 55 and will last longer

i have no choice unless i move the battery to the boot and if i did that i would go for a H550E exide

they are a more rugged battery

exide aren't too bad and to make it better they are australian made
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

I use whatever is cheapest at K Mart - last time I paid $40.

While I don't doubt a $120+ battery is better, I can buy 3+ for the same money. I find it very difficult to justify paying 3x for a commodity item.

Barry.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by barryg

While I don't doubt a $120+ battery is better, I can buy 3+ for the same money. I find it very difficult to justify paying 3x for a commodity item.

Barry.
    What's more the cheap batteries are very light, I have paid as little as $28 at K-Mart.
    Gordon Miller of Worm Register fame had a Czechoslovakian battery in his 505 GR from new which lasted over 12 years!
    Graham

Barry.

trouble with that barry is that you can't get a DIN for $40 and many of the new pugs need a DIN battery due to under bonnet clearance

the lighter the battery the less CCA they are generally

some batteries though can be small but have around 3-450CCA where as you can get 'normal' sized batteried with only 260CCA

6 volt batteries are 270CCA and no you don't get 540CCA with a pair of them as in a 203

so yes it may be criminal paying $120+ for a battery but if you don't have a choice then you live with it or sell the car

$120 for a battery is quite cheap though when you look at the prices of some others for 4WD's and the like
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Barry.

oh i forgot

most K-marts sell exide batteries as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

i remember purchasing a battery from a local peugeot dealer for the 306, and it was also a century battery. good battery, actually.

so pugrambo, im on a good thing then yah? exide din55 yah? last night i thought i'd take advantage of kmart's 20% off and purchased another battery... exide P406F "premium" for $80, reduced. anyone know of the battery? if its crap, i can always return it .

yeah kmarts sell exide batteries, but the staff's knowledge is minimal (understandable) and is no help to a battery chump_like me. to make matters worse they dont even have any peugeots listed in the exide instore guides.

havent checked yet but i hope that P406F exide battery fits.

what lifespan should one expect on a battery?

and to a novice, apart from having the terminals on the "correct side", how should one decide on an appropriate battery?

should price and warranty be the main determining factors?

can any battery "european style"_terminals positioned the correct way_be fitted to any frenchie regardless of battery capacity, volts, etc, etc, without problems? if this is so, does that mean i can use any car battery for my car????

thanks in advance
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

460F will have 460CCA

it should be ok but will it fit in the 205 ?

you would have been better off with a 37A or 550H or HE if you don't need a DIN battery
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I'll see what batt i've got but she's a warrior...

ran it completely dry for about 4 weeks, (had a few starting issuies)

then topped her up with water and away she went haven't had a problem since... i've got a 94 306 s16...

but check your water levels... might just be that...

I'm a big fan of the pricy but VERY VERY reliable Gel-Cel from Optima; Red tops, Yellow tops and Blue tops.
    Had a red top in the 306 now for over 5 years, and still going strong. Cost $399, but had 880 CCA and could deep cycle VERY easily, super strong post terminals, 100% maintenance free (it has nothing to top up!!) and never corroded around the terminals, ever. - Chris
    ... ptui!

i use a din 55 century on the 205 gti i also have a voltage meter in the pos battery terminal.
    stay clear of the racv battery's.
    they are made from recycled lead from old batteries.
    thailand is the only country left that will recycle lead plates from batteries.
    however they hold 15-23 percent undisolved chemicals that wont come out during recycle.
    the upshot is you get a battery that will charge up to the right voltage but will only hold it for about 80 percent of the usual time at full charge.
    mine cost 110 fitted and delivered.-BAZZ

Tadpole

I've had bad luck with batteries from the NRMA...will never buy from them again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i use a din 55 century on the 205 gti i also have a voltage meter in the pos battery terminal.
    however they hold 15-23 percent undisolved chemicals that wont come out during recycle.
    the upshot is you get a battery that will charge up to the right voltage but will only hold it for about 80 percent of the usual time at full charge.

ummm i thought batteries had around 80% of the materials in them that were able to be recycled

most warranty batteries go back to get recycled and put back into circulation again

amazingly we get some warranty ones back and just top them up with acid and charge them up and use them in the trucks without any dramas at all
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    Locally (NZ) made exides are recycled material and seem to be an OK battery.
    My choices- Century or Hella Endurant.

Farmerdave

... finally got the exide 460F battery in today... and yup rambo, it did fit _only just though_as the previos owner seemed to have rendered the points and the "battery bay" to fit another battery.

anyone purchase a battery charger?

are they a worthwhile investment?

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Thread Information