405 idle rpm
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405 idle rpm

Default 405 idle rpm

Hi

After replacing the cam belt in March, I went back to alpine affaire for further adjustment coz the belt is flapping, the Mi16 runs fine now, but the cold start idle engine speed drops from 1500rpm to 1200rpm is this the normal cold start engine speed? Anyone know what is the standard idle speed? Thanks.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    Hi

After replacing the cam belt in March, I went back to alpine affaire for further adjustment coz the belt is flapping, the Mi16 runs fine now, but the cold start idle engine speed drops from 1500rpm to 1200rpm is this the normal cold start engine speed? Anyone know what is the standard idle speed? Thanks.
    flapping cam belt?? What was the explanation for that?
    I'd be asking for them to do a complete check of the cambelt because if it was flapping, it hasn't been set right in the first place and that may even be you problem in part.
    Ours run at around the 1200 - 1500 when cold, dropping back to 900/1000 when up to temperature which is around normal.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Sounds like you were very lucky to not lose the motor - cam belts dont like being set wrong. As the mechanic that did a cam belt on my aunties Volvo S80 T6 found out - he mucked it up, and it skipped a few notches the next day at high rpm. $6500 in parts alone to rebuild the motor at the mechanics expense

As Alan said, rpm sound about right, but find out as a high priority why the belt was loose and dont let it happen again!!!!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thanks for the reply.

Flapping cam belt The mechanic at alpine affaire checked the bearings and belt when I go back telling them about the noise, at the end all it need is just tighten the tension for the belt and put a washer on the side cover so there's no more flapping noise. Not sure if it is fixed, but sounds much quiet every morning. Need to bring it out for a test run at Westgate bridge at high rpm If I need to spend $6500 to fix this lion I'll lock it up in garage and get a 205

I am super paranoid when doing timing belts, and make sure tensions are right and recheck it a couple times before firing it up. And make sure all bolts holding pulleys on are spotlessly clean and dry and tightened very accuratly.

I'm reasonably certain that the belt shouldnt need to be touched between changes.
    Last edited by Haakon; 28th July 2005 at 01:39 PM.

al

I would imagine that alpine wouldn't have made that bigger mistake with an Mi16... Half the people that work there drive the things and i have never had a problem with them... (actually recently they have been fantastic to both my car and my sisters)

I'm not sure what you were saying in the original question though - was it that when you start it revs up to 1500rpm before dropping to 1200 for a minute, then further down to the warm idle point? If so, mine does that. If not get back in touch with alpine as i'm sure they will be able to sort it pretty easily.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Before I went back for cam belt check up the cold start idle rpm is about 1500, after some adjustment, the cold start idle rpm is about 1200... so i thought the tensioner might be bit tight? Any suggestions?

They did checked the pulleys and bearings, everything is fine.

Timing belt over or under tension shouldnt have any effect on idle rpm - shouldnt put up that much resistance. I would be checking for any loose vacuam hoses that may have been disturbed during the belt work if the symptoms turned up after the belt change. If the idle is not consistant, might be worth looking at the idle stepper motor - they can get gummed up and cause an erratic idle. (my job for the weekend )

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    Thanks for the reply.

Flapping cam belt The mechanic at alpine affaire checked the bearings and belt when I go back telling them about the noise, at the end all it need is just tighten the tension for the belt and put a washer on the side cover so there's no more flapping noise. Not sure if it is fixed, but sounds much quiet every morning. Need to bring it out for a test run at Westgate bridge at high rpm If I need to spend $6500 to fix this lion I'll lock it up in garage and get a 205

Yeah the belt wouldn't have been flapping. The plastic covers tend to warp over time, especially after a couple of belt changes and the belt can actually rub on the inside of the cover...there's probably only 2-3 mm between the belt and cover. I had the same problem and a couple of washers did the trick.
    Your cold start idle sounds about the same as mine so that's all good.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Thanks. Less to worry Lets take some corners

Thread Information